Quinn Succession Planning

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not entirely sure why Quinn would want that gig.

Maybe he does the math that he will get to pick his own QB and he thinks the defense is close to talented enough.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Maybe he does the math that he will get to pick his own QB and he thinks the defense is close to talented enough.
That defense has a strong interior line, that is it. No rush, no linebackers. Kind of like what he had when he took over in Dallas.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess this means Kearse and Bell's days with the Cowboys likely over.
Why Bell? He isn't going anywhere. Kearse can go though. Fowler probably follows as well.

They can have Bell for a fourth if they want it?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
But really, that #2 overall pick is humongous. Unlike some other jobs, he'll have a QB to work with. Plus that young QB will buy him a year or two of grace as the guy gets acclimated.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

He turned down comparable jobs in years past, I think it's because he could feel that he had sort of peaked here and the HC opportunities were going to start drying up, so he was more willing to take whatever.

He wasn't a serious candidate for any other job, and even got passed over by Seattle where he has deep ties, so I think he knew he had to take what he could get.

And he was clearly a backup plan for the Skins, all the local reporters intimidated that Johnson was a foregone conclusion for weeks, then they tried to beat out Seattle for McDonald, and now settled on Quinn.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I guess this means Kearse and Bell's days with the Cowboys likely over.
Kearse should have been done. The decision to play him at high safety in zone coverage against the Packers was idiotic. He will likely follow to install the culture in the secondary. I would seriously pimp all of his pet cats back to them. Williams and Bell especially. Fehoko and Scott too. And if I am frisky, Taco Mazi. I would trade them all for a high second.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
But really, that #2 overall pick is humongous. Unlike some other jobs, he'll have a QB to work with. Plus that young QB will buy him a year or two of grace as the guy gets acclimated.
It's a no-brainer from his perspective.

There's a decent chance we clean house after next season and now he goes to a team where his clock restarts entirely while he gets to roll the dice with a top 2 pick on a QB.

It's a great landing spot for him, but pretty pathetic on the part of the Skins.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Why Bell? He isn't going anywhere. Kearse can go though. Fowler probably follows as well.

They can have Bell for a fourth if they want it?
I threw his name out there because he's one of those hybrid safeties who Quinn favors. You think they'll keep him even with Quinn leaving?

I think there's a chance the new DC favors traditional LBs instead.....hopefully.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I would not take Glenn. Did his defense impress you?
No, but he's sort of a hot name as people speak highly of him. The Parcells tie never hurts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I threw his name out there because he's one of those hybrid safeties who Quinn favors. You think they'll keep him even with Quinn leaving?

I think there's a chance the new DC favors traditional LBs instead.....hopefully.
I think Bell goes back to safety where he belongs. He was basically a younger and faster Kearse. He played LBer out of necessity.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
So if it is Whitt I don't agree with some that it will just be the same as DQ since Whitt coached under him for a bit. He's coached with a bunch of different defensive coordinators, Dom Capers to name one and I'm sure Whitt has his own ideas of how to run a defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, but he's sort of a hot name as people speak highly of him. The Parcells tie never hurts.
I've said it before not all great coordinators are great head coaches and the opposite is also true. So maybe he is a great head coaching candidate. But I can only judge on what I see and what he did with the Lions defense was not great.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It's a great landing spot for him, but pretty pathetic on the part of the Skins.
I seriously don't know how they sell this. People seem to hate "retreads", and he's done less than Mike.

This feels like a move Snyder would make just to irk Cowboys fans, only that obviously isn't it anymore.

Top Bottom