Stephen Jones Speaks...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We're listing Dez as one of our blue chippers yet trying to say we need to cut him cause he's washed up in another thread. Interesting.
Because different people have different opinions. And some people think Dez is still the same guy from 4 years ago. While others believe he is what we have seen over the last 3 seasons.

But Dez definitely isn't a blue chipper anymore. Still having arguable the best RB, Guard, Center and Tackle in all of the NFL says a little something about "blue chippers" I don't think there is any question that Dallas is talented. Look around the NFL. Parity keeps any NFL team from being that "stacked."

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The eagles just won the super bowl and I can't think of more than 3 or 4 of their players that I'd consider blue chippers.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We're listing Dez as one of our blue chippers yet trying to say we need to cut him cause he's washed up in another thread. Interesting.
I listed him as a blue chipper because he is one. He's better than Alshon Jeffery, for example, but people are so ready to throw him under a bus. It's bullshit.

Look at the real problems-- offensive coaching and lack of experience at QB.

Dak can't break free of "take what the defense gives you" mode. This is OK if no one has film on you, you have a superstar performance at RB, and your OL is one of the best ever to play.

Take away that RB and mess with his head, remove a stud guard and solid RT from that OL (plus a sprinkling of age and injury), and an offseason of film and shit changed. Greatly.

Our coaching didn't. Not a bit.

Threw Dak to the wolves and left Dez on an island.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I didn't know until a few days ago that Vaea is 25 yrs old. Not sure how big of a deal that is. But that puts him, and who ever drafts him, at a 2-3 year disadvantage.
I'm sure it's been mentioned here before but I guess I missed it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I listed him as a blue chipper because he is one. He's better than Alshon Jeffery, for example, but people are so ready to throw him under a bus. It's bullshit.

Look at the real problems-- offensive coaching and lack of experience at QB.

Dak can't break free of "take what the defense gives you" mode. This is OK if no one has film on you, you have a superstar performance at RB, and your OL is one of the best ever to play.

Take away that RB and mess with his head, remove a stud guard and solid RT from that OL (plus a sprinkling of age and injury), and an offseason of film and shit changed. Greatly.

Our coaching didn't. Not a bit.

Threw Dak to the wolves and left Dez on an island.
Two things you don’t mention: 1) Dez led the league in drops and 2) the guy can’t separate. Not to mention, he’s no longer able to beat single coverage. Those are real factors.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Two things you don’t mention: 1) Dez led the league in drops and 2) the guy can’t separate. Not to mention, he’s no longer able to beat single coverage. Those are real factors.
He didn’t. That was Marquise Lee. Right behind him was a tie between Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas, and Jimmy Graham.

Stat means literally nothing. What you want is drop percentage.

Dez can and and does beat single coverage. You just need a QB capable of throwing it to him.

Dez probably leads the league in wild uncatchable throws that somehow statistically still counted as targets.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He didn’t. That was Marquise Lee. Right behind him was a tie between Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas, and Jimmy Graham.

Dez can and and does beat single coverage. You just need a QB capable of throwing it to him.

Dez probably leads the league in wild uncatchable throws that somehow statistically still counted as targets.
Actually he doesn't. Dez was right at league average for percentage of catchable balls. There was an article posted on here about it. So the it's not Dez's fault crowd is wrong.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Agreed, and Dez was second worst in the league with a 12.5% drop rate.

p1_

DCC 4Life
# Name Team Targets Receptions Drops Catchable

1 Bryant DAL 126 69 12 81

2 Allen LAC 147 102 11 113

3 Cooper OAK 90 48 10 58

4 Thomas DEN 136 83 10 93

5 Lee JAX 91 56 8 64

The point is that he dropped way more passes than he should, so the discussion about whether the delivery was good enough falls on deaf ears when the ones that are there actually hit him in the face-mask (At New York).

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
# Name Team Targets Receptions Drops Catchable

1 Bryant DAL 126 69 12 81
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2017&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=0&sortOrder=0

Here are the real stats. 6 actual drops for a 4.5% drop rate out of 132 targets. What you’re showing is someone’s conjecture about what was catchable.

Like I said, he leads the league in passes that someone thinks were catchable.

And even if somoeone thought 81 of Dez’s targets were catchable, doesn’t it disturb you that Dak threw 51 uncatchable balls to Dez??

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2017&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=0&sortOrder=0

Here are the real stats. 6 actual drops for a 4.5% drop rate out of 132 targets. What you’re showing is someone’s conjecture about what was catchable.

Like I said, he leads the league in passes that someone thinks were catchable.

And even if somoeone thought 81 of Dez’s targets were catchable, doesn’t it disturb you that Dak threw 51 uncatchable balls to Dez??
6 drops, fuck, we saw six balls bounce off his face mask.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
51 uncatchable passes. Hmmm.
Yeah and that's not subjective at all. Did you see the article that had it broken down for every receiver and Dez was right at league average for uncatchable pass percentage? This idea that Dak just threw Dez a bunch of junk is a fantasy.

p1_

DCC 4Life
51 uncatchable passes. Hmmm.
So now how do you get to use the equally subjective and opinion driven "uncatchable" statistic? "Catchable", "Uncatchable"... all in the eyes of a person and subject to challenge.

A drop is not questionable. Nor is Dez' leadership in that category.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So now how do you get to use the equally subjective and opinion driven "uncatchable" statistic? "Catchable", "Uncatchable"... all in the eyes of a person and subject to challenge.

Some drops certainly are questionable.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Regardless of what these stats say, he simply is not worth what we're paying him. Goodwin had more yards receiving last year (mostly with a shitty qb) and got 3 yrs/20 mill. Asking him to take a pay cut is going to piss him off. Sign a decent FA, and draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd. Move the fuck on.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Dude I’m quoting your own freaking stats back to you

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Regardless of what these stats say, he simply is not worth what we're paying him. Goodwin had more yards receiving last year (mostly with a shitty qb) and got 3 yrs/20 mill. Asking him to take a pay cut is going to piss him off. Sign a decent FA, and draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd. Move the fuck on.
So you say regardless of stats then you quote stats?

Who cares what Goodwin got for the 49ers, what would he done on the Cowboys?

Of course you draft a guy, but you do it because Dez is 29, not because you think you’re going to get top production from him as a rookie.

Dak’s game is throwing to the open guy in single coverage. That’s it. It worked fine in 2016 when he had all the time in the world in the pocket and the league’s most explosive running game to back him up.

No no one was complaining about Dez then. Except Bipo, of course.

But Dak couldn’t do it when the heat was on. He sucked, and rather than even entertain the thought that we really don’t have our QB of the future we look to deflect blame.

Blame inneffective TWill, Beasley, Witten, and Dez because somehow they all became “bad” at once. Good riddance Butler.

Youd rather think that rather illogical thought than admit Dak’s weaknesses were exposed and none of his strengths exploited.

Top Bottom