The Great Police Work Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Lol. I eat shit like the rest.

My problem with police is not their violence, I am a man who believes in violence. My problem is their privilege to use violence that wouldn't fly with anyone else. A person is allowed to hold a knife, this is not something that should autmatically give police the right to execute people. I mean they did have batons and tazers and he made no threatening gesture. If I was on the street seeing a man holding a knife wouldn't give me the right to kill him. Cops just assume that is their privilege.
Like it or not, the cops have more authority than you do. As well they should.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I am conflicted, he had a knife in hand and was walking towards them, So,point taken. Yet if a cop has a gun in hand and is walking towards me I cant put a bullet in his head and that is definately more threatening.
If you want some place where there are no cops at all and you can shoot anyone you want to, Somalia is an option. Anarchy is fair but every place I've seen it practiced, it has sucked pretty hard. I want less violent cops that are accountable for their actions, not none at all. Cops don't protect anyone, but you need garbage men to take out the (human) trash. It makes the world an easier place to do business.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Like it or not, the cops have more authority than you do. As well they should.
Like it or not they don't have the authority they exercise. Nothing gives them to authority to shoot people for holding a knife. You are allowed to hold a knife. Just cause a cop is a coward doesn't mean he can kill you for holding a knife

jeebs

Brand New Member
Authority to write tickets, yep. Authority to kill anything that makes him nervous? No they don't have that authority.

Cotton

Staff member
Like it or not they don't have the authority they exercise. Nothing gives them to authority to shoot people for holding a knife. You are allowed to hold a knife. Just cause a cop is a coward doesn't mean he can kill you for holding a knife
You are taking this down a dumb path. If you are wielding a knife 10 feet from a cop and you move towards them at all, they have every authority in the world to make you stop moving towards them.

jeebs

Brand New Member
If you want some place where there are no cops at all and you can shoot anyone you want to, Somalia is an option. Anarchy is fair but every place I've seen it practiced, it has sucked pretty hard. I want less violent cops that are accountable for their actions, not none at all. Cops don't protect anyone, but you need garbage men to take out the (human) trash. It makes the world an easier place to do business.
i occasionally call for violent revolution, I never advocate anarchy.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
You are taking this down a dumb path. If you are wielding a knife 10 feet from a cop and you move towards them at all, they have every authority in the world to make you stop moving towards them.
Seems like they all forgot to bring their tazers to work at once, doesn't it? I think after a few people had heart attacks they went back to the guns after being told not to taze any more.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Define wielding. Is it the same as holding in non threatening manner?

jeebs

Brand New Member
Cops don't magically have the authority to make you do whatever thy say.

If a cop says dont walk away, I can walk away. I broke no laws.

Cotton

Staff member
Seems like they all forgot to bring their tazers to work at once, doesn't it? I think after a few people had heart attacks they went back to the guns after being told not to taze any more.
I agree that they should be using their tazers more.

Cotton

Staff member
Define wielding. Is it the same as holding in non threatening manner?
After robbing a store at knife point, holding it in your hand at all is wielding to me.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Cops should stand tall with their batons. Tazers are too much like torturing compliance for my taste (while a beating is merely forcing compliance).

Cotton

Staff member
Cops don't magically have the authority to make you do whatever thy say.

If a cop says dont walk away, I can walk away. I broke no laws.
You break the law by walking away from the cop. That's where you and all the other social injustice butterflies get it wrong. If a cop tells you to do something, you are bound by law to do it. The consequences on the cop if he tells you to do something that puts you in harm's way is a different argument. They should be penalized harder than they have been in the past if they make that mistake, I agree. But, if a cop tells you to do something, you have to do it.

Cotton

Staff member
Cops should stand tall with their batons. Tazers are too much like torturing compliance for my taste (while a beating is merely forcing compliance).
So, you would be okay if cops just beat someone Rodney King style to get compliance versus tazing?

jeebs

Brand New Member
If a cop tells you to do something, you are bound by law to do it.
This is a fundamental disagreement I have. Just because a cop says something it doesn't magically become law. Just because he wants something and I don't give it, doesn't make it illegal. His words and will dont make law. That is the opposite of the rule of law.

He can arrest me, but he can't tell me to sit on the curb if I want to leave. Arrest me or fuck off I don't have to take your orders.

I am glad you made his comment, because it is the exact point I am normally trying to make and I can't ever hit it exactly. Suffice it to say i feel the exact opposite of your quoted statement. I would live to hear the law that says you have to do whatever a cop says. (And I don't mean suck his dick if he says, I mean basic shit like stand here, answer this.)

jeebs

Brand New Member
So, you would be okay if cops just beat someone Rodney King style to get compliance versus tazing?
Not Rodney king style but yes. I would personally be more comfortable if cops physically forced compliance, even if that meant resorting to a baton for a few whacks, if that meant they weren't going to attach wires to people and electrocute them until they do what they say.

I understand this position might no be defensible, but electrocuting people and pretending like any reason at all is good enough for this tends to bother me.

Don't want to grab a guy walking away, electrocute that bastard...

Cotton

Staff member
This is a fundamental disagreement I have. Just because a cop says something it doesn't magically become law. Just because he wants something and I don't give it, doesn't make it illegal. His words and will dont make law. That is the opposite of the rule of law.

He can arrest me, but he can't tell me to sit on the curb if I want to leave. Arrest me or fuck off I don't have to take your orders.

I am glad you made his comment, because it is the exact point I am normally trying to make and I can't ever hit it exactly. Suffice it to say i feel the exact opposite of your quoted statement. I would live to hear the law that says you have to do whatever a cop says. (And I don't mean suck his dick if he says, I mean basic shit like stand here, answer this.)
You can fundamentally argue all you want, but you are bound by our current law to obey a cop's instructions. I mean, what would be the point of having cops if you could just flip them off and walk off?

Cotton

Staff member
Not Rodney king style but yes. I would personally be more comfortable if cops physically forced compliance, even if that meant resorting to a baton for a few whacks, if that meant they weren't going to attach wires to people and electrocute them until they do what they say.

I understand this position might no be defensible, but electrocuting people and pretending like any reason at all is good enough for this tends to bother me.

Don't want to grab a guy walking away, electrocute that bastard...
Yeah, it's not defensible. It's the same thing. You are incapacitating one way or the other, and both bring about health hazards as a result. Once just leaves less bruises and cuts.

jeebs

Brand New Member
You can fundamentally argue all you want, but you are bound by our current law to obey a cop's instructions. I mean, what would be the point of having cops if you could just flip them off and walk off?
no you aren't. And if they didn't want you to walk away they could arrest you (not for the walking away part, rather for whatever they crime they suspect you of and want to talk to you about) or fuck off. That is their option. They can't make you stand their and talk to them, or put your camera down, or sit over there. No.

They have the right to arrest you, not tell you what to do.

Basically your position is supported by no laws, except a gun.

Top Bottom