The Great Police Work Thread

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'd fire him for recklessly starting a confrontation that didn't need to happen just because he wanted to get in someone's face for walking down the street. Once the fight starts you might have to defend yourself, but Wilson was picking a fight and acting aggressive instead of professional, IMO. Doesn't make him guilty of murder, does make him an reckless hothead and we don't need reckless hothead cops.
I am puzzled. Why was this incident the officers fault,?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'd fire him for recklessly starting a confrontation that didn't need to happen just because he wanted to get in someone's face for walking down the street. Once the fight starts you might have to defend yourself, but Wilson was picking a fight and acting aggressive instead of professional, IMO. Doesn't make him guilty of murder, does make him an reckless hothead and we don't need reckless hothead cops.
He wasn't picking a fight, he was getting some idiots out of the street.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I am puzzled. Why was this incident the officers fault,?
Maybe it wasn't "his fault" but he could have prevented it by acting like a professional. He was trying to be John Wayne out there, thinking with his balls instead of his brains.

If an inmate is doing something wrong at my prison and I get in his face and start cussing him out, he's still wrong, but I would be acting stupid and unprofessional.

Cops are supposed to de-escalate situations, not get all pissed off and get in people's faces. I've had to work with people who are overly aggressive in the prison system, no one wants to work with those people.

If you have a problem and someone isn't cooperating and won't listen, you get on your radio and call for backup. You don't get in someone's face and start a shouting match. Some people still have this idea they have to man up and handle your business, but that's bullshit. Being a cop or a CO is not personal, it's just business. If you lose sight of that and try to prove you're Billy Bad Ass out there people get hurt or killed in preventable situations.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Maybe it wasn't "his fault" but he could have prevented it by acting like a professional. He was trying to be John Wayne out there, thinking with his balls instead of his brains.

If an inmate is doing something wrong at my prison and I get in his face and start cussing him out, he's still wrong, but I would be acting stupid and unprofessional.

Cops are supposed to de-escalate situations, not get all pissed off and get in people's faces. I've had to work with people who are overly aggressive in the prison system, no one wants to work with those people.

If you have a problem and someone isn't cooperating and won't listen, you get on your radio and call for backup. You don't get in someone's face and start a shouting match. Some people still have this idea they have to man up and handle your business, but that's bullshit. Being a cop or a CO is not personal, it's just business. If you lose sight of that and try to prove you're Billy Bad Ass out there people get hurt or killed in preventable situations.
There' s a lot of presumption in your rationale.

Cotton

Staff member
He was just telling the idiot to get out of the street and it escalated from there. So, basically he was doing his job. Now you might be able to argue how he did it if you knew the details of how he started that exchange but since we know for a fact he didn't leave his vehicle, you have to assume it wasn't face to face. Most likely over his loud speaker which probably embarrassed Brown and made him feel like he had to save face against the mean and ugly po-po in front of his friend.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He was just telling the idiot to get out of the street and it escalated from there. So, basically he was doing his job. Now you might be able to argue how he did it if you knew the details of how he started that exchange but since we know for a fact he didn't leave his vehicle, you have to assume it wasn't face to face. Most likely over his loud speaker which probably embarrassed Brown and made him feel like he had to save face against the mean and ugly po-po in front of his friend.
The account I heard said he got out of his vehicle to confront Brown and got assaulted and shoved back into the vehicle (where Brown went for his gun), but maybe that's not the case. God knows just about every single detail I've heard has been contradicted at some point.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This case is all about presumptions its a presumption that he did not escalate the situation, right or wrong.
How would I know? I wasn't there nor have I seen the evidence presented to the Grand Jury. I am not presuming anything.

Cotton

Staff member
The account I heard said he got out of his vehicle to confront Brown and got assaulted and shoved back into the vehicle (where Brown went for his gun), but maybe that's not the case. God knows just about every single detail I've heard has been contradicted at some point.
Yeah, it's been pretty all over the place, but from what I have read, the most documented story has been that Brown came through the window at him, but there again, who friggin knows. Regardless, he assaulted him, and had to have had reason to get out of the car. He wouldn't have gotten out of his vehicle to stop "jaywalking". That's just retarded.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yeah, it's been pretty all over the place, but from what I have read, the most documented story has been that Brown came through the window at him, but there again, who friggin knows. Regardless, he assaulted him, and had to have had reason to get out of the car. He wouldn't have gotten out of his vehicle to stop "jaywalking". That's just retarded.
Just seems weird that someone can get their ass kicked inside their car by someone lunging through the window. You would think you'd have home field advantage. It would make more sense if the door was open.

He might have gotten out of his car to confront Brown if he told Brown to get out of the road and Brown said "Fuck you!"

Might is the key word here. We don't know. They need to look deeper into his record and see if he has a pattern of aggressive behavior (more uses of force than average, generating more complaints). His HR file probably has all the information they would need to decide whether to fire him or not.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just seems weird that someone can get their ass kicked inside their car by someone lunging through the window. You would think you'd have home field advantage. It would make more sense if the door was open.

He might have gotten out of his car to confront Brown if he told Brown to get out of the road and Brown said "Fuck you!"

Might is the key word here. We don't know. They need to look deeper into his record and see if he has a pattern of aggressive behavior (more uses of force than average, generating more complaints). His HR file probably has all the information they would need to decide whether to fire him or not.
One pattern of aggressive behavior is clearly exhibited and documented for everyone and that is the actions of the young man when he stole the cigars and collared the person in the store. That video clip is indisputable.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
One pattern of aggressive behavior is clearly exhibited and documented for everyone and that is the actions of the young man when he stole the cigars and collared the person in the store. That video clip is indisputable.
I have no doubt at all that Brown was aggressive. I've said repeatedly that he was a big violent man in the middle of a big violent day.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
It truly amazes me that no matter the circumstance you will have people who want to place blame on the officer in this circumstance. I can tell you that yes, we get out of our cars and confront people all the time when we give them a command to quit violating the law and they don't. How about if Brown had just gotten out of the street like his compadre that didn't get shot, instead of being a thug and confronting and then attacking the officer, maybe then he wouldn't be dead. Jiggs, I'm telling you dude, you have a way deluded mindset at what officers do and face day in and day out. You need to take the time and spend a few weekends riding in with officers where you live. Maybe after a few of those ride ins and getting to know what officers deal with day in and out, and how well officers handle harsh situations, you'll have a little better understanding how easily something like this shooting can happen. You sit here and proselytize like the Sharptons of the world as if Brown didn't have any part in getting himself shot. "The officer could have done this or that, he shouldn't have gotten out of the car!" (done his job) I'm telling you it isn't always possible. Yes, if he had a taser he should have been carrying it, but I have one and I'm telling you if someone attacked me and went for my gun, I'm not reaching for the taser. It's called the force continuum and you don't have to go in a line from one level to the next. Trying to take an officers gun implies you intend to shoot him with it, therefore if you persist or re-engage, you will likely get shot.
Some people are saying the DA chose a GJ of mostly white folk to get the officer off, but the GJ was seated a few months before the shooting. The evidence they saw made them believe the officer was justified in the shooting. I have heard from attorneys that looked at the evidence that said had this not been a media circus, this would never even have gone to grand jury.
And yet, the great leaders of the black movements are crying foul and talking about vengeance and tearing this country down because of Michael Brown. Holy crap dude, way for people to select martyrs and a great group of folk for a people or race to listen to as leaders.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Nice Bipo! Why do black youth think this is an impressive photo to put on their facebook page? And why does the media keep showing pictures of this moron when he was 14 instead of these?

jeebs

Brand New Member
My biggest issue with the case is the question of does a police officer have the right to shoot someone because they feel threatened.

The one fact we do know is that Brown disengaged from the officer at the car and was running away. IMO deadly force was no longer an option if he felt threatened stay in the car and call backup.

We know Brown had no weapon and was away from the officer when shot, you cannot just dump a clip in somebody because they are coming at you.We saw from the pictures the officer was not badly injured.

Officers get into fights all the time without discharging weapons this seems a clear case of at least overreaction if these were civilians in this state I think its manslaughter.
"Officers get into fights all the time without discharging weapons", do they? Every cop I have every spoken to was very clear that they would prefer to murder someone rather than fight. The have a disturbing trend of saying "I am going home to my family".

jeebs

Brand New Member
Painting with a broad brush as always. The dude went for his gun. This isn't a typical altercation. Had the thug gotten his gun, I have no doubt in my mind he would have shot the cop. It's not like the cop went after him first. He came into the vehicle after the cop. Deadly intent.
Personally I doubt he would shoot the cop, beat badly and hospitalize, yea. People don't just kill cops for jollys, they tend to take a dim view of that and the consequences are not worth it.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Also, quick question... does a citizen have the right to shoot someone if they feel their lives are in danger? Wouldn't a cop be afforded that same right?
No! You don't get to just think you are in danger, not be in danger, and then murder someone in cold blood. That is not a right.

Top Bottom