The Mazi Smith Thread...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Bottom line, it’s foolish to play 245 pound Micah Parsons predominantly as a 4-3 DE. The better teams in the league will shut him down— in easy grasp of NFL OT’s he’s too thin to win, no matter how fast or quick he is. Then after grabbing him and chipping him in the passing game, they’ll run right over him.
I see Parsons as just like Von Miller. He was undersized also and had the same concerns. Remember when he first got to Denver under I think John Fox, they were a 43 team and he played off the ball until rush downs when they put him at end. Then when Wade got there they made him a full time 34 OLB along with Ware. (And they had one of the better defenses ever.)

To me, the 43 solution is a very imperfect workaround. That's why I would have preferred a 34 DC.

And I know everyone plays tons of nickel now, but we should know better than anyone that you can't always be in nickel. You do have to have a base defense that can defend the run and play all around solid football.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see Parsons as just like Von Miller. He was undersized also and had the same concerns. Remember when he first got to Denver under I think John Fox, they were a 43 team and he played off the ball until rush downs when they put him at end. Then when Wade got there they made him a full time 34 OLB along with Ware. (And they had one of the better defenses ever.)

To me, the 43 solution is a very imperfect workaround. That's why I would have preferred a 34 DC.

And I know everyone plays tons of nickel now, but we should know better than anyone that you can't always be in nickel. You do have to have a base defense that can defend the run and play all around solid football.
He is built a lot like Vonn Miller. Everyone talks about Parsons like he always had his hand in the dirt last year. But I remember him having a two point stance a lot. Even Lawrence rushed from a two point stance a good amount. Sure they were rushing the passer from. that two point stance but that's no different than most 3-4 OLBers. So last year when the Cowboys had 3 down lineman and Parsons with his hand off the ground, it's sort of a 3-4 concept.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He is built a lot like Vonn Miller. Everyone talks about Parsons like he always had his hand in the dirt last year. But I remember him having a two point stance a lot. Even Lawrence rushed from a two point stance a good amount. Sure they were rushing the passer from. that two point stance but that's no different than most 3-4 OLBers. So last year when the Cowboys had 3 down lineman and Parsons with his hand off the ground, it's sort of a 3-4 concept.
He definitely lines up in a 2 point stance quite a lot, by design playing that Elephant or Leo position the Seahawks played with Chris Clemens and Bruce Irvin.

But we really need to get better elsewhere up front for that to work right. I don’t think Parsons (who’s smaller than either of those two) can run that spot without two 5-technique type guys to help him out (like they had in Seattle) and we are lacking at that 5-tech body type.

It’s not so much that Parsons is small, but it’s the overall lack of size on the field when he plays 4-3 DE. He’s going to wear down.

But if he was a Will who could blitz from either side or the middle as a complement to four down linemen we’d have a very powerful and dynamic front. Nothing would stop Parsons from rushing off the edge in clear passing situations either.

The guy is special, and I feel like we’re wasting some of his potential

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
I guess Michigan has pretty soft standards.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jesus Christ.
Say that reminds me, there were a couple of threads that wandered onto the topic of Taco Mazi that I need to merge in here.

Any of you junior mods want an assignment? Special High Intensity Training is also available.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He did drop a “Dan wanted him to do” thing.
I mean I'm fairly certain it was a Dan Quinn or team request. I just can't imagine a fat boy like that dropping that much weight without being forced to do so by someone else. But the good news is it sounds like Mazi is going to make a massive leap and be an impact player next year...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I mean I'm fairly certain it was a Dan Quinn or team request. I just can't imagine a fat boy like that dropping that much weight without being forced to do so by someone else. But the good news is it sounds like Mazi is going to make a massive leap and be an impact player next year...
He also does not appear to be a very motivated individual with his shit together. He cannot even manage paying his storage unit bill.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Talking about technique, not losing 40 lbs.
Well, Goof Son had every opportunity to discuss it at breakfast while Deddy ate his salted McGriddle. They got it all figured out. He is exactly where he needs to be.

Case closed!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Per Goof Son:

“I think another year with Mazi – I know Zim is looking forward to working with him – I just think that Mazi is going to step up and be a really good football player," he said. "There's usually big defensive tackles out there that you can pick up. I know the Eagles picked up a couple a couple years ago late in the game. I just feel like there's gonna be some opportunities there at that position as well to add some depth and competition for camp."

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
God I miss the days of Parcells just calling guys out.

Now I guess everyone is so afraid of hurting their feelers, they can't get within a hundred miles of criticism.

Top Bottom