Sturm: Cowboys corner Byron Jones is about to get away. Why does nobody seem concerned?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Lewis is a good example that INTs aren't a good barometer of how good a corner is. Do people think he's better than Byron Jones just because he makes more plays on the ball? He makes more plays because he gambles and guesses, which is also why he's in and out of the lineup.

I guess no one agrees with Bob's long article in the OP.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lewis is a good example that INTs aren't a good barometer of how good a corner is. Do people think he's better than Byron Jones just because he makes more plays on the ball? He makes more plays because he gambles and guesses, which is also why he's in and out of the lineup.

Not saying Lewis is better but he doesn't play because he is 5'10" and Byron is 6'1" with long arms.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I agree. Interceptions are great but you have to strike a balance between gambling and not as a result giving up a ton of long plays.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
In Byron’s defense, his lack of interceptions wouldn’t be as big an issue if as a team defense they could just get an average amount of turnovers. It’s amplified however when literally no one is getting any. Just makes you wonder what sort of shat that 2014 squad was on. Especially considering that over the last ten seasons, no team has forced fewer turnovers than we have.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Not saying Lewis is better but he doesn't play because he is 5'10" and Byron is 6'1" with long arms.
Well that is what Richard liked. I'm not sure that is the way to go at all.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well that is what Richard liked. I'm not sure that is the way to go at all.
I have a feeling that we can look back at the Marinelli/Richard pairing as horrific.

Both were traits-oriented but yet wanted perfect scheme fits.

That means you basically entered every draft with a checklist. And as the ones you approved got picked off, the list got lower and lower.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I have a feeling that we can look back at the Marinelli/Richard pairing as horrific.

That means you basically entered every draft with a checklist. And as the ones you approved got picked off, the list got lower and lower.
What do you mean? Trysten Hill was just misunderstood in college, that’s all.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
In Byron’s defense, his lack of interceptions wouldn’t be as big an issue if as a team defense they could just get an average amount of turnovers. It’s amplified however when literally no one is getting any. Just makes you wonder what sort of shat that 2014 squad was on. Especially considering that over the last ten seasons, no team has forced fewer turnovers than we have.
Henry Melton, Terrell McClain, Jeremy Mincey, Rolando McClain, Bruce Carter in a contract year, Sterling Moore... strange soup of free agents/journeymen that ran counter to the traditional bend-try-not-to-break culture in Dallas.

Everyone was hurt by the playoffs, but they made a difference to start the season and set trends.

p1_

DCC 4Life

McCarthy is echoing you

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Now the Jets are the latest team to be all in on Jones.

I guess they didn't learn their lesson from Trumaine Johnson.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas is drafting two DBs in the first four rounds, one most likely in the first round.

Unless they trade up, the most talented defenders at their draft position will likely be in the secondary.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Now the Jets are the latest team to be all in on Jones.

I guess they didn't learn their lesson from Trumaine Johnson.
Exactly what I was thinking. Dump your last free agent cornerback mistake and jump right into the next one. Then again, these are the Jets we're talking about. When is the last time they've actually made a good decision on anything?

Top Bottom