The Coronavirus Thread...

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Two confirmed cases in ATL.

I've got my groceries and beer, time to shutter down.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Rule 34 remains unbeaten

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Hand sanitizer is pretty much the biggest scam ever aside from bottled water.

But we do that shit, no questions asked. And think it matters.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Coronavirus has mutated at least once into two strains, study finds
Zachary Halaschak
6 hrs ago

Scientists believe there are at least two different strains of the COVID-19 virus causing illnesses.

A preliminary study conducted at Peking University’s School of Life Sciences and the Institute Pasteur of Shanghai discovered that one strain of coronavirus, type L, accounted for about 70% of the cases in China and is much more aggressive than the other strain, type S, which is milder and is the source of about 30% of the infections.

The coronavirus outbreak began in Wuhan, China, and has since spread to dozens of countries, infecting almost 97,000 and killing at least 3,305. Researchers said type L was more common in the “early stages of the outbreak in Wuhan” but began to decrease “after early January 2020.”

“Human intervention may have placed more severe selective pressure on the L type, which might be more aggressive and spread more quickly. On the other hand, the S type, which is evolutionarily older and less aggressive, might have increased in relative frequency due to relatively weaker selective pressure,” the scientists wrote.

The researchers said the S type is thought to be the ancestral strain and that the findings “strongly support an urgent need for further immediate, comprehensive studies that combine genomic data, epidemiological data, and chart records of the clinical symptoms of patients with coronavirus disease 2019.”

The genomes studied were only sourced from China, so it is unclear what strains are most common in other countries or if there have been further mutations.

Cases of the illness in the United States have shot up in recent days. As of Thursday afternoon, there were 162 confirmed cases and 11 deaths.
-----

:unsure

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:puke

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Three people tested positive in my county yesterday. If I don't make it, tell WG I loved her.

Top Bottom