Sturm: The Cowboys have 18 unrestricted free agents - Who are their top priorities?

p1_

DCC 4Life
I just realized that we've seen Zeke's career come and go, and nothing really to show for it. That's criminal.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just realized that we've seen Zeke's career come and go, and nothing really to show for it. That's criminal.
Eh, not really. He is a running back and not one that was legitimately special in any particular way.

In today's NFL, "wasting" a talented RBs career is not that big of a deal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh, not really. He is a running back and not one that was legitimately special in any particular way.

Yeah welcome to most great RBs in today's NFL. Great RB doesn't equal Superbowl the way it used to.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

True, even one who was taken 4th overall.

The value of the 4th-ish spent on a RB can vary greatly. Barry Sanders went 3, Edge James 4, but then Trent Richardson went 3 and Blair Thomas 2.

Zeke falls neatly in between, and absolutely did his job as a replacement for Demarco Murray to keep Romo’s window open.

Unfortunately Romo went down before Elliott’s first carry, and without Elliott, Dak never would have developed into the player he became.

I know we’ve been critical of Dak, but outside of that dubious Denver game in 2017, Elliott left nothing on the field. It’s not his fault that Jason Garrett borderline abused Zeke with too many carries.

p1_

DCC 4Life

There was a brief moment I thought he might rise to the level of a Dorsett or Emmitt . Missed the mark there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
True, even one who was taken 4th overall.

The value of the 4th-ish spent on a RB can vary greatly. Barry Sanders went 3, Edge James 4, but then Trent Richardson went 3 and Blair Thomas 2.

Zeke falls neatly in between, and absolutely did his job as a replacement for Demarco Murray to keep Romo’s window open.

Unfortunately Romo went down before Elliott’s first carry, and without Elliott, Dak never would have developed into the player he became.

I know we’ve been critical of Dak, but outside of that dubious Denver game in 2017, Elliott left nothing on the field. It’s not his fault that Jason Garrett borderline abused Zeke with too many carries.
The whole selection of Elliott was based on the fact we thought Joseph Randle could be a starting NFL RB.

We paid for that ridiculous evaluation.

This is a different team and frankly a different league than then.

We might end up being the last team that signed a rookie RB to a mega-contract the second time around.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There was a brief moment I thought he might rise to the level of a Dorsett or Emmitt . Missed the mark there.
That is a high bar.

The Elliott vs Ramsey debate will never go away. And in a manner of sorts, you can concede that maybe Ramsey was a better pick, especially if you consider the Jags traded him away and got nice draft capital in return.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
That is a high bar.

The Elliott vs Ramsey debate will never go away. And in a manner of sorts, you can concede that maybe Ramsey was a better pick, especially if you consider the Jags traded him away and got nice draft capital in return.
could've been Ramsey-Henry instead of Zeke-Jaylon :picard

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is a high bar.

Yeah its funny how RBs work. Early in their careers most would have said we made the right choice. But RBs stars fade fast and early and corners don't. It's why now 6 years down the road one is still a star and one is washed up. It's why RBs are devalued in the NFL.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah its funny how RBs work. Early in their careers most would have said we made the eight choice. But RBs stars fade fast and early and corners don't. It's why now 6 years down the road one is still a star and one is washed up. It's why RBs are devalued in the NFL.
RBs are devalued because RBs in college aren't valued.

The NFL is trying to counter the spread offense invasion with ball control.

The Eagles do that right now. If you can run a consistent and effective run game, that is to your advantage.

We didn't run effectively all season. And that was mainly because we allowed Elliott to be a huge part of the game plan.

He was useless as a pass receiver in terms of running any routes with complexity as well.

We had Pollard to break a big play, but at no time this past season did we have any RB on the roster with the athletic talent that could see the hole, hit the hole and gain positive yardage.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Pollard's homerun ability is nice. But too many times he was held to very little, and a drive would stall. He's not a feature back. He needs to be in tandem with a bell cow runner.

Give me a RB that can consistently give me 5, 3, 8, 4, 10, 3, 5, 12, etc... That was Zeke. But it's not any more and hasn't been for a couple years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Pollard's homerun ability is nice. But too many times he was held to very little, and a drive would stall. He's not a feature back. He needs to be in tandem with a bell cow runner.

Give me a RB that can consistently give me 5, 3, 8, 4, 10, 3, 5, 12, etc... That was Zeke. But it's not any more and hasn't been for a couple years.
Was is the operative word.

And if we are all being honest with ourselves, Elliott hasn't been that back for a least since his second contract.

Get three guys if you have to. It is all about workload and cost.

In today's age, paying a RB is suicidal, no matter how good they are.

I don't think if Barry Sanders came into this league now that he would have the same impact.

RBs do matter. Anyone that says it doesn't matter is being obtuse.

This is a different game and scouting the position is different just different now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
RBs do matter. Anyone that says it doesn't matter is being obtuse.
They absolutely matter. It's why you can't trot Zeke out there anymore. He is a detriment to the offense. RBs are just plentiful. I'd love to have 3 good ones on cheap deals over one guy who I put all my faith in. That one guy will either burn out suddenly or you're an injury away from what we had in the 49ers game.

Anyway, all I'd say is it isn't that hard or expensive to have 3 good RBs without paying some guy 10+ mil.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Y’all remember how when Shanahan was in Denver, he would turn out RB after RB?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

You're not wrong. He was probably the best RB in the league or close to it his first several years. We just overused him.

Genghis Khan

Yeah its funny how RBs work. Early in their careers most would have said we made the right choice. But RBs stars fade fast and early and corners don't. It's why now 6 years down the road one is still a star and one is washed up. It's why RBs are devalued in the NFL.

Eh. I think Ramsey is overrated, overpaid (by a lot) and we wouldn't have gotten any further had we picked Ramsey / Henry instead.

Genghis Khan

Completely agree.

Top Bottom