Super Bowl LI Gameday Chatter | Patriots v. Falcons | 2/5/17

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't hate Brady like most, I appreciate him for his greatness, but it will be fun watching him decline, which should start to happen sometime very soon.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I don't hate Brady like most, I appreciate him for his greatness, but it will be fun watching him decline, which should start to happen sometime very soon.
He's 39. I wonder if he considers retiring now. Would be a hell of a way to go out. The Pats could keep Garafallo or whatever his name is...

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
It seems Garrett isn't that bad a coach compared to the rest of the morons in the league right now.Biellicheat is head and shoulders above all the others just because he understands situational coaching. It's one thing if they have no time outs, but at least make them burn most of them and go up by 2 scores...

data

Forbes #1
Martellus Bennett on NFLN for 15 minutes. Gave a shout-out to Witten, saying he was frustrated sitting behind one of the greatest of all-time and said Jerry Jones "gave him a chance." Nothing derisive towards the Cowboys.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Anybody want to talk about the Super Bowl being decided by a coin flip?

I get that Atlanta coud've stopped them but what sense does it make to keep the game going if the Pats get a FG but not a TD?

Is one more drive from Atlanta going to really kill anybody whether it's a FG or TD?

Dumbass rule.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 10.04.23 PM.jpg

Love this...99.6% chance of winning with 9 minutes left in the 4th. Lost...

data

Forbes #1
They went for the throat but shit in their pants...
They had already slit the throat. They were aggressive and got to the 20. Kick the clinching FG and that's it.

What they did afterwards was unfathomable.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I have read through the thread yet.....but I'm guess some of you said the same thing that I did. The Falcons got too pass happy in situations that didn't call for it and it bit them in the ass.

It was as if Jason Garrett and his offensive staff took over the play calling in the 4th quarter.

That was a classic Garrett era Cowboy-like collapse that we witnessed.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They could have kneeled down and won with a FG.

I don't mind high-percentage passing, but shotgun and taking a dumb sack is inexcusable.
Yup.

There's a difference between being conservative and playing the odds.

If it was a 4 point lead, then I wouldn't fault Atlanta one bit for passing on 2nd and 11. At that point, the outcome is still very much in doubt even if you do make the FG, so you want to try and seal the game while the ball is in your hands.

But on 2nd and 11 and with an 8 point lead and under 4 min to go, I run the ball again because one, New England got gashed all night and I'd like my chances to gain 4 or 5 for a make-able 3rd down, and two, you absolutely have to keep yourself in FG position so you play it safe and run it that way you're kicking a FG in the absolute worst case scenario.

If Atlanta runs two more times, they force the Pats to take a timeout or two and they lineup for the kick. If they make the FG, it's an 11 point game and now the Pats have to score twice with roughly 3:30 and no timeouts, so they HAVE to kick an onside even if they do score, and a failure to recover it is the game.

But in this day and age, every time a team is in a critical juncture of a game, it seems like coaches around the league now think to pass over running to seal a result or get them out of a bind......and I just don't get it.

The coaches can change and the rules can change and so can the type of athlete that plays in the NFL, but the formula for winning will always be tried and true -- if you get a good running game and you stick to it, you'll come out on top more often than not.

data

Forbes #1
I have read through the thread yet.....but I'm guess some of you said the same thing that I did. The Falcons got too pass happy in situations that didn't call for it and it bit them in the ass.

It was as if Jason Garrett and his offensive staff took over the play calling in the 4th quarter.

That was a classic Garrett era Cowboy-like collapse that we witnessed.
Devonta Freeman finished with 11-75 (6.8 YPC) and Tevin Coleman 7-29 (4.1 YPC).

1bigfan13

Staff member
It seems Garrett isn't that bad a coach compared to the rest of the morons in the league right now.Biellicheat is head and shoulders above all the others just because he understands situational coaching. It's one thing if they have no time outs, but at least make them burn most of them and go up by 2 scores...
Exactly.

There is a serious lack of understanding when it comes to situational coaching in the NFL. And it's not rocket science. It's simple common sense. Yet today's coaches are too wrapped up in compiling fantasy football stats.

Running the ball 3 times burns clock and New England's timeouts and likely results in a double digit lead. I know that's not sexy but at least you walk away with a Super Bowl trophy rather than walking away with egg on your face.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Devonta Freeman finished with 11-75 (6.8 YPC) and Tevin Coleman 7-29 (4.1 YPC).
Yep, the Cowboys have been there and done that too many times.

data

Forbes #1
Exactly.

There is a serious lack of understanding when it comes to situational coaching in the NFL. And it's not rocket science. It's simple common sense. Yet today's coaches are too wrapped up in compiling fantasy football stats.

Running the ball 3 times burns clock and New England's timeouts and likely results in a double digit lead. I know that's not sexy but at least you walk away with a Super Bowl trophy rather than walking away with egg on your face.
Yeah, I don't get it. Unfathomable.

Kick the FG for an 11-point lead and Patriots get ball with 3:30 remaining. What's wrong with that?

1bigfan13

Staff member
Yup.

There's a difference between being conservative and playing the odds.

If it was a 4 point lead, then I wouldn't fault Atlanta one bit for passing on 2nd and 11. At that point, the outcome is still very much in doubt even if you do make the FG, so you want to try and seal the game while the ball is in your hands.

But on 2nd and 11 and with an 8 point lead and under 4 min to go, I run the ball again because one, New England got gashed all night and I'd like my chances to gain 4 or 5 for a make-able 3rd down, and two, you absolutely have to keep yourself in FG position so you play it safe and run it that way you're kicking a FG in the absolute worst case scenario.

If Atlanta runs two more times, they force the Pats to take a timeout or two and they lineup for the kick. If they make the FG, it's an 11 point game and now the Pats have to score twice with roughly 3:30 and no timeouts, so they HAVE to kick an onside even if they do score, and a failure to recover it is the game.

But in this day and age, every time a team is in a critical juncture of a game, it seems like coaches around the league now think to pass over running to seal a result or get them out of a bind......and I just don't get it.

The coaches can change and the rules can change and so can the type of athlete that plays in the NFL, but the formula for winning will always be tried and true -- if you get a good running game and you stick to it, you'll come out on top more often than not.
I honestly don't understand how these coaches who are making millions per year and working 60+ hours per week struggle to exercise basic common sense.

Belichick's genius is that he doesn't out-smart himself like most of these other clowns.

Top Bottom