Red Man Walking

• Yes

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
jsmith made a comment that you replied to. I replied to your comment, which you also replied to. Which brought jsmith back reiterating his initial point which you then spun off into something nobody in this conversation had said. Is that so hard to understand?

And nobody gives a damn what was said earlier in the thread. It had nothing to do with jsmith's comment about what Jerry said about firing himself and we were commenting on.

But, whatever. You obviously either are incapable of seeing it, or you just don't care to. I am sorry I even entered this conversation.
I acknowledged several times that Jones said he would have fired himself. I also said even having said that he still had not relinquished the GM position. Then Smith said if he would have fired himself isn’t it logical that he cared more about being the GM. I said something to the effect that that would be a conclusion one could reach but I had never heard Jones say it. So what’s the area you aren’t clear about?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I acknowledged several times that Jones said he would have fired himself. I also said even having said that he still had not relinquished the GM position. Then Smith said if he would have fired himself isn’t it logical that he cared more about being the GM. I said something to the effect that that would be a conclusion one could reach but I had never heard Jones say it. So what’s the area you aren’t clear about?
:LT

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I watched the video and again he said he would have fired the GM but he also couched it by saying he thought it was in the best interest as owner to stay on and improve the team. I don’t know what all the bruha is about this. I am merely stating what has happened. If anyone wants to say Jones isn’t interested in winning be my guest but because I am stating what he actually did is the opposite of what you think he should have done. I am saying again what Jones has done may well be a contridiction in logic however you figure out whether this contridiction condems him or he really thinks he can stay on and still try to win because that is what he did.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
This is one of those exercises in semantics that gets tedious in a hurry, especially when it comes to Jerry.

The issue is not whether he's interested in winning. Of course he's interested in winning. But if you ask would he do anything to win, the answer's no. Because the willingness to do anything to win would have meant replacing himself as GM a long tine ago.

So yes, he wants to win, but not at the expense of doing whatever's necessary to win. But he doesn't get any credit for wanting to win. Any owner would. These guys all have gigantic egos. And he doesn't get any credit for the willingness to spend money, because as GM he spent money foolishly, putting the team in bad cap situations for years. Spent tons of money but never won. That's a bad GM, who should have been fired, as he said himself.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I've read through this again and got to thinking... You know, even if he did hire a GM from outside the organization it would most likely be some schmuck with little experience that he can manipulate and override in the end anyway. Everyone knows his reputation as a control freak and he will have the final say on everything.

He doesn't want strong personalities working for him in positions of authority that can possibly overshadow him, his ego is too big for that. He does want to win but he thinks his way is the way to do it even if the results on the field show otherwise.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is one of those exercises in semantics that gets tedious in a hurry, especially when it comes to Jerry.

The issue is not whether he's interested in winning. Of course he's interested in winning. But if you ask would he do anything to win, the answer's no. Because the willingness to do anything to win would have meant replacing himself as GM a long tine ago.

So yes, he wants to win, but not at the expense of doing whatever's necessary to win. But he doesn't get any credit for wanting to win. Any owner would. These guys all have gigantic egos. And he doesn't get any credit for the willingness to spend money, because as GM he spent money foolishly, putting the team in bad cap situations for years. Spent tons of money but never won. That's a bad GM, who should have been fired, as he said himself.
This is spot on what I preached during the CFR days. And, was made fun of. Not on this board, of course.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I watched the video and again he said he would have fired the GM but he also couched it by saying he thought it was in the best interest as owner to stay on and improve the team. I don’t know what all the bruha is about this. I am merely stating what has happened. If anyone wants to say Jones isn’t interested in winning be my guest but because I am stating what he actually did is the opposite of what you think he should have done. I am saying again what Jones has done may well be a contridiction in logic however you figure out whether this contridiction condems him or he really thinks he can stay on and still try to win because that is what he did.
Are you familiar with the saying "actions speak louder than words"?

He doesn't have to say "I'd rather lose than stop being GM" his actions speak for it. And your point about him thinking he can win talks about delusion and acting based on feeling/desire (wanting to be GM) not rationale, which is where the "I would have fired the GM" quote came from.

p1_

DCC 4Life
and when was the last time you trusted Jerry's words without question?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Are you familiar with the saying "actions speak louder than words"?

He doesn't have to say "I'd rather lose than stop being GM" his actions speak for it. And your point about him thinking he can win talks about delusion and acting based on feeling/desire (wanting to be GM) not rationale, which is where the "I would have fired the GM" quote came from.
well your interpretations only go one way. His actions of saying and doing that as owner he needed to stay on as GM is what he actually did. Your version didn't happen, it is what you would like to have seen happen but the actual subsequent history paints another picture. The man thinks the team is better off with him. It isn't but he thinks and acts that it so.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
~lipsmack~ well your interpretations only go one way. His actions~lipsmack~ of saying and doing that as owner ~lipsmack~he needed to stay on as GM is what~lipsmack~ he actually did. Your version didn't ~lipsmack~happen, it is what you would like to~lipsmack~ have seen happen but the actual subsequent history~lipsmack~ paints another picture. ~lipsmack~The man thinks the team~lipsmack~ is better off with him. ~lipsmack~ It isn't but~lipsmack~ he thinks and acts ~lipsmack~that it so.
Perfect Jerryspew now...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Too bad there aren't any other MacMahons out there to ask tough questions like that. Tim got this and the one about "would you be embarrassed (after a blowout loss) if you were standing in this stadium?"

Now we just get the Todd Archers and Laufenbergs who might as well be on the payroll (or actually are).

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
To me, the best example of Jerry not willing to do anything to win (besides refusing to hire a GM, that is) is the shit he hires and keeps around as coaches. People like to say he'll spend anything it takes to win... Well, there's no salary cap on coaches. So do it.

Keeping shit like Jason Garrett around tells me all I need to know just how willing and far Jerry will go to win. He's comfortable with him. And Garrett doesn't care about Jerry's meddling. He's just happy to have a job. He hired Jimmy Johnson when he first bought the team, and Bill Parcells when he needed to sell the fan base on a new stadium. Other than that? Complete and utter crap. Guys that were just like Garrett. Happy to have a HC job in the NFL. The only guy even remotely close to a semi-decent hire was Chan Gailey, and he didn't last long.

Then there's guys like Kellen Moore. Yep. He'll do anything to win, alright.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
To me, the best example of Jerry not willing to do anything to win (besides refusing to hire a GM, that is) is the shit he hires and keeps around as coaches. People like to say he'll spend anything it takes to win... Well, there's no salary cap on coaches. So do it.

Keeping shit like Jason Garrett around tells me all I need to know just how willing and far Jerry will go to win. He's comfortable with him. And Garrett doesn't care about Jerry's meddling. He's just happy to have a job. He hired Jimmy Johnson when he first bought the team, and Bill Parcells when he needed to sell the fan base on a new stadium. Other than that? Complete and utter crap. Guys that were just like Garrett. Happy to have a HC job in the NFL. The only guy even remotely close to a semi-decent hire was Chan Gailey, and he didn't last long.

couldn't agree more but I haven't seen anyone around here that says he will do anything to win.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
couldn't agree more but I haven't seen anyone around here that says he will do anything to win.
Just because it hasn't been said here, doesn't mean it hasn't been said ad nauseam.

p1_

DCC 4Life

I almost started to say something about Gailey when I saw you mentioned him as a good coach. Even Jerry says he regrets how he handled Chan.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Chan Gailey resurrected the offense and Emmitt Smith's career along with it.

I don't think he was a great HC, but he at least had some coaching chops and was a solid X's and O's guy when it came to the offense.

That makes him a genius compared to Switzer, Campo, and Garrett.

Top Bottom