Sturm: The Cowboys have 18 unrestricted free agents - Who are their top priorities?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What other options did Dak have in this game scheme?
Well I'm assuming they'll address WR going forward and not be in this situation next year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Pollard - him and Lamb are our only real offensive weapons, enough said
Ditching Zeke makes Pollard a must, but I dont pay his guy top of market, like he wouldve gotten pre-injury.
Draft one for sure (maybe more), sign a good UDFA or two.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
But he doesn't. Get open that is. He can sometimes find a soft zone but that's about it. He drops critical passes. I don't see the value as a receiver. Just a bad option in the passing game and he will never get better. Sure he can play special teams and he can block. But in terms of actual receiving ability he is a liability that can be covered by most teams fourth or fifth corners without a problem.
Granted, not the kind of player a team looking to move to the next level keeps. But now Gallup has question marks. Jerry and the Idiot Son need to get busy in the FA market or the draft. We all know how that goes.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Granted, not the kind of player a team looking to move to the next level keeps. But now Gallup has question marks. Jerry and the Idiot Son need to get busy in the FA market or the draft. We all know how that goes.
Im sure theyre counting on both Gallup and Tolbert being contributors, sadly. I think Gallup can get back to what he was, but Tolbert has shown nothing to date.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
But he doesn't. Get open that is. He can sometimes find a soft zone but that's about it. He drops critical passes. I don't see the value as a receiver. Just a bad option in the passing game and he will never get better.

Exactly. He's had some huge drops. Not like borderline drops, but like brain dead you suck brutal drops. And yeah, he doesn't get open all that often. If he comes back for like 5th WR money, whatever. But otherwise GTFO.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
He is the boards whipping post. Better player than the board gives credit for. It's not his fault the Cowboys traded Cooper and missed on Tolbert and Washington. Not his fault Dak cant\won't always progress through his reads.
That's ridiculous. Outside the terrible drop/deflection into an INT near the end of the season, he was more than adequate for his role. He's no starter, but he isn't a liability either.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Im sure theyre counting on both Gallup and Tolbert being contributors, sadly. I think Gallup can get back to what he was, but Tolbert has shown nothing to date.
Gallup is having surgery in his knee and ankle. And Brown's stats were better than Gallup's.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Gallup has been in decline for a while, never should have offered that contract, I wonder if any other team would have offered more than a 1 year prove it deal...

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Brown is a 5th WR/special teams player. A bottom of the roster type that should be a churn candidate every year while looking for superior talent. Moderately disturbing that he isn't gone yet. This generation's Lynn Scott.

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
I'd let Schultz walk, franchise Pollard, prioritize bringing back LVE, Wilson, Hankins and the long snapper. Maybe McGovern if he'd take a reasonable deal (2 yrs/10 mil). Wouldn't mind bringing back Watkins and Anthony Brown on cheap one-year deals, but they're easy to replace. The rest of that list is inconsequential.
Expect Rush will get an inflated contract to be some other team's QB2.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. All Jerry ever does in tinker at the margins, enough to stay relevant, never enough to win it all. That's the point I tried to make in an earlier post on KC's gamble to draft Mahomes. They had a decent team, a respectable starting QB, but they pushed a lot of the chips to the middle of the table betting on Mahomes.

Of course, that was the KC organization, not Jerry and his hillbilly son. Big difference.
Yeah this is my problem. You either go all in on Dak or you might as well start trading assets and begin rebuilding. Why bother to not add talent around Dak, try to keep a few free agents, not clear up any cap room to sign new free agents and then two years from now cut bait with Dak. What sense does that actually make? You're basically guaranteeing your team will fall short for the next 2 years and then starting a full rebuild after.

As far as extending Dak, it all depends on the numbers for me. If it's just a fake extension to push cap numbers out, who cares. You're either taking that money on the cap this year or a future year. Makes no difference to me. Just may allow me to sign guys now and then I'll play with the numbers again in the future. Now if you're talking new money to Dak, that's a different ball game. Then I need to know what kind of money we are talking about. Certainly I wouldn't say Dak earned any kind of a raise and with a change to McCarthy as OC with a new system that could either go really good or really bad. If it goes really bad, we would regret the new money. If it goes really good, well then I guess better to buy in now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brown is a 5th WR/special teams player. A bottom of the roster type that should be a churn candidate every year while looking for superior talent. Moderately disturbing that he isn't gone yet. This generation's Lynn Scott.
There is a role for guys like that. But those roles should be filled with a guy on a rookie contract making minimum. Once you get to Brown's age the minimum salary is much higher and then on top of that you probably pay him more to resign. Just not a good idea.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Gallup has been in decline for a while, never should have offered that contract, I wonder if any other team would have offered more than a 1 year prove it deal...

Exactly. Gallup is also a problem. That doesn't absolve other problems on the team.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The good thing about WR is, we have a #1. That's the hardest piece to find. We just need a decent #2 to get Gallup back to #3, where he'd be very good.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd let Schultz walk, franchise Pollard, prioritize bringing back LVE, Wilson, Hankins and the long snapper. Maybe McGovern if he'd take a reasonable deal (2 yrs/10 mil). Wouldn't mind bringing back Watkins and Anthony Brown on cheap one-year deals, but they're easy to replace. The rest of that list is inconsequential.
Expect Rush will get an inflated contract to be some other team's QB2.
I am fine with allowing Schultz to go off to the Chargers or something.

There is no reason to franchise a running back coming back from a very serious injury. None.

I really think Rush needs to go away too. He has the stink of the Garrett on him as well.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Just don't extend Dak to accommodate any of these guys. We're only two years from being free and clear.
QB is hard to find. In order to have a chance, you need to draft one while you still have one and let them battle. The Eagles drafted Hurts with Wentz still on the roster.

But I don’t know if we’re at that point yet with Dak. We’ve won 12 games two seasons in a row.

One thing for sure, we have to stop trading away guys like Cooper who we paid premium assets for while we’re in a hissy fit.

We also need a #1RB and a true #2WR. We need that even if Tom Brady in his prime is behind center.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
One thing for sure, we have to stop trading away guys like Cooper who we paid premium assets for while we’re in a hissy fit.
Or bare minimum let
Someone else set the market before you do it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Or bare minimum let
Someone else set the market before you do it.
Jerry should have called Roseman. Or maybe he did, and Roseman laughed.

Top Bottom