The Great Police Work Thread

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
So you believe every arrest is justified?

Are you really that nieve?
In a country where a man can be freed after being in prison for 10-20 years because of evidence the prosecution illegally covered up in his trial, sure 3 days in jail is ample evidence of guilt.

townsend

Banned
Unfortunately cops are kind of allowed to do whatever they want, illegal confinement is a huge issue in this country. From NY's use of Rykers as a prison for the accused, to Chicago's black site for "criminal processing". It's fair to say that Habeas Corpus and Innocent before proven guilty aren't really the law of the land, since the onus is on the victim of abuse to litigate and prove they were abused.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Unfortunately cops are kind of allowed to do whatever they want, illegal confinement is a huge issue in this country. From NY's use of Rykers as a prison for the accused, to Chicago's black site for "criminal processing". It's fair to say that Habeas Corpus and Innocent before proven guilty aren't really the law of the land, since the onus is on the victim of abuse to litigate and prove they were abused.
It got bad when the cost of becoming an attorney skyrocketed and access to courts for minorities and poor people basically disappeared forever.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well you seemed to think the fact that she was in jail for three days meant she must have been guilty.
Actually quite the opposite. If she was innocent why was she still in jail? People don't have to bond out if they don't have any charges against them. She should have been free that first day.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Actually quite the opposite. If she was innocent why was she still in jail? People don't have to bond out if they don't have any charges against them. She should have been free that first day.
I thought she was charged with resisting arrest? Innocent or guilty you'd still have to bond out.

Cotton

Staff member
I thought she was charged with resisting arrest? Innocent or guilty you'd still have to bond out.
I didn't realize she was actually charged with something, hence my question.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I will be the first to say that the arresting officer's conduct was very unprofessional but I cannot see how the family can conclude that it caused the individual to committee suicide. She was in the cell for three days and it seems she must have made that determination on her own. Her family however is still contending she did not take her own life. They made another statement to that effect yesterday.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Allow me to clear pup my above post. Part of the families position is the incarceration caused her to take her life while others of the family say she would not take her own life. It's a mixed bag but as a whole the responsibility lies with the system for her death according to them.

Cotton

Staff member
Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
I will be the first to say that the arresting officer's conduct was very unprofessional but I cannot see how the family can conclude that it caused the individual to committee suicide. She was in the cell for three days and it seems she must have made that determination on her own. Her family however is still contending she did not take her own life. They made another statement to that effect yesterday.
If she committed suicide because she was in jail it was because she was terribly unstable, not because she got arrested by an overzealous cop.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If she committed suicide because she was in jail it was because she was terribly unstable, not because she got arrested by an overzealous cop.
That seems to be the conclusion of the findings as well. The family is still holding out that there is responsibility within the system. On the surface it could be construed as posturing..

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Ok, just a comment or 2 because some of you are making ridiculous statements like "that guy should never be a cop again." "He should be fired!" And then there is the ridiculousness of Bipo. First off, watch the video and gather in all of the attitude emanating from the female in the car. He remains remarkably calm and politely (even used please) asks her to put out her cigarette. Nothing wring with that in fact after having them thrown at me a one time before a pursuit started, I asked this of all the people I stopped.
When she refused, That combined with the attitude may have given him pause and he had it within his scope to ask her to get out. Once she started telling him what he could and couldn't do then again he was within his scope to do what needed to be done to affect an arrest or ensure officer safety.
I would take issue with how he delivered his commands and the way he said things, but her attitude and bad behavior dictated how she was treated. Had she done as she was told, it never would have gotten to that point. What normal adult here would have spoken to an officer that way. I as a teenager knew to be polite, respectful, accept my deserved citation and be on my way. I can't believe the stupidity of some people nowadays. If you get a ticket, be polite, take the ticket and fight it court not on the side of the road where you have no chance to win.
While I may not have done it his way, he didn't do anything too terrible other than offend those of you that already hate police sensibilities. The fact that she killed herself is mute and morons blaming trying to blame this on police are just that, moronic.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The cop had an aggressive attitude and he intentionally escalated the situation. Someone being a jerk isn't a reason to start acting unprofessionally. You can be a professional and a grown up even if the person who you're pulling over is acting childish.

Sure, common sense says be polite to cops when they pull you over, but being impolite to cops is not a crime. When you try to escalate a situation to find an excuse to use force against someone or arrest them for no other reason than that you're angry with them, that's an abuse of authority.

Last edited:
Top Bottom