boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys won’t use first-round pick on “pure nose tackle”
By Drew Davison
ddavison@star-telegram.com

February 27, 2018 03:02 PM

Indianapolis
The Dallas Cowboys have no plans to change their draft philosophy when it comes to run-stopping defensive tackles – don’t invest a first-round pick on them.
Nose tackle isn’t a premium position in the Tampa 2 scheme that defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli runs.

“If you’re talking about a pure nose, I don’t see that changing for us,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said on Tuesday from the NFL Scouting Combine.

“I think we just feel like in Rod’s system that we can get the job done without a big, first-round nose, if that’s all he really is. Now, some of these guys might be more than a nose than you think. They could have some under tackle to them and you’re certainly looking at them if that’s the case. Obviously that under tackle position is a big one for us.”

The Cowboys have gotten by with nose tackles such as Nick Hayden and Stephen Paea in recent years. Maliek Collins switched to nose last season when Paea retired, although the Cowboys liked what Collins brought to the under tackle spot as a rookie in 2016.

With the Cowboys rigid stance on nose tackles, it’s unlikely they would consider Washington’s Vita Vea with the 19th overall pick in this year’s NFL Draft. Several experts have Vea as a logical fit for the Cowboys, but the organization simply doesn’t hold that position as high value.

Vea showed pass rush abilities at Washington, registering 9.5 sacks in three seasons, but he’s still viewed as a nose tackle. So is Alabama’s Da’Ron Payne, another tackle projected to go in the first round.

Offensively, though, the Cowboys wouldn’t be afraid of drafting a left guard in the first round. Jonathan Cooper is a free agent and the Cowboys are looking to upgrade that position.

“I wouldn’t rule it out if there’s a great one there,” Jones said. “If Zack Martin is sitting there again then you better take a look. You might be getting a Hall of Famer.”

----------------

Unless Quentin Nelson falls to #19, I don't see a Hall of Fame-type left guard.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Wow...freakin seriously? Hard to tell if Marinelli is still calling the shots on this or this organization just doesn't get it. Off the top of my head I can't think of one top defense that doesn't have a difference maker at the one tech.
Blows my mind. Guess we hope for a late round steal, or get used to seeing more schlubs and jags getting owned by opposing O lines.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
They are buffoons. This proves it. Unless of course we’ve all just been “sucked”

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
They are buffoons. This proves it. Unless of course we’ve all just been “sucked”
That's a possibility. But Stephen seems to call it like he sees it without pulling any punches. His daddy goes down rabbit trails.
Have they not learned from guys like Hayden and Paea? Apparently not. Guess Marinelli and everyone else associated with the his team honestly believe that this position means dick. A disposable player and roster option.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There's a (slim) possibility they go after Poe, but I think it will be more of the same crapfest of non-talent at a key spot on the front.

midswat

... soon
My favorite part is how they say it's easier to find a safety than a corner when, correct me if I'm wrong, but outside of one good year by Ken Hamlin, we haven't had competent reliable safety play since double bombs to Santana Moss on MNF.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
1:33pm

2:27pm

Jesus. You timestamped yourself.

That's gotta be a first.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
My favorite part is how they say it's easier to find a safety than a corner when, correct me if I'm wrong, but outside of one good year by Ken Hamlin, we haven't had competent reliable safety play since double bombs to Santana Moss on MNF.
Hey bud, they know the process, ok?

They've been doing this a long time!

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
That's a possibility. But Stephen seems to call it like he sees it without pulling any punches. His daddy goes down rabbit trails.
Have they not learned from guys like Hayden and Paea? Apparently not. Guess Marinelli and everyone else associated with the his team honestly believe that this position means dick. A disposable player and roster option.
Don't disrespect the Golden Cock.

Just don't.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
And to hell with that Destiny Child heiffer. I still blame her for R00000000yyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!! DDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAMNNNNNNNNN STay Down Bitch's downfall.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
1:33pm

2:27pm

Jesus. You timestamped yourself.

That's gotta be a first.
I had a couple of tweets I posted from my phone clipboard. I can't see them right away, just shows up blank unless you refresh.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Cowboys won’t use first-round pick on “pure nose tackle”
By Drew Davison
ddavison@star-telegram.com

February 27, 2018 03:02 PM

Indianapolis
The Dallas Cowboys have no plans to change their draft philosophy when it comes to run-stopping defensive tackles – don’t invest a first-round pick on them.
Nose tackle isn’t a premium position in the Tampa 2 scheme that defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli runs.

“If you’re talking about a pure nose, I don’t see that changing for us,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said on Tuesday from the NFL Scouting Combine.

“I think we just feel like in Rod’s system that we can get the job done without a big, first-round nose, if that’s all he really is. Now, some of these guys might be more than a nose than you think. They could have some under tackle to them and you’re certainly looking at them if that’s the case. Obviously that under tackle position is a big one for us.”

The Cowboys have gotten by with nose tackles such as Nick Hayden and Stephen Paea in recent years. Maliek Collins switched to nose last season when Paea retired, although the Cowboys liked what Collins brought to the under tackle spot as a rookie in 2016.

With the Cowboys rigid stance on nose tackles, it’s unlikely they would consider Washington’s Vita Vea with the 19th overall pick in this year’s NFL Draft. Several experts have Vea as a logical fit for the Cowboys, but the organization simply doesn’t hold that position as high value.

Vea showed pass rush abilities at Washington, registering 9.5 sacks in three seasons, but he’s still viewed as a nose tackle. So is Alabama’s Da’Ron Payne, another tackle projected to go in the first round.

Offensively, though, the Cowboys wouldn’t be afraid of drafting a left guard in the first round. Jonathan Cooper is a free agent and the Cowboys are looking to upgrade that position.

“I wouldn’t rule it out if there’s a great one there,” Jones said. “If Zack Martin is sitting there again then you better take a look. You might be getting a Hall of Famer.”

----------------

Unless Quentin Nelson falls to #19, I don't see a Hall of Fame-type left guard.
What the actual hell? If anything, a 1T is what we need on the DL right now unless they're just trying to put up one of the fabled smokescreens. That or they plan on going bargain hunting in the later rounds, maybe a guy who was projected as a first rounder awhile back but had injury issues or something. It sounds about their speed.

I wonder if they actually know what positions they're targeting to begin with.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

God damn. YA KNOW I NEVER REALLY TOUGHT OF DAT HURRRR

p1_

DCC 4Life
Sounds completely moronic.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Braintrust.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

God damn. YA KNOW I NEVER REALLY TOUGHT OF DAT HURRRR
Yeah, they just don't get creative.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If he's talking about trading away our players for picks, I know exactly why: Because this brain trust, led by Jerry, always thinks/hopes they're this close to winning it all and they don't want to lose that one player that could make a difference.

They suck at evaluating and don't have longer-term plans, claims of process-dynasties notwithstanding.

Top Bottom