Rams at Cowboys | Week 3 Game Day Chatter Thread | 09/22/2013.....

Carp

DCC 4Life
The gritty Browns with a meaningless and horrid win.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rapid Reaction: Cowboys 31, Rams 7

September, 22, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- A few thoughts on the Dallas Cowboys’ 31-7 win against the St. Louis Rams.

What it means for the Cowboys: The Cowboys moved to 2-1 and for the first time in five years opened a season with back-to-back wins at AT&T Stadium.

It was as thorough a performance as the Cowboys have had in the past two years. They jumped out to a 17-0 lead after their first three possessions and extended it to 24-0 after opening the third quarter with an impressive 80-yard drive that ended with a Tony Romo touchdown pass to rookie tight end Gavin Escobar.

But this was about the running game.

After running for 124 yards on 39 carries in the first two games, the Cowboys ran for 193 yards on 34 carries against a St. Louis defense that entered Sunday ranked sixth against the rush. It was the best Cowboys rushing performance since they put up 227 yards at the Baltimore Ravens on Oct. 14, 2012.

That game ended in a loss. This one was never really in doubt.

Stock watch: Rising -- DeMarco Murray. He must like the Rams. In 2011, he ran for a franchise-record 253 yards against St. Louis. On Sunday he had 175 yards on 26 carries and a touchdown. The Cowboys are 10-0 when Murray has 20 or more rushes in a game in his career.

Early risers: Starting fast has been an issue since Jason Garrett took over as head coach, but that hasn’t been the case so far this season.

The Cowboys have scored on their first possession in each of the first three games this season but were finally able to score a touchdown on the opening drive when Romo hit Dez Bryant on a 2-yard fade route with 7:06 left in the quarter.

The Cowboys scored on their first three possessions of the game. The last time they were that prolific came in a 44-7 win against Buffalo on Nov. 13, 2011, when they scored on four straight possessions.

Sack-happy Cowboys: St. Louis entered the game as the only team not to have allowed a sack in the first two games. Sam Bradford was sacked on his fourth pass of the game with a blitz off the edge by cornerback Orlando Scandrick.

The Cowboys ended up with four sacks in the first half and six for the game.

DeMarcus Ware broke Harvey Martin’s unofficial franchise record with a third-quarter sack of Bradford after beating a double-team. Ware now has 115 sacks for his career. His first sack came on St. Louis’ second drive after overpowering left tackle Jake Long.

What’s next: The Cowboys travel to play the San Diego Chargers next week. They are 4-1 all time in San Diego with their last win coming in the 2005 season opener (28-24).

Carp

DCC 4Life
You know what's funny about them?

They have the best collection of talent on defense in the entire league, IMO. I don't think anyone can match them man for man from simply an individual talent standpoint.

However, in spite of all those great players, they aren't all that great as a group. The rarely dominate and they don't produce a lot of low scores.

If you have an adequate offense, you're gonna move the ball and you're gonna score points on them.

I think that's why Seattle seems to have their number. They can shut down SF while SF struggles to stop that running game.
I think their defensive talent may be overrated.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stock watch: Rising -- DeMarco Murray. He must like the Rams. In 2011, he ran for a franchise-record 253 yards against St. Louis. On Sunday he had 175 yards on 26 carries and a touchdown. The Cowboys are 10-0 when Murray has 20 or more rushes in a game in his career.
Bingo.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I like what the Rams did in the offseason, but they whiffed horribly at RB. That is going to hurt them all year long...the group they have is horrid.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Defense was 1/13, on 3rd down today.

I like it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Locker Room Buzz: Dallas Cowboys

September, 22, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas – Observed in the locker room after the Dallas Cowboys31-7 winagainst the St. Louis Rams.

Murray's silence: DeMarco Murray chose not to address the media after the second-best rushing day of his career. Murray ran for 176 yards on 26 carries and had a touchdown in torching the Rams for the second time in two games against St. Louis; in 2011 against the Rams he ran for a franchise-record 253 yards. Murray entered this game with 111 yards on 32 carries in the first two games. “I thought the guys up front did a great job of opening and creating holes for DeMarco and he did a great job of seeing where it was and putting his foot in the ground and getting vertical,” quarterback Tony Romo said.

Ware’s record: DeMarcus Ware was already the Cowboys’ official sack leader, but he took over the unofficial record held by Harvey Martin with two sacks of Sam Bradford that give Ware 115 for his career. “Just having the opportunity to be a part of something that’s great and being etched in stone with Harvey Martin, a great player, there’s no words to describe it,” said Ware, who has four sacks in the last two games. Ware also came up with his first tackles of the season.

Austin’s absence: Whenever Miles Austin and "hamstring" are put in the same sentence, alarms go off. Austin missed six games with a hamstring strain in 2011 and was bothered by them all of 2012, and he was forced from Sunday's game in the third quarter because of a hamstring strain. Austin landed hard after running a go-route along the sideline and limped off the field. He was looked at by the medical staff and spent time riding the stationary bike, but did not return. Coach Jason Garrett said the score of the game was part of the reason why Austin didn’t return. “The discussion we had was he was going to continue to stay warmed up and I said that’s a good thing and we’ll keep looking at the scoreboard and make sure we can handle the situation without him,” Garrett said.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Murray (career)
vs. rest of NFL
51.8 yards per game

vs. Rams
53.5 yards per quarter

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Shorts drops a TD pass that went through his hands and hit him in the face. Then the next play, the Jags throw an INT.

:lol

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm so impressed with Church...skeptical about how effective he was in coming back from the injury, but he has showed up in every game.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm so impressed with Church...skeptical about how effective he was in coming back from the injury, but he has showed up in every game.
Me too. I think him and the emergence of Selvie has saved our ass so far this year. Even Hayden. Hopefully, they can keep it up.

data

Forbes #1
Can't believe how the Chargers lost today. I think they may have surpassed the Cowboys with their ability to debacle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Me too. I think him and the emergence of Selvie has saved our ass so far this year. Even Hayden. Hopefully, they can keep it up.
Selvie has more sacks this season then he has ever had in a season before...

Selvie has basically made Spencer an afterthought to me. Honestly don't care if Spencer plays or not from a week to week basis. I really wish we could pull the franchise tag back and save that 11 mil we are paying him. Selvie is basically giving us what Spencer would except at a very cheap price.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Do we have a gripe theme today?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Hayden has been very good for what he is...now imagine how much more effective we'll be when Ratliff comes back. Just being able to have some quality depth would be big.

Top Bottom