Sturm: Cowboys corner Byron Jones is about to get away. Why does nobody seem concerned?

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Dallas is drafting two DBs in the first four rounds, one most likely in the first round.

Unless they trade up, the most talented defenders at their draft position will likely be in the secondary.
That post comes across a bit too definitive but you could very well end up being right.

I could see them draft Henderson if he's still there at #17 or if one of the top two defensive tackles should somehow fall (not likely), otherwise, I think they'll be all over the phones looking to trade down.

And given the turnover at cornerback on the horizon with Jones, Brown this year and Lewis and Awuzie next year, they'll need to restock the position.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That post comes across a bit too definitive but you could very well end up being right.

I could see them draft Henderson if he's still there at #17 or if one of the top two defensive tackles should somehow fall (not likely), otherwise, I think they'll be all over the phones looking to trade down.

And given the turnover at cornerback on the horizon with Jones, Brown this year and Lewis and Awuzie next year, they'll need to restock the position.
Well and he said DB. I mean in the first I could easily see DT, CB or safety. If those top 2 DTs are gone I think a DB is pretty likely in the first.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Well and he said DB. I mean in the first I could easily see DT, CB or safety. If those top 2 DTs are gone I think a DB is pretty likely in the first.
Just my opinion, but I do not see the Cowboys drafting a safety at #17.

In the scenario you mention with the top two DT's gone, I think it's either Henderson or the Jones boys are burning up the phone lines looking to trade down.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They're definitely going to fall in love with Henderson's measureables but I have my fingers crossed that he's taken before 17. I don't think Kinlaw or even Brown dropping is completely out of the question though, and if Kinlaw makes it to 14/15 I'd explore what it'd take to move up, I can't imagine it'd be anything more than a 4th and change.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

In the scenario you mention with the top two DT's gone, I think it's either Henderson or the Jones boys are burning up the phone lines looking to trade down.
No matter all the hype Henderson has been getting from the Dallas media I still don't think he's worth 17. I'd rather trade back.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah I'm with you but a corner and safety or 2 corners in the first four rounds sounds like a safe bet.

I'll admitt I kind of have come around on Henderson. He has length, speed and production. He is the only corner we could take at 17 I'd be good with.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
No matter all the hype Henderson has been getting from the Dallas media I still don't think he's worth 17. I'd rather trade back.
I don't necessarily blame you on that. And the Cowboys may attempt to do just that. I think the second round is the sweet spot for defensive backs in this draft.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Yeah I'm with you but a corner and safety or 2 corners in the first four rounds sounds like a safe bet.

I'll admitt I kind of have come around on Henderson. He has length, speed and production. He is the only corner we could take at 17 I'd be good with.
I think that Diggs may have the most upside potential but he did himself no favors by not working out. Henderson certainly did.

GShock

DCC 4Life
We should consider tagging Jones. Yes the cost, but it would give us insurance in case we miss out on FA/draft targets, leverage for a trade (picks or player), and an ability to prevent him from going to the Eagles or Giants.

Letting him go and getting nothing in return (given what we will have to do in FA this year), potentially to a division rival, only to knee jerk draft his replacement in a premium round and hope for the best seems...risky.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Henderson is the only CB who wouldn't be a complete disaster at 17, although I'd much rather take McKinney or even Delpit. I might even rather take a guy like Zack Baun depending on what sort of defensive scheme we're running, but that would be much better after a trade down.

Long story short, if Kinlaw/Brown are gone, my preference is Chaisson/McKinney/Delpit or a trade down.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We should consider tagging Jones. Yes the cost, but it would give us insurance in case we miss out on FA/draft targets, leverage for a trade (picks or player), and an ability to prevent him from going to the Eagles or Giants.

Letting him go and getting nothing in return (given what we will have to do in FA this year), potentially to a division rival, only to knee jerk draft his replacement in a premium round and hope for the best seems...risky.
I'd definitely tag him (and look to flip him) if we get deals done with Dak/Amari, but getting deals done with Dak/Amari in about the next 96 hours seems unlikely.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I hope we wouldn't knee jerk. I'd rather just sign a free agent in the 6 mil range who is a borderline starter and then go into the draft viewing it as a need but not a must have.

Ultimately if we have to sink a draft pick into the position to secure it for the next 5 years at a reasonable price I'm ok with it. And maybe we get a third round comp pick for Jones. I hate clinging to someone just because we don't want to create a need.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jones is going to become the highest paid CB in the league if he makes it to the market, we're definitely getting a 3 for him.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life

Tagging Jones is not an option.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd definitely tag him (and look to flip him) if we get deals done with Dak/Amari, but getting deals done with Dak/Amari in about the next 96 hours seems unlikely.
I hate tying up money on the franchise tag while we need money to sign free agents.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
These guys aren't going to do shit after paying Dak/Amari/Quinn, believe that.
I don't believe that actually. I think the Cowboys will be more aggressive than we've seen them in recent years because they feel they're in 'win now mode' with the current roster talent and coaching staff. And given the expected CBA increase to the salary cap, I think they will spend aggressively.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't believe that actually. I think the Cowboys will be more aggressive than we've seen them in recent years because they feel they're in 'win now mode' with the current roster talent and coaching staff. And given the expected CBA increase to the salary cap, I think they will spend aggressively.
I thought that too, especially since we have like 3 DL under contract and we're seemingly shifting defensive philosophies, but Stephen has already started making noises about how we'll be "limited" or things will be "difficult" as he's done in years past.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I thought that too, especially since we have like 3 DL under contract and we're seemingly shifting defensive philosophies, but Stephen has already started making noises about how we'll be "limited" or things will be "difficult" as he's done in years past.
I'm actually glad he's talking that way, certainly with Prescott and Cooper yet to be re-signed. But both Joneses have also mentioned how they feel this team is ready to win now, and that tells me they're willing to spend. The being said, I'd guess many other teams will be spending as well, so that will drive up prices league-wide.

Top Bottom