The Job Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I worked as a cook in college at a pizza/Italian/Bar. We got to make whatever we wanted. Some of the other cooks would make some really creative shit. It was awesome. But we also could only do it when it was slow. Best I ate in college.

Sometimes the bartender would bring a trey of shots too.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
:lol

I've never worked fast food so $3 seems like a deal to me. I'd be eating $20+ lunches & dinners daily.

But as you mentioned, I've heard where a lot of fast food workers get their food free. I've also seen some come from the back stand in line then pay for their own meals.

McDonald's gave you a free meal each shift when I worked there.

I had a friend who worked at Burger King back then and they had to pay for their meals (I think maybe they got a slight discount or something).

Genghis Khan

I get that they shouldn't be charged for something they didn't actually get. That's pretty bullshit.

But what I don't get is striking over it.

QUIT.

You can't tell me it's that hard to find another restaurant job.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Based on the videos I've seen, the 24/7 security guards might not be a bad idea.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get that they shouldn't be charged for something they didn't actually get. That's pretty bullshit.

But what I don't get is striking over it.

QUIT.

You can't tell me it's that hard to find another restaurant job.
Yeah I mean the simple answer is don't charge the employees $3 that's petty. If they want to eat, either give it to your employees free or charge them for the meal. Hell you can give them an employee discount or not, I don't care. But $3 every shift no matter what is petty.

Genghis Khan

Yeah I mean the simple answer is don't charge the employees $3 that's petty. If they want to eat, either give it to your employees free or charge them for the meal. Hell you can give them an employee discount or not, I don't care. But $3 every shift no matter what is petty.

While that's all true, it's absurd to me to strike the Waffle House. It's a shitty job regardless.

If them charging you for a meal you didn't eat is a bridge too far, and if the job has you so busy that you don't even get a chance to take a break...quit. Find another one of the 5 million server jobs that are out there. Hell, I imagine you literally can't do worse as a server.

If Waffle House can't keep employees because of this practice and subsequently can't run the restaurant, that's the free market at work. They either go under or change their policy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If them charging you for a meal you didn't eat is a bridge too far, and if the job has you so busy that you don't even get a chance to take a break...quit. Find another one of the 5 million server jobs that are out there. Hell, I imagine you literally can't do worse as a server.
I mean I agree with all this. I think the idea is that there is no impact on a business if just one employee quits. The point of a strike is to all band together to have the dramatic impact on a business to change. So if an employee really wants to punish waffle house (WGAS really) striking has a more dramatic impact. These people are way better than those McDonalds workers who were striking for a $15.00 an hour wage. That was a ridiculous demand. And guess what, now McDonalds workers, gas station workers and basically everyone is making at least $15 an hour.

Genghis Khan

there is no impact on a business if just one employee quits

My point is if you quit, that's no longer your problem.

But from a macro level, in theory if the practice is that egregious everyone independently should quit and that would obviously impact the business.

In reality, the thing that saves them is that it's only 3 dollars. It's low impact enough that a lot of people probably just shrug their shoulders, especially since a percentage of them actually do get their meal.

Genghis Khan

And guess what, now McDonalds workers, gas station workers and basically everyone is making at least $15 an hour.

And now fast food is way too expensive and at some point customers are going to stop going due to price, and all these employees are going to be unemployed. Fast food was never supposed to be something you could support a family on, it's not that kind of job (other than management). It's for high school and college students, and housewives and elderly people.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And now fast food is way too expensive and at some point customers are going to stop going due to price, and all these employees are going to be unemployed. Fast food was never supposed to be something you could support a family on, it's not that kind of job (other than management). It's for high school and college students, and housewives and elderly people.
I was at Arby's yesterday picking up some lunch. They had 3 adult workers. All pissed off, cussing and literally making everyone uncomfortable. These are not the people who should be working fast food. If you go next door to Culvers, it's mostly teenagers or a little older. Some of the most pleasant workers you will ever meet. They actually seem like they love their job, they are well staffed, well trained and efficient.

This is my round about way of saying you're absolutely right.

Genghis Khan

I was at Arby's yesterday picking up some lunch. They had 3 adult workers. All pissed off, cussing and literally making everyone uncomfortable. These are not the people who should be working fast food. If you go next door to Culvers, it's mostly teenagers or a little older. Some of the most pleasant workers you will ever meet. They actually seem like they love their job, they are well staffed, well trained and efficient.

This is my round about way of saying you're absolutely right.

Yep. If you are an adult working at fast food for a living you are going to be bitter and unhappy. Even at $15 an hour.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
While that's all true, it's absurd to me to strike the Waffle House. It's a shitty job regardless.

If Waffle House can't keep employees because of this practice and subsequently can't run the restaurant, that's the free market at work. They either go under or change their policy.
the problem is that people who work at Waffle House are not the caliber of people who understand how to improve themselves and trade up in the world.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
One thing I’ve noticed about Oklahoma since I’ve been working this job, there are a ton of dykes here. Also, there are a ton of women who I also assume are dykes, but aren’t.

Teeth are very optional here too. I find myself wondering often, “do you not know we have pretty good dental insurance?”.

p1_

DCC 4Life
One thing I’ve noticed about Oklahoma since I’ve been working this job, there are a ton of dykes here. Also, there are a ton of women who I also assume are dykes, but aren’t.

Teeth are very optional here too. I find myself wondering often, “do you not know we have pretty good dental insurance?”.
Are any of our regulars from Oklahoma?

p1_

DCC 4Life
the problem is that people who work at Waffle House are not the caliber of people who understand how to improve themselves and trade up in the world.
i know a guy who is the exception to that. He worked his way through college working at Waffle House. Got his Masters.

Top Bottom