Sturm: Cowboys corner Byron Jones is about to get away. Why does nobody seem concerned?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Anyone else find it more than a little contradictory that Storm mentions the huge mistake that the Jets made by signing Trumaine Johnson but then quickly follows it up with by not wanting to talk about their "silly decision" while essentially advocating doing the same thing?

I usually love all of Sturm's work, but I can't let that one slide.

He's also crafting some false narrative where nobody is "concerned" when that's not true at all. But, like Stephen Jones and the Cowboys, I'm actually accepting the fact that they simply can't afford to keep everybody. And at the end of the day, I'm prioritizing the playmakers over the solid players.

My quarterback
My big play receiver
My 11.5 sack guy
Yep, the top 3 easily are Dak, Amari and Quinn. You "lucked" into Quinn and he showed he is well worth the price in this defense. No way am I letting him test the market. Just get him signed.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Yep, the top 3 easily are Dak, Amari and Quinn. You "lucked" into Quinn and he showed he is well worth the price in this defense. No way am I letting him test the market. Just get him signed.
I think it's unavoidable that he will test the market, I just hope that they can still get a deal worked out after he does.

Dude got this team 11.5 sacks in 14 games. And your defensive line is a trainwreck in disarray, they can't afford to lose him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's unavoidable that he will test the market, I just hope that they can still get a deal worked out after he does.

Dude got this team 11.5 sacks in 14 games. And your defensive line is a trainwreck in disarray, they can't afford to lose him.
I think Byron is sort of in a similar boat. I think the Cowboys would consider bringing him back but they want to see if they can get some other free agents instead. If they strike out and Byron is still available they may consider bringing him back.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I think Byron is sort of in a similar boat. I think the Cowboys would consider bringing him back but they want to see if they can get some other free agents instead. If they strike out and Byron is still available they may consider bringing him back.
Could be. But I keep reading about a robust market for Jones so I’m led to believe that he will have options. And be overpaid.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Could be. But I keep reading about a robust market for Jones so I’m led to believe that he will have options. And be overpaid.
And will go on to do the things everybody is saying that he doesn't do. It's going to happen.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like catch the ball?

Never.
He doesn't even have almost interceptions where it's just bad hands. The guy literally doesn't attempt to catch the ball at all. We will see where he goes but I could see him actually taking a step or two down if he goes to a team that doesn't have a scheme sort of tailored for him.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
He doesn't even have almost interceptions where it's just bad hands. The guy literally doesn't attempt to catch the ball at all.
No, the thought never even occurs to him, even the few times he does see it coming.

We will see where he goes but I could see him actually taking a step or two down if he goes to a team that doesn't have a scheme sort of tailored for him.
I'm envisioning another washout Raiders signing, like Larry Brown.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Again, this board hates corners for some reason. Seems to go back to SBK-Newmsie?

Anyway, somebody will probably pay him a fortune, so he's probably gone. But don't think you won't miss him. He's a damn good player at, yes, an important position.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Again, this board hates corners for some reason. Seems to go back to SBK-Newmsie?

Anyway, somebody will probably pay him a fortune, so he's probably gone. But don't think you won't miss him. He's a damn good player at, yes, an important position.
I don't devalue CBs, but if the debate is about which is more important, DL or DB, I go DL 100 times out of 100.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life

I don't see where anybody is "hating" on corners or Byron Jones. We're simply expressing our preferences and priorities when it's clear that the team can't afford to pay big bucks to everyone. The Cowboys themselves are doing the same.

I fully expect that the team will have to use either a first or second round pick to attempt to replace Jones.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I don't devalue CBs, but if the debate is about which is more important, DL or DB, I go DL 100 times out of 100.
I'm fully expecting that we will have to draft one (if not more later) in the first two rounds.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Oh I think corners are important. Especially ballhawking corners. And no a pass rush doesn't make corners unimportant. In an ideal world I want 4 guys in my secondary that are all ballhawks. Makes the opposing team scared to throw the ball at all. Make it so when a QB does make a mistake they pay dearly. I'm tired of errant throws by QBs continually harmlessly hitting the turf because we have no guys in the secondary capable of playing the ball instead of the man (Except Lewis, I've seen him make some real plays on the ball).

Byron Jones just isn't that valuable to me.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You need solid, fast CBs of course. Just don’t want to pay market price for them unless they bring at least the threat of interceptions.

The last good one I can recall in Dallas was Ryan McNeil. He was always in position, fluid, strong enough to support the run, and would challenge the catch.

Cowboys are too obsessed with the CB and DE positions. They don’t get how great interior linemen create nearly equal pass pressure and make running the ball really hard.

They just see corners as their defensive safety valve.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'm fully expecting that we will have to draft one (if not more later) in the first two rounds.
There's no way I want us to go cb in the first, at least not without trading back. Imo there's one 1st rnd cb in Okudah then a bunch of late 1st-3rd rnd talent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's no way I want us to go cb in the first, at least not without trading back. Imo there's one 1st rnd cb in Okudah then a bunch of late 1st-3rd rnd talent.
Yep, I couldn't even tell you who the first round corners after Okudah will be. At least experts have cooled on that turd Fulton. Goddamn nickle corner.

Regardless I hope Lewis gets a chance to be a legit starter next year.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yep, I couldn't even tell you who the first round corners after Okudah will be. At least experts have cooled on that turd Fulton. Goddamn nickle corner.

Regardless I hope Lewis gets a chance to be a legit starter next year.
I'm hoping the coaching change helps with takeaways, it seemed Lewis was in the doghouse alot because he actually tried to get the ball which is insane

Top Bottom