Sturm's Morning After - Cowboys Defense Can't Stop Rodgers Late

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Garrett is in his 8th season.

Still can't fucking manage a close game.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
You guys should read this article I posted in the gameday chatter thread. Really sheds light on how sophisticated and meticulous the conversations get in these situations. Fine-tuned fucking machine the Broncos were. Contrast that to the low level of conversation and execution we have in Dallas and...well...that's why we haven't made an NFCC in a long time and Denver made two straight SBs.

http://m.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Clock-Management-Crucial-in-Cowboys-Win/4fbc87ef-13f4-4993-b588-7aee380d08d9
Just finished reading the article.

Peyton Manning pretty much made my point. When you know your defense can't stop the other team, do whatever you can to run the clock all the way down before scoring.

data

Forbes #1
Which is why I totally understand the logic behind what you're saying.

It's not like this is some preposterous idea out of left field. What you're saying makes sense.

I just don't know if I can do that in a game where we're down by more than 3.
Okay. Say we're down by 3. You think we stay aggressive and actually get in the red zone as opposed to settling for 45 yard Bailey FG?

Genghis Khan

There really is no debate whether the pass to Bryant hurt our chances to win.

Of course it did.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Okay. Say we're down by 3. You think we stay aggressive and actually get in the red zone as opposed to settling for 45 yard Bailey FG?
I don't know what we would do.

But if it were me and we were only down 3, then I definitely tell Dak to fall down at the 1 on that play.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There really is no debate whether the pass to Bryant hurt our chances to win.

Of course it did.
Dood, did you not see that we ran it in oN tEh VeRy nExT PlAy?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

He's as clueless as ever.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea of someone who has been involved in football for their entire lives being unable to grasp a simple concept such as this one when your average football fan knows exactly what to do.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life

Remember when the narrative was that giving up play calling would help him manage the game and focus more on the "little things."

Genghis Khan

An underrated issue is the end of the first half drive. We got to about ten or 15 yards away from reasonable field goal range. Then the sack fumble happened and we gave up even though we had about 10 seconds and a timeout or 2 left.

First, I don't know if this was Dak or play calling but the call on the sack fumble seemed unnecessarily deep downfield.

Second, I don't know why we gave up after the sack. The chances of Dak turning the ball over are generally low. You can't get spooked.

Had we gotten a field goal there, then our drive at the end of the game becomes kneel down for a game winning field goal.

I know that drive at the end of the half is a bit attenuated from being directly responsible for the loss, but it stuck in my craw because subtle things like that can make a difference.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He's as clueless as ever.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea of someone who has been involved in football for their entire lives being unable to grasp a simple concept such as this one when your average football fan knows exactly what to do.
He's simply not a good coach.

I never understood this concept that he needs to "learn" how to coach, or that a Princeton degree makes a person football smart.

Jerry just hoped he could take someone completely unproven and make him one of the best in the world at his profession. He's like the Randolph Duke of NFL owners.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
An underrated issue is the end of the first half drive. We got to about ten or 15 yards away from reasonable field goal range. Then the sack fumble happened and we gave up even though we had about 10 seconds and a timeout or 2 left.

First, I don't know if this was Dak or play calling but the call on the sack fumble seemed unnecessarily deep downfield.

Second, I don't know why we gave up after the sack. The chances of Dak turning the ball over are generally low. You can't get spooked.

Had we gotten a field goal there, then our drive at the end of the game becomes kneel down for a game winning field goal.

I know that drive at the end of the half is a bit attenuated from being directly responsible for the loss, but it stuck in my craw because subtle things like that can make a difference.
Yup.

I wasn't happy about that either.

There was still plenty of time to run some sort of route to the sideline that would still give us a chance to kick a field goal in Bailey's range.

Remember the deep out we threw to Antonio Bryant in Parcells' first win at the Giants?

That's exactly the type of play we could have run there but Jason Garrett is selectively aggressive.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Since 2010, the Cowboys are only 15-10 in home games in which they score at least 30 points. 10 losses is double that of any other team in the NFL over that span. The league wins 89% of the time over that span. New England is 40-2, Green Bay is 28-1, Denver is 24-2, and Seattle is 21-2. Basically, nobody ever loses home games win scoring 30 points besides the Jason Garrett-era Dallas Cowboys. They have lost 10 times in 25 chances.
Wow. That is directly on the coaching staff.

data

Forbes #1
I don't know what we would do.

But if it were me and we were only down 3, then I definitely tell Dak to fall down at the 1 on that play.
If down by 3, we wouldn't have that conversation to fall down at the 1, not from where Dak ran the ball at the 12. If Dak had been tackled for a 1st & goal, then yes it'd have been the conversation.

We're just basic and sometimes can't even get basic right.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Which is riskier? Turning down points with the ball at the 1 or leaving Aaron Rodgers with well over a minute and a timeout?
Green Bay was so gassed that SOMEONE should have simply recognized keeping the ball on the ground was going to win the game. Take the clock down to 30-40 seconds and you are trying to get in from the 3-4 yard line. I don't really understand the pass in the end zone.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Green Bay was so gassed that SOMEONE should have simply recognized keeping the ball on the ground was going to win the game. Take the clock down to 30-40 seconds and you are trying to get in from the 3-4 yard line. I don't really understand the pass in the end zone.
youre not alone in that perplexation.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Conventional NFL wisdom has to be discarded at times.

With any other QB not named Brady and Aaron Rodgers.....absolutely, go ahead and score. But when your defense is as bad as Dallas' you can't take that chance.

I mean seriously.....this defense couldn't get Trevor Siemian off the field.
:lol

Yeah it amazing there's a 5 page discussion about it. Green Bay was whipped, again....there DL was struggling and any combination of Zeke or Dak wins that game with their legs from the 2 or 3 yard line easily. I mean, its not even close. Take time off the clock, make the Packers use their last TO.

The Dallas D had been getting their asses handed to them all game. Anyone with half a fucking brain knows you can't give Rodgers 1:13 and a timeout, especially against our shitty Defense and senile Marinelli.

UncleMilti

Staff member

See the difference there? I would say that Dak played as well as Rodgers...maybe even better than Rodgers. The big difference in the game was the Packers D make a couple plays that they absolutely had to make....whereas Marinelli's cluster fuck of a D is grasping at ankles, can't catch Rodgers and dropping balls (Scandrick) that hit him right in the hands.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
See the difference there? I would say that Dak played as well as Rodgers...maybe even better than Rodgers. The big difference in the game was the Packers D make a couple plays that they absolutely had to make....whereas Marinelli's cluster fuck of a D is grasping at ankles, can't catch Rodgers and dropping balls (Scandrick) that hit him right in the hands.
We can complain all day about the game management, in the end I think that's minor, comparatively.

The defense is abysmal right now. 35 points allowed two weeks in a row with the offense scoring 31.

You can't demand your offense score 40 every week. Something has to be done about this defense, now.

I remember back to like 2000 or 2001 when Zimmer was here. My recollection is that we were having a terrible time stopping the run, then Zimmer switched up our pass rush schemes. He went to a straight-forward rush instead of using stunts and switches, and miraculously the DL started clogging the running lanes again when they didn't have to worry about the intricate pass rush stuff.

Obviously this is not ideal, but they simply have to get the run defense sorted out. Pass rush is of the ultimate importance when it comes to pass defense, but I think run defense is even more important. I'd much rather have teams in third and longs than third and shorts. Hell, the Packers only faced like 7 third downs. They ran the ball so well they didn't even get to the pass rushing downs.

That has to change. Immediately.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Ignoring the 1-T position and acting like some schlub like Joey Ivie is ever going to do anything is what has gotten our run defense in this situation, along with losing Lee of course and Hitchens until yesterday, combined with Jaylon being pretty horrific. I think losing Church has hurt the run defense alot too, Heath is horrible and Church was pretty solid in that regard.

Either way, it's time to beef things up on the interior and upgrade the speed/tackling in the back 7.

I wanted Tahir Whitehead in 2016 and Zach Brown in 2017 during free agency, they both signed very cheap deals and both have played well, yet our FO keeps bumblef'ing around with guys like Nolan Carroll. Time to actually do some god damn scouting work here and get out of your comfort zone.

Top Bottom