Rapoport: La'el Collins On The Trading Block (nope release lol)

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That’s def true, but also his production was significantly down last year for a host of reasons. I think Stephen got his financial sphincter in a bunch.
Bottom line, though it all Cooper filled exactly the same role he's played since Lamb arrived and the OL began its decline in 2020.

It could be Jones saw the nagging injuries Cooper started piling up in addition to his COVID fiasco and freaked out.

But then why turn around and try to hand similar huge money to Gregory, who's never played 16 or more games and started more than 10 only once?

[EDIT] Hell, Gregory has never had more than 55% total snap counts in his career. That's a ridiculous basis for someone landing such a huge FA contract. By comparison DLAW had 57% last year despite only playing in 7 games.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
Bottom line, though it all Cooper filled exactly the same role he's played since Lamb arrived and the OL began its decline in 2020.

It could be Jones saw the nagging injuries Cooper started piling up in addition to his COVID fiasco and freaked out.

But then why turn around and try to hand similar huge money to Gregory, who's never played 16 or more games and started more than 10 only once?
I think he handed the money to Randy because a) Gregory was homegrown and b) he perceived the WR depth as better than the DE depth/talent.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think he handed the money to Randy because a) Gregory was homegrown and b) he perceived the WR depth as better than the DE depth/talent.
I think Dorance Armstrong's almost equal production to Gregory's proved Dan Quinn really knows what he is doing.

I have no problem replacing Gregory with a depth player rotation so long as Quinn is here. Hell, Gregory was basically a depth player for his entirety in Dallas save for those 11 starts in 2021.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think Dorance Armstrong's almost equal production to Gregory's proved Dan Quinn really knows what he is doing.
Its interesting that their production was similar, and yet they appear to be pretty distinctly different skillsets.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hell, Gregory has never had more than 55% total snap counts in his career.
This is why I don't worry about Jordan Davis being only a "part time" player. A stud D-lineman doesn't have to play a ton of snaps to have a massive impact. Which Gregory did have for us last year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Its interesting that their production was similar, and yet they appear to be pretty distinctly different skillsets.
I think Armstrong is a better interior pass-rusher thanks to his size/strength, which is arguably a better fit considering that it allows Lawrence and Parsons to stay on the edge. Gregory is the better player, yes, but probably not enough to justify twice the cost.

I said before Gregory left that I'd take Armstrong/Wagner over Gregory/some rotational LB.

The problem is that they aren't going to re-invest the savings in anybody significant.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think Armstrong is a better interior pass-rusher thanks to his size/strength, which is arguably a better fit considering that it allows Lawrence and Parsons to stay on the edge. Gregory is the better player, yes, but probably not enough to justify twice the cost.

I said before Gregory left that I'd take Armstrong/Wagner over Gregory/some rotational LB.

The problem is that they aren't going to re-invest the savings in anybody significant.
What edge talent will be available @ 24?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What edge talent will be available @ 24?
There's a good chance someone like Karlaftis is available and would probably be the BPA, but I'm starting to think that 24 is earmarked for an OL considering they're literally ignoring LG after letting Williams walk.

Good news is there should be plenty of DL talent available in the 2nd and even 3rd round.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Gregory is the better player, yes, but probably not enough to justify twice the cost.
Gregory's deal is really 3 years, $42,000,000 + 4 million dead after 28 guaranteed while Armstrong's is 2 years 13 million.

By that reckoning the Broncos are paying $32k per snap count while Dallas is paying $12.8k for each of Armstrong's, so it is almost exactly 2.5 times as expensive.

Gregory showed up in October.

We need players who are going to be there all year and especially strong down the stretch. Give me 2.5 times as many Armstrong's over one Gregory any day.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm starting to think that 24 is earmarked for an OL considering they're literally ignoring LG after letting Williams walk.

I think this too. The one other possibility to me is maybe they like McGovern better than it seems but even then I think it's basically guaranteed they'll take a guard in one of the first 2 or 3 rounds.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think this too. The one other possibility to me is maybe they like McGovern better than it seems but even then I think it's basically guaranteed they'll take a guard in one of the first 2 or 3 rounds.
I'd be pretty surprised if they were comfortable penciling him at LG considering they benched him late last year.

There could be a BPA there they just can't pass up, but even then I agree that it's basically a lock we'd then take an OL who can play on the interior on day 2.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm starting to think that 24 is earmarked for an OL
Not much choice I think. They need a strong infusion up front.

The OL of the last two years could not protect long enough on deep patterns.

With a QB who'd rather dump off to the underneath TE 98% of the time before leading WR's open as they are breaking upfield, we especially need a strong OL that can consistently block that extra second. That is if we're going to have a strong deep passing game vs teams not named Washington or Atlanta.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be pretty surprised if they were comfortable penciling him at LG considering they benched him late last year.

There could be a BPA there they just can't pass up, but even then I agree that it's basically a lock we'd then take an OL who can play on the interior on day 2.
Yeah, I think they must just be comfortable with this O-line class beyond the first round. It would be pretty stupid to bank on 2 specific players being there at 24 or your screwed. But in all likelihood I think we take an O-lineman at 24.

And maybe they feel at least comfortable with McGovern if push came to shove. They liked him enough to bench Williams for him last year. But then they liked him so little that they went back to Williams. They could be banking on a full offseason of letting McGovern focuse on LG could produce better results but that is risky. I do think it was foolish to be bouncing the guy around from RG to center to LG. The guy hasn't had a chance to focus in on one position. He played FB too but I'm not going to poo poo that because I liked it and it was pretty limited.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

May be a reason why we didnt see him in the lineup and wasn't there a report that they or he felt that he needed to be at RG??

Im not counting on McGovern at all and they shouldn't either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
May be a reason why we didnt see him in the lineup and wasn't there a report that they or he felt that he needed to be at RG??

Im not counting on McGovern at all and they shouldn't either.
Yeah I know there was something at one point about how he is a better RG than LG. I'm not really sure why but it's kind of weird how some players really struggle flopping sides for some reason.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
And maybe they feel at least comfortable with McGovern if push came to shove. They liked him enough to bench Williams for him last year. But then they liked him so little that they went back to Williams. They could be banking on a full offseason of letting McGovern focuse on LG could produce better results but that is risky. I do think it was foolish to be bouncing the guy around from RG to center to LG. The guy hasn't had a chance to focus in on one position.
I'm still not that down on him. Maybe the guy just isn't that smart and it takes him longer to pick things up. He played very well that first game when Martin was out against Suh and Vea. It could be that he just needs more reps, like a full preseason, to learn the left side.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Reality is the Cowboys are built to fellate Jerry and Stephen, not actually win anything.

La’el in one sentence has made that crystal clear.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Reality is the Cowboys are built to fellate Jerry and Stephen, not actually win anything.

La’el in one sentence has made that crystal clear.

That has nothing to do with what Collins said. He was released, it's not like he had a choice to be here but chose someone else instead.

Top Bottom