The Coronavirus Thread...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What do you guys think is the rationale for this new push to vaccinate kids? We know -- and have known for over a year now -- that kids are at extremely low risk from this virus, and they aren't even spreaders. The flu is literally more dangerous to them.

I'm not an anti-vaxxer, but I find this very disturbing. What is behind it?

Is it simply the money? Pfizer and the rest stand to make billions of dollars in more sales, and the kids give them those extra orders they need? That's about all I can think of.

Either way, it's despicable to force shots into kids anytime they don't need them.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What do you guys think is the rationale for this new push to vaccinate kids? We know -- and have known for over a year now -- that kids are at extremely low risk from this virus, and they aren't even spreaders. The flu is literally more dangerous to them.

Is it simply the money? Pfizer and the rest stand to make billions of dollars in more sales, and the kids give them those extra orders they need? That's about all I can think of.

Either way, it's despicable to force shots into kids anytime they don't need them.
I was just talking to a co-worker about this. The more and more they push this, the more reluctant I am to get it. Hell, in Ohio there is now a "Covid lottery". You get the vaccine and you get your name put in the drawing to win a million dollars. A MILLION DOLLARS! Why are they pushing this vaccine that hard? I am skeptical to say the very least.

Cotton

Staff member

Why. are. they. trying. so. hard?

p1_

DCC 4Life
I was just talking to a co-worker about this. The more and more they push this, the more reluctant I am to get it. Hell, in Ohio there is now a "Covid lottery". You get the vaccine and you get your name put in the drawing to win a million dollars. A MILLION DOLLARS! Why are they pushing this vaccine that hard? I am skeptical to say the very least.
dude. There' s a million and one reasons theyre pushing it, and getting the herd immune is one of them. Anything that represents a chance to return to not living like scared bitches is a good thing. People are now accustomed to wearing masks even though theyve been vaccinated. This shit shit has to end.

Cotton

Staff member
dude. There' s a million and one reasons theyre pushing it, and getting the herd immune is one of them. Anything that represents a chance to return to not living like scared bitches is a good thing. People are now accustomed to wearing masks even though theyve been vaccinated. This shit shit has to end.
I'm not buying that the government is just looking out for our health and all they want is to "go back to normal". They have proven that to be false.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter

fear?

government tends to be driven by fear & risk intolerance

Their mission statement could be "if it only saves one life, its worth it (all other consequences be damned)"

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I get why they'd push it for older people. Hell, even if there is some risk to the vaccine, it's probably less than the risk of covid itself for the elderly.

But that's not true for kids. Kids are at almost zero risk from this virus, and they don't spread it.

Money is all I can think of. Maybe there's some value in delaying teachers' unions going back to in-person teaching. We've seen how powerful they are to a certain political party.

But whatever the motivation is, it isn't health.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

They're not satisfied with the number of adults who've been vaccinated and they're sitting on a ton of unused doses.

Neither my wife nor I have gotten the shot and our kids damn sure won't be getting it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Why. are. they. trying. so. hard?
They are losing control of the power base. As long as there was a demand for vaccinations the policy makers had control of how things were to be done and anyone who was a decenter was not taken seriously. Now more and more states and groups are creating their own ideologies and these positions are eroding the policy makers determination.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

The Shrimp is getting ratioed. Check his timeline.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The Shrimp is getting ratioed. Check his timeline.
Wow, he really is.

My god, people are morons who don't know the actual facts about covid.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
And this surprises you why?
I guess I underestimate how many people are misinformed. I think I heard Shapiro say something a few weeks ago, something like a new poll showed something like 49% of Dems thought fully half the people infected had to go to the hospital, and also thought young people were dropping like flies. Incredible. I guess that's what happens when you only listen to the Enemy of the People.

Wait, here it is, just a small snip:

The U.S. public is also deeply misinformed about the severity of the virus for the average infected person. In December, we asked, “What percentage of people who have been infected by the coronavirus needed to be hospitalized?”

The correct answer is not precisely known, but it is highly likely to be between 1% and 5% according to the best available estimates, and it is unlikely to be much higher or lower. We discuss the data and logic behind this conclusion in the appendix.

Less than one in five U.S. adults (18%) give a correct answer of between 1 and 5%. Many adults (35%) say that at least half of infected people need hospitalization. If that were true, the millions of resulting patients would have overwhelmed hospitals throughout the pandemic.

Democrats are much more likely than Republicans to overestimate this harm. Forty-one percent of Democrats and 28% of Republicans answered that half or more of those infected by COVID-19 need to be hospitalized. Republicans were also far more likely to get the correct answer, with 26% correctly identifying the risk compared to just 10% of Democrats.

Last edited:
Top Bottom