Random killing of Australian ballplayer prompts threats, boycotts

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Random killing of Australian ballplayer prompts threats, boycotts

Three teenagers have been charged in what some are calling the "thrill killing" of a college baseball star after one of the suspects told officials "we were bored. We had nothing to do. We decided we'd kill somebody."

By Christopher Nelson and Henry Austin, NBC News

Anonymous threats against a local high school and calls for a travel boycott by Australians to the United States came Tuesday after three Oklahoma teens were charged in the random shooting of a college baseball player jogging down a tree-lined street.

Christopher Lane, 22, a native of Melbourne, Australia, and a rising senior at East Central University, was gunned down Friday in Duncan, Okla. Police said one of the teens charged in the case said the boys "were bored" and didn’t have anything to do, so they decided to kill somebody.

James Francis Edwards Jr., 15, and Chancey Allen Luna, 16, were charged with murder. A third teenager, Michael Dewayne Jones, 17, was charged with being an accessory to murder after the fact and with firing a weapon. All were charged as adults, according to the Stephens County District Attorney’s Office.

The shooting has dominated news reports in Australia and led Australian deputy Prime Minister Tim Fischer to call on Australian tourists to boycott the U.S.

"It is another example of murder mayhem on Main Street," Fischer said on CNN on Tuesday night.

"People thinking of going to the USA for business or tourists trips should think carefully about it given the statistical fact you are 15 times more likely to be shot dead in the USA than in Australia per capita per million people," Fishcher said.

Earlier Tuesday, a U.S. State Department spokeswoman said: "The United States is deeply saddened to hear the tragic news of the death of an Australian citizen in Oklahoma. This is clearly a tragic death, and we extend our condolences to the family and the loved ones. We understand that local authorities are focused on bringing those responsible to justice. Clearly, we would support that."

On Tuesday night, anonymous threats were made against Duncan High School, where at least two of the suspects were students.

“The credibility of the person or persons communicating the threats is very difficult to ascertain. However, we want to be proactive in taking reasonable precautions,” Dr. Sherry Labyer, the town’s Superintendent of Schools, wrote in a letter to parents, late Tuesday.

As result, she said that with help from the police, security would be beefed up in schools across the town and that students would only be allowed to leave once a parent checked them out.

They would also not be allowed to have lunch off campus, as would normally be the case.

“We want to be proactive in taking reasonable precautions,” she said, but added that she did not wish to panic parents or students.

If convicted of first-degree murder, the suspects could face life in prison.

The teens were reportedly turned in by their next potential target, Australian newspaper the Herald Sun reported.

James Johnson, 52, told the newspaper that he called the police to tell them that the accused killers were hiding in the parking lot of the Immauel Baptist Church, two hours after they allegedly shot Lane.

"My son called me and said, "They're saying they're coming to kill me." So I called the police and they got here within about three minutes," Johnson told the paper.

Johnson claimed that Edwards Jr. previously had threatened the life of Johnson's son on Facebook.

Friends of Lane set up a gofundme.com project to help cover expenses for his family.

“Please help us raise money to cover all expenses for Chris’s family to be able to fly to Oklahoma to receive his body and take him back to Melbourne, Australia,” they said on the site. “Every cent is greatly appreciated and all donations will go right to his family! I recently spoke to Chris’s father and he told me that if there is any money left over they will start a Christopher Lane Foundation.”

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
So where is Sharpton? Where is that piece of shit Jesse Jackson? where are all the marches in the street for a WHITE guy getting capped in the back for no reason?

White people in America have become sheep...too afraid to voice their opinions or fight for whats right.

Ridiculous.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So where is Sharpton? Where is that piece of shit Jesse Jackson? where are all the marches in the street for a WHITE guy getting capped in the back for no reason?

White people in America have become sheep...too afraid to voice their opinions or fight for whats right.

Ridiculous.
He was an Australian. Not even from Murca. Ain't nobody got time for that. Plus two of the kids were black.

data

Forbes #1
Get rid of all black people and white people. Asians and Latinos will exist in peace and harmony. Korean BBQ tacos FTW

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Get rid of all black people and white people. Asians and Latinos will exist in peace and harmony. Korean BBQ tacos FTW
If you just remove black people from murder statistics, America has a very civilized murder rate per capita. 52% of all murderers and 48% of all murder victims are black according to the Department of Justice.

Carl

RIP Brother
And what's the percentage of Americans who were shot in Australia because someone was bored?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
And what's the percentage of Americans who were shot in Australia because someone was bored?
I guess 0% compared to 0.0000000001%

You can sure as f*ck get glassed for going into the wrong pub down there though.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Still waiting for the outcry against ALL THE HATE on this one.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That is only one of many of the tweets this garbage was posting. If this is not looked at as a hate crime, there's something wrong.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
There can never be a hate crime against white people since their ancestors owned slaves a couple hundred years ago.

Where the hell have y'all been?

Jiggyfly

Banned
The outrage is right here in this thread, and I am sure you can find plenty of more outrage across the internet and Fox news.

But this is really false equivalency these guys are arrested and will most definitley be going to jail.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
That really doesn't stop any other race from the game.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Where's the president grieving saying this guy that was shot could have been his white uncle or other relative from his mother's side? :budd

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Okay, I think we all get it. There is racist and racism on both the black and white fronts. It is a shame no one of public importance will acknowledge that fact.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Sadly, we are a group of 30 or 40 or so that only members can see. But what is the false equivalency you speak of? To what are you equating this? It seem obvious what happened here since we basically have confessions from the actors involved. They were bored and decided to kill someone. There doesn't seem to be any possibility of other circumstance. This white Ausy was jogging, and the kids who were bored shot him in the back; no confrontation, no argument and a confession from the kids as to why. I see anger from members here that are concerned as to why we here nothing from black leadership including the president who were all over the Zimmerman case even though there was tons of doubt about that. So much so that they forced a trial that never should have happened. In this case it seems the attitude is " ho hum, a few black kids shot another white guy. what else is new?" Not, how is it our children are capable of becoming such monsters and what do we need to do to fix it? I see no outrage or concern from you, only comments about other people outrage and that it is on Fox and over the internet. And I noticed you mentioned Fox specifically. Is that because you aren't getting any concern or outrage from the non Fox channels. That in itself should tell you something because they were all over Zimmerman as well. Agendas mean anything here?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The outrage is right here in this thread, and I am sure you can find plenty of more outrage across the internet and Fox news.
:lol

Won't we get any 'outrage' from CNBC, CNN, ABC, etc...?

That's too bad.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol

Won't we get any 'outrage' from CNBC, CNN, ABC, etc...?

That's too bad.
And then people wonder why there is a need to have a Fox News.

Sure, they are biased. So are the other 8.

Top Bottom