Price Tags For Cowboys Free Agents

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Your memory's off. Leary beat Collins out in 2015 TC just like I predicted he would and started the season until a groin injury cost him his job and even then only after several games.

Basically Leary got Romo'd. Collins never outplayed him but took over while Leary recovered. Younger (slightly), more highly pedigreed, and with no looming knee condition he better represented the future to Dallas so they stuck with him.

Leary wasn't given reps to compete after that.

I loved watching Collins reach the second level, but he wasn't as good or nearly as consistent at blocking the first level as Leary. Especially in week 1 when he and Free shat the bed.

What has been idiotic is their refusal to develop Collins as a RT. He's just a better fit there. At 6'3" and compact, Leary's a born guard. Collins is 6'5", athletic with long arms. He needs to be out on the edge.

PFF grades from 2015:
View attachment 469
So he didnt even get reps after that says it all and no I dont even buy into that conspiracy theory.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So he didnt even get reps after that says it all and no I dont even buy into that conspiracy theory.
Conspiracy? When did I mention that?

It's obvious Leary never got a fair shake to be the starter despite consistently out-performing Collins at guard.

Collins has awesome plays mixed in with some bad games. I've not seen Leary have a truly bad game since 2014.

Anyways, it's the least of our concerns since we can't actually keep both, though we might have had we let Collins compete at RT where he belongs.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
If their idea is to re-sign Wilcox and have him replace Church as a starter, I will fucking lose it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If their idea is to re-sign Wilcox and have him replace Church as a starter, I will fucking lose it.
Brace yourself.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Actually we might lose Wilcox to Tampa so Heath is the plan

:tippytoe

Jiggyfly

Banned
You people have some really messed up memory.
No Collins has yet to have a year as good as any that Leary has had.

Collins is very inconsistent, you are just basing your opinion on his greatest hits plays.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You mean the same guy that beat him out when he was healthy and only lost his job because of injury?
Collins did not beat Leary out when he was healthy.

Leary was hurt most of that preseason and hurt his groin in season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Collins did not beat Leary out when he was healthy.

Leary was hurt most of that preseason and hurt his groin in season.
Leary's 2015 play was poor compared to Collins. Leary's 2016 play was great.

They are both excellent guards and frankly I'm thrilled with either of them being my starting LG. Collins play in 2016 looked bad once he got hurt too. Basically no matter what your opinion is, swapping Collins for Leary isn't much more then a wash at worst. But I do think it's a bit funny that former whipping boys among fans in Williams and Leary are now being propped as great irreplaceable talents by Ravi.

What it really hurts is our depth. That's where this really hurts us. But we were crazy deep on the O-line so we should be fine. Looney will slide into the backup role he played most of last year again.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Leary's 2015 play was poor compared to Collins. Leary's 2016 play was great.

They are both excellent guards and frankly I'm thrilled with either of them being my starting LG. Collins play in 2016 looked bad once he got hurt too. Basically no matter what your opinion is, swapping Collins for Leary isn't much more then a wash at worst. But I do think it's a bit funny that former whipping boys among fans in Williams and Leary are now being propped as great irreplaceable talents by Ravi.

What it really hurts is our depth. That's where this really hurts us. But we were crazy deep on the O-line so we should be fine. Looney will slide into the backup role he played most of last year again.
Leary was hurt and only played in 2 games.

Using this scenario Collins Play was worse than Leary's in 2016.

I have always propped Leary and I have no issue with him leaving but Collins did nothing on the field to take that job.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Actually we might lose Wilcox to Tampa so Heath is the plan

:tippytoe
Rather have Heath get a shot than Wilcox, honestly.

Plus this also means Dallas looks at Peppers, Budda Baker, you know, real safeties, in the draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Leary was hurt and only played in 2 games.

Using this scenario Collins Play was worse than Leary's in 2016.

I have always propped Leary and I have no issue with him leaving but Collins did nothing on the field to take that job.
And I love Leary but no one was crying at the begining of the season that Collins was our starter. I'm just thankful we have Collins waiting in the wings right now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rather have Heath get a shot than Wilcox, honestly.

Plus this also means Dallas looks at Peppers, Budda Baker, you know, real safeties, in the draft.
I use to hate Heath with an extreme passion. But dammitt the last two years the guy has grown on me. He barely plays and makes more plays then the other safeties.

Top Bottom