Price Tags For Cowboys Free Agents

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, I must be missing something if losing Wilcox, Church, and Williams is considered bad.

The only way Dallas will improve their defense-unfortunately- is to lose guys and be forced to replace them. Church and Wilcox have never been threatened with losing their jobs, even though they have sucked back there for the most part.
Well I think Wilcox sort of has. I mean he wasn't a starter for most of this season except when Church was hurt. But I think when he did play he actually played better then he ever has. But yeah, Church had become an untouchable in our secondary. Sort of like Carr. No matter what he did he was going to be the starter and unquestioned leader in the secondary. Change is a good thing for this secondary. I'm sort of excited for the real opportunity to upgrade Church's spot. By all measures he has been a very mediocre player.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yep, I must be missing something if losing Wilcox, Church, and Williams is considered bad.

The only way Dallas will improve their defense-unfortunately- is to lose guys and be forced to replace them. Church and Wilcox have never been threatened with losing their jobs, even though they have sucked back there for the most part.
Wilcox did lose his job.:unsure

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well I think Wilcox sort of has. I mean he wasn't a starter for most of this season except when Church was hurt. But I think when he did play he actually played better then he ever has. But yeah, Church had become an untouchable in our secondary. Sort of like Carr. No matter what he did he was going to be the starter and unquestioned leader in the secondary. Change is a good thing for this secondary. I'm sort of excited for the real opportunity to upgrade Church's spot. By all measures he has been a very mediocre player.
I would be interested in seeing what the secondary could do if Dallas had a consistent pass rush. They might look a little better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would be interested in seeing what the secondary could do if Dallas had a consistent pass rush. They might look a little better.
Certainly they would look better with some better pass rushers up front. Especially a dominant pass rusher. But we still ranked 13th in the NFL in sacks so I don't think we can just point to the pass rush as the sole reason our secondary couldn't get stops or turnovers. The New York Giants for example had less sacks then the Cowboys but their secondary played at an elite level most of the season. Kansas City only mustered 28 freaking sacks on the year and they had one of the best pass defenses in football.

Of course on the flip side of that you have Denver and Minnesota who both had elite pass defenses and elite pass rushes. Of course the talent in both their secondaries is pretty impressive as well.

To me it's simple, upgrade the secondary and the pass rush. Don't touch the run defense. Our run defense was actually very good last year and should only get better with Jaylon Smith.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I can make a pretty long list of safeties who I would love in this draft (Assuming the top 2 are gone)

Jabrill Peppers
Budda Baker
Marcus Williams
Obi Melifonwu
Xavier Woods
Josh Jones
Desmond King
I like Justin Evans, too. Would love to grab him in the 3rd.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I like Justin Evans, too. Would love to grab him in the 3rd.
Justin Evans is below Peppers, Baker, Melifonwhateverhisnameis, Jones, Williams and King. Woods shouldn't even be in the same discussion.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well, that is not going to change for a while until we can buy a pass rusher in FA.

From the way things look, we will end up going with the Mayowas etc. for a while.

When you read about the faith they have in Lawrence and especially Gregory, I am preparing myself for the FAIL in April.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Justin Evans is below Peppers, Baker, Melifonwhateverhisnameis, Jones, Williams and King. Woods shouldn't even be in the same discussion.
Well, yeah. I don't think he was naming guys that he thought were at the top of their position. Just guys that he likes. Those other guys are gonna be gone in the first two rounds. I mentioned Evans in the 3rd. I like Xavier Woods, too. The guy has been productive, but somebody we could probably snag in the 6th.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I just like Xavier Woods. I know he is a little later round guy but he runs really well and has excellent ball skills. I just like him. I guess a sleeper for me. You're talking about a guy with experience playing the single high safety spot. He has like 14 interceptions over a 3 year span. And he ran a very good 4.54 forty. Call him a pet cat of mine. I think he is flying under the radar.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well, that is not going to change for a while until we can buy a pass rusher in FA.

From the way things look, we will end up going with the Mayowas etc. for a while.

When you read about the faith they have in Lawrence and especially Gregory, I am preparing myself for the FAIL in April.
That's probably correct because they aren't approaching the defense in the same manner they put together the offensive line. They keep trying to hit a home run in the bargain basement.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I'd rather keep Wilcox than Church, especially if he's half the price.
Sure Wilcox at half cost is superior to Church, but it is still a loss of talent and net gain in cost. Wilcox is not consistent, so we're hoping the light finally turns on. Hard to see that, but I guess you need somebody back there.

Dallas is losing a lot of underrated talent this year and it sucks.

Going to be hard for a rookie draft to replace a stud of an OG, solid #2 WR, and starting safety-- all while attempting (again) to bolster the defensive front.

Hitting more than three in any draft like we did in 2016 is a major success. Odds are we won't two years in a row, especially drafting 28th.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure Wilcox at half cost is superior to Church, but it is still a loss of talent and net gain in cost. Wilcox is not consistent, so we're hoping the light finally turns on. Hard to see that, but I guess you need somebody back there.

Dallas is losing a lot of underrated talent this year and it sucks.

Going to be hard for a rookie draft to replace a stud of an OG, solid #2 WR, and starting safety-- all while attempting (again) to bolster the defensive front.

Hitting more than three in any draft like we did in 2016 is a major success. Odds are we won't two years in a row, especially drafting 28th.
We are going to replace our starting guard with the starting guard who once upon a time beat him out for that job and then got hurt. No replacements in the draft needed there.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We are going to replace our starting guard with the starting guard who once upon a time beat him out for that job and then got hurt. No replacements in the draft needed there.
Unfortunately the guy starting ahead of him was handed the position and was never as good of a guard.

He could be an even better RT, though, if we let him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Unfortunately the guy starting ahead of him was handed the position and was never as good of a guard.

So, now Collins isn't as good as Leary? Or, maybe I'm reading that wrong. Surely, I'm just reading that wrong.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The only way Dallas will improve their defense-unfortunately- is to lose guys and be forced to replace them.
That's what I'm thinking too.

We have not been very proactive over the years in trying to upgrade positions on the defense, so maybe if we lose guys, we'll finally upgrade by way of having no other choice.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

What?

He wasn't handed the position. He won it based off a very solid rookie season. And as C-Rock pointed out, he got hurt and it affected his play and they were forced to sit him down.

Leary played very well, but it's not like we're in a hole by having to plug the guy back into the starting lineup who initially beat Leary out and who also has a ton of upside.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, Collins outplayed Leary his rookie year.
It wasn't even particularly close, either. The only reason Leary even saw the field last year is because Collins got hurt. Leary did well, don't get me wrong, but he is not a better G than Collins.

2233boys

Not So New Member
So, now Collins isn't as good as Leary? Or, maybe I'm reading that wrong. Surely, I'm just reading that wrong.
I'd agree. I think Leary is the better guard. If we could keep anyone in FA, he'd be my choice.

Top Bottom