Super Bowl LI Gameday Chatter | Patriots v. Falcons | 2/5/17

data

Forbes #1
Brady's game worn jersey was stolen from his gym bag, still sitting in his locker, during the past-game celebration last night. That sucks.

That and Putin stole Krafts SB ring.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I didn't watch the game, but I found this stat very Garrett-esque...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That entire fourth quarter was straight out of the Garrett playbook.

If I were the Niners I might seriously be thinking about a mulligan.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Unreal.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

As I said to [MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION] last night, I don't think it necessarily hurts him for that job just because this over-reliance on the pass is so prevalent in the NFL nowadays.

It's just the way the league is now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

That was Dan Quinn's responsibility to reign in his OC, just as it is Garrett's to do the same with Linehan.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As I said to @1bigfan13 last night, I don't think it necessarily hurts him for that job just because this over-reliance on the pass is so prevalent in the NFL nowadays.

It's just the way the league is now.
Yeah, it's not stopping.

It is the rage right now.

Teams will actually go empty sets even in short yardage situations. Still amazes me on the frequency.

Maybe it is because OL run blocking is not taught at the college level, who knows. But we have that.

That is what made us (and Seattle when they can do it) unique. We run first, then pass. And teams can't handle it. At least when we have our brains in gear.

If a lot of these coaches would realize that running the ball is not a bad idea, especially to handle simple situational football, things might turn out differently.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I can't get past what Simp said last night.

This loss will haunt Atlanta for generations.

I would be inconsolable if I was a Falcons fan.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That was Dan Quinn's responsibility to reign in his OC, just as it is Garrett's to do the same with Linehan.
Couldn't agree more.

I've made that same point many times about how it's a HC's job to have a feel for a situation and go over to his OC and tell him what he wants or thinks the team needs at that moment.

One of my favorite stories from the 90's is of Jimmy telling Norv that "we have to pick up the 1st down here" after the 49ers had made it a one score game in the 92 NFCC, and Norv telling Jimmy "Well, we could throw the slant", and Jimmy liked it and told him to do it.

Jimmy knew what the team needed at that particular moment and he told his OC what he wanted and expected and Norv called a play that fit with what Jimmy was looking for. You just don't see enough of these days.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Teams will actually go empty sets even in short yardage situations. Still amazes me on the frequency.
This is what frustrates me the most.

All the passing is bad enough, but it's the empty sets on a 1st and 10 in the red zone, a 2nd and 2, a 3rd and 1, etc., that just drives me mad.....especially in our case because we always pose a threat on the ground and we are basically letting the opposing defense off the hook by making things easier for them when there's no good reason to do so.

I just don't get it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Couldn't agree more.

I've made that same point many times about how it's a HC's job to have a feel for a situation and go over to his OC and tell him what he wants or thinks the team needs at that moment.

One of my favorite stories from the 90's is of Jimmy telling Norv that "we have to pick up the 1st down here" after the 49ers had made it a one score game in the 92 NFCC, and Norv telling Jimmy "Well, we could throw the slant", and Jimmy liked it and told him to do it.

Jimmy knew what the team needed at that particular moment and he told his OC what he wanted and expected and Norv called a play that fit with what Jimmy was looking for. You just don't see enough of these days.
Agreed. I heard someone on the radio yesterday saying the criticism is on shanahan not Quinn because shanahan calls plays.

Nope. It's on both. It's absolutely the head coach's responsibility to step in when situations dictate. Not micromanage, but like you said, things like we need to get the first down, or we need to bleed the clock, or run the damn ball.

data

Forbes #1
If the Falcons weren't in the NFC, I'd root for them to go Buffalo-style and lose the next three Super Bowls.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think losing a Super Bowl like that will have lasting effects on that team/organization. I expect them to start next year in a funk and miss the playoffs, and they may not fully rebound until the second half of next season or even the 2018 season.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Agreed. I heard someone on the radio yesterday saying the criticism is on shanahan not Quinn because shanahan calls plays.

Nope. It's on both. It's absolutely the head coach's responsibility to step in when situations dictate. Not micromanage, but like you said, things like we need to get the first down, or we need to bleed the clock, or run the damn ball.
I could be wrong about this because hindsight is what it is, but I don't recall so much autonomy being given to coordinators back in those days like you see now.

You have so many guys now with the "Assistant HC" title and guys who seems to almost work independently from the rest of the team with their own units. For whatever reason, you just don't see HCs influencing the coordinator's situational playcalling like before.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I could be wrong about this because hindsight is what it is, but I don't recall so much autonomy being given to coordinators back in those days like you see now.

You have so many guys now with the "Assistant HC" title and guys who seems to almost work independently from the rest of the team with their own units. For whatever reason, you just don't see HCs influencing the coordinator's situational playcalling like before.
I think you're right, and I don't understand it because one of the advantages of having a walk around coach is that they can see the big picture with much more clarity and ensure complementary football much easier than a guy whose head is buried in a chart all game.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't disagree about Quinn. He should have insisted they run it, burn clock, make NE use their time outs.

But how does an OC think that risking the one or two outcomes you absolutely must avoid at that point is a good idea?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Atlanta has the same issues that Dallas has on the defensive side of the ball. The can't go full out for an entire game. They don't have the depth. They elected to tighten up the game in the first half but run out of gas in the second half. Dallas had some of the same issues even though they flipped flopped the halfs. I have no explanation why the offense backed off in the second half. They did just about did everything wrong on offense in the second half and that put even more pressure on their defense.

data

Forbes #1
Tom Bradyand the Patriots run 93 plays. In contrast, NFL MVP Matt Ryan and the Falcons ran 46 plays. The 47-play difference marked the biggest play disparity in NFL postseason history, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
The Patriots had two drives that lasted more than five minutes in the second half, including a 13-play, 75-yard touchdown drive resulting in 6 minutes, 25 seconds coming off the clock. For the game, the Patriots had the ball for 40:31, while the Falcons had it for 23:27.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Many head coaches don't have the stones to actually override a strong coordinator. Also, there seems to be a case where the same "vision" is not shared.

Top Bottom