Post-Cut Questions

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm really surprised the team thinks he can play right away. If his foot was as mangled as we've heard and the surgeon really said it was the worst of that type of injury he'd seen, how can they be confident in him? He didn't even play in camp.

But also, has anyone heard what the deal was with Farniok? He actually played last year and at least was okay. How do you go from that to not even making the team or the PS?
They have to agree to come back to the PS, right? Maybe he decided he wanted a fresh start somewhere else.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
They have to agree to come back to the PS, right? Maybe he decided he wanted a fresh start somewhere else.
After I posted that I searched around and saw both things, that he didn't want to come back and that we didn't want him. I guess both could be true. But I haven't heard of him signing anywhere else, either.

Weird deal. Maybe Hoffman is just as good, but I didn't think so from what I saw.

p1_

DCC 4Life
After I posted that I searched around and saw both things, that he didn't want to come back and that we didn't want him. I guess both could be true. But I haven't heard of him signing anywhere else, either.

Weird deal. Maybe Hoffman is just as good, but I didn't think so from what I saw.
He couldn’t beat Hoffman out for the backup center spot. That’s significant.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
With the PS now set, I am still very concerned about the OL depth and especially at center.
OL is the weak link offensively for sure. It was last year too, just masked by Noah Brown and made to look better than it was by Tony Pollard.

Defensively it is still the DL. Mazi is young, Hankins is old, and Gallimore sucks. Odigizuwa is solid, not special. Lawrence is in his 10th year, and Williams may well be a time bomb.

Defense is all about Micah staying healthy and hopefully one more good year from Gilmore. Hopefully, maybe Mazi starts to get it by week10. We might be 6-4 by then, and ready for a run

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Why would they keep Wright and cut Land? Makes no sense. No one would have taken him

Indy snapped Land right up.
Let's not lose our minds here. He was a UDFA, after all. And played a position we are pretty deep.

It's not like he's some guaranteed success. Remember Bradlee Anae? He was a draft pick that people swore we would rue the day we let him go. What's he done to deserve the wailing and gnashing of teeth? 2 career tackles. But I'm sure they were very good tackles.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Why would they keep Wright and cut Land? Makes no sense. No one would have taken him

Indy snapped Land right up.

I like Land as a prospect but every year fans complain about 1 or 2 guys that get cut and go elsewhere (last year it was Ridgeway) and it almost never winds up being an impactful loss. So I'm not going to wring my hands over losing Land.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope. Last year at WR they had Lamb and literally no one else. They had Dak throwing passes to Noah Brown, Simi Fehoko, and Dennis freaking Houston.
Yeah the Oline last year wasn't bad. The Oline this year would be good if they stay healthy. Of course if they don't it's the same problem as last year. You hope a guy like Tyler Smith is even better. Plus you hope you at least upgraded the Oline coach even if you don't like the new guy.

Ultimately we are kind of the same once Tyron goes down. I guess no McGovern but I don't think he was anything to get get excited about.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Nope. Last year at WR they had Lamb and literally no one else. They had Dak throwing passes to Noah Brown, Simi Fehoko, and Dennis freaking Houston.
I think the WR issues disguised the line’s issues, but without Steele we were average up front last year

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We didn't have our starting 5 on the OL together for literally the entire season last year, I don't think there's a single team in the league who would be much better than "average" under those circumstances.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We didn't have our starting 5 on the OL together for literally the entire season last year, I don't think there's a single team in the league who would be much better than "average" under those circumstances.
We had guys miss time, but almost no teams experience perfect continuity on the OL over 17 games, right?

The Eagles had a ridiculous 5384 snaps from their top five OL while we had 5080, about 94% of that.

That’s not as bad as some teams.

The Rams were decimated with an insane 3048 (57%). Sure, they finished out of the playoffs, but the 49ers who made the NFCC only had 4706 (87% of the Eagles).

We depended way too much on those guys to elevate Dak and Zeke, and need more guys like Pollard who can succeed regardless of what the OL does.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had guys miss time, but almost no teams experience perfect continuity on the OL over 17 games, right?

The Eagles had a ridiculous 5384 snaps from their top five OL while we had 5080, about 94% of that.

The Rams were decimated with an insane 3048 (57%). Sure, they finished out of the playoffs, but the 49ers who made the NFCC only had 4706 (87% of the Eagles).

We depended way too much on those guys to elevate Dak and Zeke, and need more guys like Pollard who can succeed regardless of what the OL does.
I'm really not sure why you are doing the numbers that way. It makes no sense. It should just be a percentage of total snaps of that team. Every NFL team has a different number of total offensive snaps. You can't just treat them like they all had the same number of offensive snaps.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm really not sure why you are doing the numbers that way. It makes no sense. It should just be a percentage of total snaps of that team. Every NFL team has a different number of total offensive snaps. You can't just treat them like they all had the same number of offensive snaps.
Fair enough…

Eagles: 5384= 90.72%
Cowboys: 5080= 87.43%
49ers: 4706= 85.56%
Rams: 3048= 59.58%

ZeroClub

UFA
Yeah the Oline last year wasn't bad. The Oline this year would be good if they stay healthy. Of course if they don't it's the same problem as last year. You hope a guy like Tyler Smith is even better. Plus you hope you at least upgraded the Oline coach even if you don't like the new guy.

Ultimately we are kind of the same once Tyron goes down. I guess no McGovern but I don't think he was anything to get get excited about.
Yeah. The OL was good last year, especially before Steele went down.

Stepping back for a minute and taking a 10,000 foot view, it's really something just how central the Cowboys OL has been to the Cowboys best teams of the past 30 years. Jimmy's dynasty-era Cowboys had a truly great OL, of course. The best teams of Wade and Garrett also had very strong OLs. The best of Garrett's OLs brought very strong running games, controlled the clock, and usually provided cover for suspect Dallas defenses.

It could be argued that over the past 30 years, the Cowboys have not had an especially strong season when their OL was not especially strong. The correlation is there.

Contrast that with this:

The season McCarthy won the Super Bowl with Green Bay (2010), the Packers had only one OL who made the Pro Bowl (Chad Clifton, T, as a reserve).

Maybe McCarthy's offense doesn't require quite as much from the OL. Quicker passes, less time in the pocket, more screens, better designed outlet passes. I think the 2023 offense is going to look noticeably different from we've seen in recent memory.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Our top 5 OL last year, who are the same top 5 as this year, were Tyron Smith/Tyler Smith/Biadasz/Martin/Steele, and those 5 played a total of 4,442 snaps, which is only about 76%.

The Eagles would've been lucky to win 11 games if their OL had taken that big of a hit, we were just lucky that we had a capable fill-in at LG (a luxury really) in McGovern, and even he missed a handful of games.

Top Bottom