Seahawks trade Harvin to Jets

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ESPN - Breaking: Seahawks trade WR Percy Harvin to Jets for a conditional draft pick - ESPN and media reports

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I wonder if there is a personality conflict between Harvin and the 'Hawks. It wouldn't surprise me if there were some type of issues going on behind the scenes. I could see Harvin bitching about the lack of opportunities.

Also, didn't he sign a sizable contract with the 'Hawks last year?

IMO, this move does nothing to help the Jets this year. Harvin's not a plug-and-play type of player. Maybe at ST but not as a WR or RB.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Percy Harvin was the Seahawk's version of the Cowboys '08 Roy Williams trade.

He had a big Super Bowl but other than that his time in Seattle was a total waste.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Fantasy Football gripe below.....

Lose a week of Harvin and then have to rely on Geno Smith getting him the ball. :picard

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Harvin only played 59.5 percent of Seattle's snaps this year -- nearly 30 percent less than both Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse

There is the answer. Harvin probably asked/forced the trade. Playing 30 percent less than both of them?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Harvin only played 59.5 percent of Seattle's snaps this year -- nearly 30 percent less than both Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse

There is the answer. Harvin probably asked/forced the trade. Playing 30 percent less than both of them?
Doesn't make any other sense why the Seahawks would get rid of him. They are short on offensive playmakers and they get rid of their only big play threat on offense for a draft pick. The Seahawks should be in win now mode but are making a move that on the surface appears to only have an eye on the future. Doesn't make much sense for the Jets either who are in shambles this year. They should be looking towards the future and have no shot at the playoffs this year. Instead they are making what looks like a desperation move.

This looks like a bad trade for both teams. Rare to see that.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The Jets are 1-6. WTF are they thinking making a trade like this? They need all the draft picks they can get, not to throw them away on luxury gimmicky WR/STers.

J. E. T. S. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Jets are 1-6. WTF are they thinking making a trade like this? They need all the draft picks they can get, not to throw them away on luxury gimmicky WR/STers.

J. E. T. S. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
Yep. He's nothing more than a gimmick WR who is not capable of being a reliable everydown WR.

He might be a playmaker, but he doesn't make enough of them to be a difference maker on a bad team.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Wilson's extension is coming up, Lynch is a FA after the season. They need the space. I don't think Harvin is solely a gimmick player. He's certainly not a number one, but he is talented and had some decent to good years in Minnesota. Personally, I think Bevell has absolutely zero creativity, and thought the only way to get him involved were on plays that all too often started at, or behind the LOS. Certainly, any way you slice it the production didn't match the contract, though.

If the Jets are smart, they'll pull a Jimmeh and hardly play the guy in what is already a lost season, and only give up a fourth. In my opinion, Harvin is worth that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Warren Moon, who apparently is close to the Seahawk organization, was basically saying it was a chemistry issue. In other words, he didn't fit and his presence on the roster took them away from what they did, which is play physical football. I can see that. There also apparently was some concern about his anger issues.

It is admirable they can move on from a mistake, but jeez, they got what...a couple of touchdowns out of millions of dollars?

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Warren Moon, who apparently is close to the Seahawk organization, was basically saying it was a chemistry issue. In other words, he didn't fit and his presence on the roster took them away from what they did, which is play physical football. I can see that. There also apparently was some concern about his anger issues.

It is admirable they can move on from a mistake, but jeez, they got what...a couple of touchdowns out of millions of dollars?
So wait, a speedy playmaker and a physical football team are incompatible?

Like I said, outside of generic screens and that jet sweep crap, Bevell didn't know what to do with this guy. Not to mention, this was in a lot of ways his first season up there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So wait, a speedy playmaker and a physical football team are incompatible?

Like I said, outside of generic screens and that jet sweep crap, Bevell didn't know what to do with this guy. Not to mention, this was in a lot of ways his first season up there.
A highly paid playmaker who doesn't block could be pretty damn incompatible.

I also think he threw a big time hissy fit when he got those TDs all overturned by penalty against the Redskins. I bet he went apeshit.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
A highly paid playmaker who doesn't block could be pretty damn incompatible.

I also think he threw a big time hissy fit when he got those TDs all overturned by penalty against the Redskins. I bet he went apeshit.
I mean, lack of effort on things like blocking are one thing, if that was indeed an issue. But I just don't believe that something changed in the player from his reasonably productive Minnesota years to Seattle. I'm not saying that this guy was the glue of that lockerroom or anything, but to shit-can a player you gave up a 1st and 3rd for after essentially six games is just strange to me.

And to be honest, I'd be miffed if I had three scores called back as well. Unless he went full on "I'm a diamond surrounded by trash mode" behind the scenes, who could blame him?

Cotton

Staff member
John Clayton is reporting it is a 2nd-4th round pick. I can't find any more specific reports.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Seahawks underrated having legit WRs. Bal had Boldin, Green Bay had Nelson, Giants had Nicks/Cruz...and then you have other great teams of this era that have had Wayne, Thomas, Fitz, Moss, etc. Now you can win with a dominant run game, but Seattle seems content letting Wilson scramble around and overlooking Lynch, Turbin, and even Michael. They bought into their hype and now think they can outsmart everyone with intricate screens and misdirection, when they should just line up and pound it.

Cotton

Staff member
The Seahawks underrated having legit WRs. Bal had Boldin, Green Bay had Nelson, Giants had Nicks/Cruz...and then you have other great teams of this era that have had Wayne, Thomas, Fitz, Moss, etc. Now you can win with a dominant run game, but Seattle seems content letting Wilson scramble around and overlooking Lynch, Turbin, and even Michael. They bought into their hype and now think they can outsmart everyone with intricate screens and misdirection, when they should just line up and pound it.
I agree. I think this hurts them tremendously. They have crap at WR without Harvin.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If the Jets are smart, they'll pull a Jimmeh and hardly play the guy in what is already a lost season, and only give up a fourth. In my opinion, Harvin is worth that.
The guy already has attitude/anger issues. That should help.

Top Bottom