One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm as concerned about some aspects as anyone, but who gives a fuck that they turned the ball over 8 times.

It's a preseason game.

Pretending this game was some referendum on the team being prepared is a little crazy.
So you're cool with not holding the backups accountable for poor play?

Apparently Garrett isn't concerned either. Which is why the wheels fall completely off whenever a star player misses a game.

1bigfan13

Staff member
They actually called 9 against the offense? I'm shocked they actually penalized some offensive players for this. The number called on offensive players probably should be higher, though.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Apparently Garrett isn't concerned either. Which is why the wheels fall completely off whenever a star player misses a game.
You are 100% right on this.

Anytime Dallas has had to rely on backups, the team has gone into a nosedive. Very telling as to Garrett and his coaching staff.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Did I say that?

All I said is that the phrasing like "This is Garrett's 8 year and we're still turning the ball over 8 times a game" for a preseason game is a little misguided and disingenuous.

I'm as concerned as the next guy about the playcalling and offensive direction but I'm not really "concerned" that Cooper Rush and Lance Lenoir suck, because, uh, maybe they just suck and there is no fixing that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
And has been dismissed already for fake news.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Did I say that?

All I said is that the phrasing like "This is Garrett's 8 year and we're still turning the ball over 8 times a game" for a preseason game is a little misguided and disingenuous.

I'm as concerned as the next guy about the playcalling and offensive direction but I'm not really "concerned" that Cooper Rush and Lance Lenoir suck, because, uh, maybe they just suck and there is no fixing that.
You basically implied that their preseason performance doesn't matter.

"who gives a fuck that they turned the ball over 8 times.

It's a preseason game."

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I'm as concerned about some aspects as anyone, but who gives a fuck that they turned the ball over 8 times.

It's a preseason game.

Pretending this game was some referendum on the team being prepared is a little crazy.
So the fact that they're seldom competitive in these games is not a reflection on Red's coaching ability or the scouting department's ability to provide depth at critical positions like QB or OL? Once the starters are pulled, why are other teams able to field NFL quality players but not us?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You basically implied that their preseason performance doesn't matter.
I didn't imply that, you may have inferred it.

I'm saying using an 8 turnover preseason performance as some sort of cumulative barometer of coaching negligence is disingenuous. As if this must be the culmination of poor instruction.

Let it happen in the regular season and I agree with you. The preseason, I have no idea what specific negative situations the coach was trying to put the players in to see how they respond. In fact, didn't Garrett arrange with Wilks to put Rush against the Cards starting D for an extended period of time?

My way bigger issue is the focus of what we appear to be trying to work on with offense. It's mind boggling.

1bigfan13

Staff member
You are 100% right on this.

Anytime Dallas has had to rely on backups, the team has gone into a nosedive. Very telling as to Garrett and his coaching staff.
This is my point. Fix the shit now instead of scrambling trying to find an answer after the backup has given up his 5th sack in the first half of a game.

The notion that poor play doesn't matter because they're backups is horseshit. Those backups are going to have to fill in at some point during the year. It would be nice if they looked semi-competent when they take the field.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So the fact that they're seldom competitive in these games is not a reflection on Red's coaching ability or the scouting department's ability to provide depth at critical positions like QB or OL?
Well, for one thing, that's absolutely not a "fact." They are almost always "competitive." The game last night was an anomaly.

Does their losing record in the preseason mean anything at all? No, no it doesn't.

Does our coaching staff and front office bear blame in not having better backups? Absolutely, but pointing to one 8 turnover preseason game as some sort of indicting evidence is retarded.

Oh no! We got blown out in a preseason game! We're gonna go 0-4!

You don't make these kind of evaluations based on preseason results. It's stupid.

Parcells got blasted in the preseason routinely.

Once the starters are pulled, why are other teams able to field NFL quality players but not us?
That's a valid question, though your characterization of how often other teams thrive with backups compared to us is unscientific, unproven, unquantified, and ultimately incorrect as anything other than cherry picked anecdotes.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Well, for one thing, that's absolutely not a "fact." They are almost always "competitive." The game last night was an anomaly.

Does their losing record in the preseason mean anything at all? No, no it doesn't.

Does our coaching staff and front office bear blame in not having better backups? Absolutely, but pointing to one 8 turnover preseason game as some sort of indicting evidence is retarded.

Oh no! We got blown out in a preseason game! We're gonna go 0-4!

You don't make these kind of evaluations based on preseason results. It's stupid.

Parcells got blasted in the preseason routinely.

That's a valid question, though your characterization of how often other teams thrive with backups compared to us is unscientific, unproven, unquantified, and ultimately incorrect as anything other than cherry picked anecdotes.
So that game we blew a few weeks ago when we had +3 turnover ratio was an anomaly? It wasn't a Jason Garrett trademark, like watching helplessly from the sideline as things fall apart? No in-game "coaching up" his players like Belichick? As for Tuna, he had a worse post-season record in Dallas than Red, so I'm not sure I'd use him as an example. Good teams don't need to establish a "culture of winning" in the pre-season, but that ain't us.

Top Bottom