Super Bowl LI Gameday Chatter | Patriots v. Falcons | 2/5/17

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
View attachment 454

Love this...99.6% chance of winning with 9 minutes left in the 4th. Lost...
2nd and 11, they got sacked. Then the hold on 3rd down.

Simple basic fundamental football, block, run, wins the game in those situations.

But they played scared. They felt they still had to outscore Brady.

Teams can really benefit from trusting football fundamentals and getting situational football.

It is like everyone is trying to get cute passing the football.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Anybody want to talk about the Super Bowl being decided by a coin flip?

I get that Atlanta coud've stopped them but what sense does it make to keep the game going if the Pats get a FG but not a TD?

Is one more drive from Atlanta going to really kill anybody whether it's a FG or TD?

Dumbass rule.
I have no problem with the rule. I don't think it's asking too much for the defense not to allow someone to drive 75 yards for a TD on the opening drive of OT.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I honestly don't understand how these coaches who are making millions per year and working 60+ hours per week struggle to exercise basic common sense.

Belichick's genius is that he doesn't out-smart himself like most of these other clowns.
He is old school. Put him in that same situation as Atlanta, they got a choking dose of Blount.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have no problem with the rule. I don't think it's asking too much for the defense not to allow someone to drive 75 yards for a TD on the opening drive of OT.
Agreed.

In fact, I would be for the SB to be sudden death. Fuck you if you can't get it done in regulation.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I also had a problem with the lack of passes thrown Julio Jones way. The dude is an absolute beast. Probably the best WR in the game today and you only go his way 4 times???? Inexcusable.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
2nd and 11, they got sacked. Then the hold on 3rd down.

Simple basic fundamental football, block, run, wins the game in those situations.

But they played scared. They felt they still had to outscore Brady.

Teams can really benefit from trusting football fundamentals and getting situational football.

It is like everyone is trying to get cute passing the football.
I didn't see the sequence of events after they recovered the onside, but that too was a drive that didn't result in so much as a FG attempt even though they got to about the 25, right?

I saw Atlanta recover the ball, then I saw a pass play that got to roughly the 25 yard line. After that, I came back downstairs a few plays later to see them punting from midfield.

That's two instances of that happening in the 2nd half and that's inexcusable.

But what happened the first time? Same kinda deal with a sack and penalty?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I swear. The vast majority of coaching in the NFL any more is retarded. The Falcons don't have anybody to blame for that loss but themselves. After that awesome catch by Julio Jones put them in FG range what do they do? Do they run the ball 3 times, burning clock and making the Patriots use their timeouts? Then kick the FG to go up by two scores, virtually sealing the win? Noooooo. They keep passing. And after taking a stupid sack and a holding call that knocks them out of FG range, they are forced to punt. Giving the ball back to Brady with 3 minutes left and two timeouts if he needs them. Epic choke job.

Also, Devonte Freeman starts off the game with what, a 30 yard carry? Then only gets ten more carries for the rest of the game, with Atlanta leading the whole way. What the absolute fuck?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I also had a problem with the lack of passes thrown Julio Jones way. The dude is an absolute beast. Probably the best WR in the game today and you only go his way 4 times???? Inexcusable.
As Booze said, it's the difference in a coach who has his shit together and one who doesn't believe in himself or his team.

How many times have we done the same thing where we just completely shy away from even trying Dez in a game?

Guys like Garrett freeze up, and they make panic decisions in a game. Not going to Julio is the result of a coach scared to risk something because the Pats are paying him a lot of attention.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I swear. The vast majority of coaching in the NFL any more is retarded. The Falcons don't have anybody to blame for that loss but themselves. After that awesome catch by Julio Jones put them in FG range what do they do? Do they run the ball 3 times, burning clock and making the Patriots use their timeouts? Then kick the FG to go up by two scores, virtually sealing the win? Noooooo. They keep passing. And after taking a stupid sack and a holding call that knocks them out of FG range, they are forced to punt. Giving the ball back to Brady with 3 minutes left and two timeouts if he needs them. Epic choke job.

Also, Devonte Freeman starts off the game with what, a 30 yard carry? Then only gets ten more carries for the rest of the game, with Atlanta leading the whole way. What the absolute fuck?
As many of us have said already, it's like a fricking epidemic in football.

These younger/newer guys seem to have forgotent what wins football games.

How many times have we gotten away from our playmakers and hot hands over the years under Garrett? You look around the league and you see this stuff with lots of other teams too.

Like you said, Freeman was the hotter hand and he's the tougher runner, but yet when the game was on the line and they needed tough yards, who do they go to? Coleman.

It just doesn't make sense and the frequency in which these types of things occur around the NFL is mind-boggling.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dude had one of the best catches is SB history and they promptly squandered it.

Momentum matters.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I didn't see the sequence of events after they recovered the onside, but that too was a drive that didn't result in so much as a FG attempt even though they got to about the 25, right?

I saw Atlanta recover the ball, then I saw a pass play that got to roughly the 25 yard line. After that, I came back downstairs a few plays later to see them punting from midfield.

That's two instances of that happening in the 2nd half and that's inexcusable.

But what happened the first time? Same kinda deal with a sack and penalty?
That's pretty much what happened. Sacks and penalties killed the drive.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Seriously, they only went to him 4 times? Holy shit. I didn't realize it was that low.

And two of his catches were of the all timer variety alongside the sideline. And his last one should have sealed the game, if his coaches hadn't went full retard.

data

Forbes #1
Watching the replay...1st and 10 from the 23 yard line with 4:00 remaining.

I would've run HW Bush 3 times straight and kicked the FG. :lol

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Like you said, Freeman was the hotter hand and he's the tougher runner, but yet when the game was on the line and they needed tough yards, who do they go to? Coleman.
And then they put Freeman in cold after Coleman gets hurt and make him pass block from shotgun.

Watching the replay...1st and 10 from the 23 yard line with 4:00 remaining.

I would've run HW Bush 3 times straight and kicked the FG. :lol
They could have kneeled three times and won with a FG

data

Forbes #1
Matt Ryan sets record for highest QB rating (144.1) in a SB loss.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Seriously, they only went to him 4 times? Holy shit. I didn't realize it was that low.

And two of his catches were of the all timer variety alongside the sideline. And his last one should have sealed the game, if his coaches hadn't went full retard.
Yep, only 4 passes thrown to the the game's premier WR. Why would you not look to get the ball into the hands of a guy like that as much as possible? Especially in a game of this magnitude.

The 49ers are probably having 2nd thoughts about that rumored Kyle Shanahan hiring.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Matt Ryan sets record for highest QB rating (144.1) in a SB loss.
That's nice but in the biggest situations of the game he let his team down.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yep, only 4 passes thrown to the the game's premier WR. Why would you not look to get the ball into the hands of a guy like that as much as possible? Especially in a game of this magnitude.

The 49ers are probably having 2nd thoughts about that rumored Kyle Shanahan hiring.
You guys say this shit like you don't know the Pats took him away. Everyone knew they were going to do it. Ryan did a decent job going to other options must missed them at key spots in the second half.

On the running thing, the Pats were shutting it down. Yeah they ripped off some long ones but it was feast or famine. To kill the clock, you need consistent positive yards. That Pats weren't yielding that.

However, yeah the sack, hold series was a killer when 3 stuffed runs would have been just dandy.

data

Forbes #1
That's nice but in the biggest situations of the game he let his team down.
I don't think QB rating takes account of Ryan fumbling deep in his own territory nor taking the sack at the end of the game.

Top Bottom