Preseason HOF game | Cowboys @ Steelers | 08/05/21 Gameday Chatter Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I haven't watched the full game yet but I did get through the first ~2 quarters and thought Williams looked better than Biadasz. It's hard to tell what's what since so many guys are out on both sides and the sample size is so small, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if we started McGovern/Williams at LG/C rather than Williams/Biadasz.
I am not sold on Biadasz yet. I think the better talent combo may very well be McGovern and Williams. If you can salvage Williams at center, big win btw.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Smitty seeing through all the glass-half-full bullshit. I like it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Shocking, well known garbage players played like garbage.

This team’s lines are complete dogshit other than the old holdover mainstays of like Lawrence, maybe Gregory, Collins, Martin and Smith. Everything else sucks and I’m not sold on Biadasz or McGovern.
Draft priorities need to be pure OL/DL next year, with safety mixed in.

I'm more bullish on the OL than you but there's not much else that needs addressing.

We have probably the best WR trio in the league, Jarwin or Schultz are serviceable at TE plus we can let one walk and have what looks like a solid TE2 in McKeon, Elliott/Pollard is plenty at RB, we have about 7 serviceable CB's with the potential for more out of Diggs/Joseph, and LB should be squared away between Parsons/Cox/Gifford and probably either LVE or Neal being brought back.

There's quite literally no outstanding needs beyond the lines and safety.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I'm more bullish on the OL than you but there's not much else that needs addressing.

We have probably the best WR trio in the league, Jarwin or Schultz are serviceable at TE plus we can let one walk and have what looks like a solid TE2 in McKeon, Elliott/Pollard is plenty at RB, we have about 7 serviceable CB's with the potential for more out of Diggs/Joseph, and LB should be squared away between Parsons/Cox/Gifford and probably either LVE or Neal being brought back.

By God, we are ready to dominate the league.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
IDL is everything on defense, and we royally suck there. So, no significant playoff success for us this year.

We shouldn’t get down on Dak only because we haven’t seen him in a long time.

I’m content in 2021 to watch us have a darned good offense make plays and follow Parsons, Gregory, Diggs, and Lawrence on the other side.

Yeah I’ll be praying folks like Diggy, Golston, Gallimore, and Bohanna give us something—anything, but I’m not holding my breath.

Next year we reload at RB and maybe finally sign/draft real interior talent and a safety. Those are our only real deficiencies, even our front office has to see that, right?

data

Forbes #1
IDL is everything on defense, and we royally suck there. So, no significant playoff success for us this year.

We shouldn’t get down on Dak only because we haven’t seen him in a long time.

I’m content in 2021 to watch us have a darned good offense make plays and follow Parsons, Gregory, Diggs, and Lawrence on the other side.

Yeah I’ll be praying folks like Diggy, Golston, Gallimore, and Bohanna give us something—anything, but I’m not holding my breath.

Next year we reload at RB and maybe finally sign/draft real interior talent and a safety. Those are our only real deficiencies, even our front office has to see that, right?
Which team currently has your favorite DLine?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The team is getting thinner and thinner. Recent draft whiffs and poor free agency reinforcement, combined with the astronomical salaries to aging players and a non elite QB and overweight running back, is going to leave us needing a tear-down soon. This team is closer to needing a rebuild than the Super Bowl.

Example… you think Lawrence produces more than like 8 sacks this year? I’m not betting on it. He’s on the downside.

Yeah, I think Lawrence is still a solid player but I don't think we'll see double digit sacks from him again. In a year or two we may be trying to figure out how we can replace him. Hopefully Gregory picks up the slack.

I don't know about being close to a rebuild though. The offense is pretty elite.

Especially with new TV money and an elevated cap about to kick in, we may be able to do something there.

We need some luck with injuries though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Which team currently has your favorite DLine?
Speaking for myself, I like what the Jets have pulled together in a short time to blend with Quinnen Williams. Carl Lawson is going to blossom there. Maybe Sheldon Rankins steps it up. Not to sure about their fourth guy though.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Tampa Bay has the best DL if you include JPP/Barrett who are basically DE's.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Unfortunately we apparently announced we are done extending people this year which means nothing for Michael Gallup and he likely walks.

So add WR to the list again.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I actually think this team is way closer to a tear down than contender status.

There is a ton of fat on this roster that needs trimming. Prescott got the moon unfortunately, but Elliott, Lawrence, Cooper, and Martin are also getting astronomical salaries.

I wish this team would be proactive for once instead of always feeling like it is playing catch up to contenders by overpaying and trying to scrape into the playoff discussion.

I guess when you are pushing 80 there's no time to rebuild but I kinda feel like the team could do a quick retool if it would commit to a mini tear down.

It should have been trading away pieces like Elliott and Lawrence for years. Now that they have massive contracts they have no trade value.

But you feel like if they could turn Elliott, Jaylon Smith, Lawrence, and Cooper into handfuls of mid round draft picks that would be the best thing. Recommit to the OL and DL, saturate the team with more cheap talent, and try to give Prescott an "act two" in his 30s. QBs last forever these days.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life

There is a ton of fat on this roster that needs trimming. Prescott got the moon unfortunately, but Elliott, Lawrence, Cooper, and Martin are also getting astronomical salaries.

I wish this team would be proactive for once instead of always feeling like it is playing catch up to contenders by overpaying and trying to scrape into the playoff discussion.

I guess when you are pushing 80 there's no time to rebuild but I kinda feel like the team could do a quick retool if it would commit to a mini tear down.

It should have been trading away pieces like Elliott and Lawrence for years. Now that they have massive contracts they have no trade value.

But you feel like if they could turn Elliott, Jaylon Smith, Lawrence, and Cooper into handfuls of mid round draft picks that would be the best thing. Recommit to the OL and DL, saturate the team with more cheap talent, and try to give Prescott an "act two" in his 30s. QBs last forever these days.

i think we all agree with you in spirit, but i think some of us think Elliot and Lawrence have no trade value. So thats out. Than each deal gets harder for us after that because teams know we have no footing, we have no plan for the future, we re jsut doing for today. That will REAP us

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Jaylon Smith (immediately) and Elliott (in a year or two) are the main two cases of "fat needing to be trimmed", although if Elliott puts up 1500/10 TD's this year I don't think you can really say that about him.

I think your main issue is that the majority of our talent on the lines have peaked and/or may be in slight decline, although in some cases they're still Pro Bowl caliber players (Martin/Smith, potentially Lawrence). Collins and Gregory are the only ones who may still be ascending, although just based on their age they're close to their peaks as well even if they have more time left than Smith/Martin/Lawrence.

Other than that most of our young talent is at WR/LB/CB because that's where the majority of the resources over the last 3-4 years have went, while they've only made nominal attempts at addressing the DL.

It's a win now team, the problem is they don't make win now moves in free agency so they're basically wholly reliant on the draft to find impact players. If this team went after 1-2 impact FA's instead of signing 5-7 guys on 1 year/1.5 million deals they'd have a better shot at a Super Bowl, but instead they're just in this cycle of plugging holes with average to below average guys and hoping they strike gold in the draft.

Our roster as it stands today, assuming full health, is top 10 in the league, so by definition they should be competing for it all, but there are always those 1-2 holes they think they can plug with JAG's that end up sinking the season.

As an aside, I think Cooper/Lamb/Wilson could be a perfectly fine WR trio, although obviously I'd prefer to re-sign Gallup if at all possible.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
No doubt the prime of this team was wasted under Garrett. I thought they'd have to really hit on their draft picks to compensate for the better players aging and getting paid big contracts. But, that might be happening with guys like Lamb and Parsons and maybe even guys like Diggs and Bossman Fat.

Top Bottom