Post-Cut Questions

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Now the dust has settled and we know what is coming up in a few weeks, where are you with the state of the team and what do you expect?

What are your major areas of concern for this squad now that roster has been trimmed but not yet set?

For me, it is pretty clear. We have a problem with interior OL depth, particularly at backup center and at guard. After that, the LB/S mumbo jumbo.

We know there will be a shift and not a Landry one, where Tyler Smith will slide to tackle, left guard goes to Asim Richards or T.J. Bass. While Richards did well there, I am not certain if Bass flipped sides.

The other concern is linebacker/safety. We seem to be snapping our suspenders like we got this, but all we have is their assurance that yeah, this showed up in practice.

Overshown getting hurt really messed them up. I realize Quinn has a shit ton of confidence in Marquese Bell, but a lot will depend on the health of Donovan Wilson's calf.

Wilson got hurt in the last week of July with a 4-6 week recovery time. So he appears to be on schedule, but I have trust issues that he will be as dynamic as we need earlier in the season.

A lot of this will make more sense tomorrow and deeper into the week as things settle but that is where I am at.

~stomp stomp~

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You're right, definitely interior OL is the concern. I'm a little concerned about RB if and when Pollard gets dinged, but it's not a major concern.

Other than that, I'm very happy with where the team is. Is everything perfect, no. But this is now a well-run, mostly smooth-functioning operation that has added a lot of talent the last three years. There are no glaring weaknesses, and a few truly outstanding young players.

I personally think the brake on this season will be that the QB may not be quite good enough. But if he isn't, that's no one's fault, really. He's still a good player, one who is too good to just dump. If he doesn't show anything in a year or two maybe you move on, but I don't blame the team for how they've handled things with him.

Barring major injuries, it should be another fun year, and then we'll just see how things break in the playoffs.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
RB, LB, DL, and OL. I’m picking OL because we always seem to lose an important player along the line at a critical part of the year.
RB because I love Pollard, but I don’t think he’s an every down type of back.
DL because the FO doesn’t seem to be in a rush to pair another pressure player to go with a generational talent like Parsons.
LB, well thanks to injury and previously drafted players not stepping up, I think we might be a bit light on proven talent there.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Cox not developing into a solid player hurts cause we’d be fine there if he was on par with Clark.

I’ve been down on Lawrence plenty but between him and Sam Williams I don’t think we have an urgent need for a pass rusher.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cox not developing into a solid player hurts cause we’d be fine there if he was on par with Clark.

I’ve been down on Lawrence plenty but between him and Sam Williams I don’t think we have an urgent need for a pass rusher.
We should be okay with the pass rush. They are playing a dangerous game with the hybrid S/LB thing.

Cox does not bother me. He had his chances to step up. It does trouble me that we also will likely have a sunk cost in Wright with that ridiculous reach.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have to admit, I have no fucking idea what Igbinoghene has to offer.

I am watching the Dolphins exhibition against the Texans and so far, he isn't a factor and very passive.

Robert Woods just whipped him decisively.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
OL depth is clearly the biggest concern but that's the case for more or less every team in the league. The Eagles have the best OL in the league but what happens if they have an injury or two?

Their backup OL are Fred Johnson, Sua Opeta, Tyler Steen and Jack Driscoll.

So they're basically up shit's creek just like everybody else.

Aside from that it's RB and LB just because we're extra thin there. Pollard is basically our only actual 3-down back and LVE is our only reliable 3-down LB.

I'm bullish on Clark and think he'll take a step this year, and I'm also confident that Quinn could work around an injury there schematically with all our safeties, but we are pretty thin.

All in all we have one of the best rosters in the league so these are minor concerns in the grand scheme, just gotta hope we can stay healthy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
OL depth is clearly the biggest concern but that's the case for more or less every team in the league.
Yeah I've been saying it all preseason. Our two best backup Olineman are rookies. It's been Asim and Bass. That's both great and scary all at the same time. But they should theoretically get better as the year goes. Unlike an Edoga type who is what he is at this point.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't know why noah igbinoghene wouldn't be ready for week 1 though. Scott can have a role too if needed. Plus Mukuamu. They should be fine.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know why noah igbinoghene wouldn't be ready for week 1 though. Scott can have a role too if needed. Plus Mukuamu. They should be fine.
We still have plenty of corners. I remember one year when we went into the season with like only 4 corners on the roster at all.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Top Bottom