The Mazi Smith Thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd say it is a moderately big deal.

Maybe but it's certainly not earth shattering to the point that you'd suppress reporting of it.

I think there's a good chance that if Mazi isn't good enough, it's because of him, not anything regarding his weight.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe but it's certainly not earth shattering to the point that you'd suppress reporting of it.

I think there's a good chance that if Mazi isn't good enough, it's because of him, not anything regarding his weight.
Maybe but there is a massive difference between a 293 pound NT (They don't exist) and a 330 pound NT. That's like drafting Jake Ferguson and him dropping to 210 pounds. That much weight loss gives you zero chance at the position you play. So good enough or not, at the new weight he isn't a NT.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Sam Williams is dumb but at least he is passionate and talented.
Doesn't matter how talented or passionate he is if you can't count on him. Stupid will burn you every time.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Maybe but there is a massive difference between a 293 pound NT (They don't exist) and a 330 pound NT. That's like drafting Jake Ferguson and him dropping to 210 pounds. That much weight loss gives you zero chance at the position you play. So good enough or not, at the new weight he isn't a NT.

Would he have been good at 330 though? That's my point.

It's certainly a topic worth talking about which is why I've advocated for reporters asking about it.

I'm saying it's not so earth shattering (specifically talking about who ordered the code red weight loss) that asking the question needs to be suppressed like it's a military secret.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't matter how talented or passionate he is if you can't count on him. Stupid will burn you every time.
Stupid will eventually burn you. But I disagree. There have been lots of stupid NFL players that burned bright for a period of time. We have talked about Dez but that list is much longer than that. Antonio Brown was dumb as hell too but for a period of time he was an unstoppable force.

Plenty of guys on defense too. Hell, have you ever heard LT talk? That dude is not bright and he had all different types of other issues. But put him with a great coach and I'd say he was plenty good. Anyway, my point is dumb isn't by itself a complete end to a guys career. But dumb is a scale too. Are we Vontaze Burfict dumb, Dez Bryant dumb or are we in a different stratosphere. Now if you lack work ethic or a passion for the game, those are complete deal breakers in my opinion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know. Plenty of 330 pound NT's weren't good as rookies. That's not unusual at all. But given everything, totally possible he never would have developed. I hope he at least puts the weight back on so we can find out. At his current weight it's a zero percent chance. The guy certainly isn't a 3 technique and he isn't a NT at sub 300 pounds either.

p1_

DCC 4Life

It's certainly a topic worth talking about which is why I've advocated for reporters asking about it.

I'm saying it's not so earth shattering (specifically talking about who ordered the code red weight loss) that asking the question needs to be suppressed like it's a military secret.
Someone views it as really damning .

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Stupid will eventually burn you. But I disagree. There have been lots of stupid NFL players that burned bright for a period of time. We have talked about Dez but that list is much longer than that. Antonio Brown was dumb as hell too but for a period of time he was an unstoppable force.

Plenty of guys on defense too. Hell, have you ever heard LT talk? That dude is not bright and he had all different types of other issues. But put him with a great coach and I'd say he was plenty good. Anyway, my point is dumb isn't by itself a complete end to a guys career. But dumb is a scale too. Are we Vontaze Burfict dumb, Dez Bryant dumb or are we in a different stratosphere. Now if you lack work ethic or a passion for the game, those are complete deal breakers in my opinion.
those guys could play football. Their stupid was off the field. Sam plays with his.

Last edited:

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
I have yet to see much talent from Sam Williams either.

More dumb fucking penalties than sacks.

I guess he's fast.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
LT, sure. But Ware? Hardly.

DeMarcus Ware would never have been a Cowboy if Parcells had got his way.

If he had, we would have had Spears at 11 and Ware would have been long gone by 20.
True he preferred Spears, but that didn't mean he did not want Ware, and when he got him he knew how to use him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
True he preferred Spears, but that didn't mean he did not want Ware, and when he got him he knew how to use him.
So what? He “wanted” him. Big deal. Every year teams want players, but choose another instead.

The fact remains if it was up to Parcells, Ware is not a Cowboy.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So what? He “wanted” him. Big deal. Every year teams want players, but choose another instead.

The fact remains if it was up to Parcells, Ware is not a Cowboy.
The whole point is he knew how to use him when he got him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The whole point is he knew how to use him when he got him.
It still does not dispel the fact Parcells thought that Spears could do some of the shit he sold. On what fucking planet could Spears have ever played LBer?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Why do you say that, boozer? Spears was going to be his Leonard Marshall. (I thought so, too. :doh)

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why do you say that, boozer? Spears was going to be his Leonard Marshall. (I thought so, too. :doh)
Leonard Marshall was a piece of the defense that would not have worked were it not for Taylor. Parcells had his priorities way off.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Leonard Marshall was a piece of the defense that would not have worked were it not for Taylor. Parcells had his priorities way off.
In Parcell’s head, I imagine Spears was another 3-4 DE George Martin, right down to the ability to line up TE. Who cares, that’s history and irrelevant to how Parcells used his outside LB’s in a 3-4 alignment.

It doesn’t matter who Parcells wanted.

From the moment he got Ware, Parcells used him in the perfect way. Same with Von Miller wherever he’s played. Or Rickey Jackson.

Bottom line, it’s foolish to play 245 pound Micah Parsons predominantly as a 4-3 DE. The better teams in the league will shut him down— in easy grasp of NFL OT’s he’s too thin to win, no matter how fast or quick he is. Then after grabbing him and chipping him in the passing game, they’ll run right over him.

Worse, because you’re always switching him around, you then have to switch other people around. All you end up doing is confusing your own team.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom