Police Taser 16 year old with broken back

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
That's a good way to put it. Barring other information, someone just running isn't reason enough to go after someone.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's a good way to put it. Barring other information, someone just running isn't reason enough to go after someone.
I agree.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
You have this "at all costs" attitude about policing that implies that no violence by a cop could be unjustified even if he didn't see any threat whatsoever. You're advocating a "go with your gut" attack first and ask no questions ever attitude and it's way beyond reasonable. Do you really want police to be so violent that the public actively fears being assaulted any time a cop detains them? Is "police safety" a reason to become a third world country?

Forts would never advocate that, but there you are out on that limb. "Being a cop is so scary I don't blame them for anything they do!"

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
You're right, I don't. I'm all for more training and hiring better peeps. I love the job I do, especially when I'm out on the street and I feel I get paid far too handsomely to risk my and my families livelyhood by doing something stupid to risk it. I train constantly not just at work, but at home or even visualizing circumstances to think ahead about what I might do. Training is the key though and many places don't get near enough.

Cotton

Staff member
You have this "at all costs" attitude about policing that implies that no violence by a cop could be unjustified even if he didn't see any threat whatsoever. You're advocating a "go with your gut" attack first and ask no questions ever attitude and it's way beyond reasonable. Do you really want police to be so violent that the public actively fears being assaulted any time a cop detains them? Is "police safety" a reason to become a third world country?

Forts would never advocate that, but there you are out on that limb. "Being a cop is so scary I don't blame them for anything they do!"
:lol

I never once even implied any of that.

Iamtdg: Kill them even if there is no threat apparent

Iamtdg: Ask no questions before shooting.

Iamtdg: I think cops should detain everyone they see and assault them.

That is exactly how this debate has gone.

Cotton

Staff member
You're right, I don't. I'm all for more training and hiring better peeps. I love the job I do, especially when I'm out on the street and I feel I get paid far too handsomely to risk my and my families livelyhood by doing something stupid to risk it. I train constantly not just at work, but at home or even visualizing circumstances to think ahead about what I might do. Training is the key though and many places don't get near enough.
It's funny you say that. I was at the movies the other day, and there was someone that I thought was suspicious stick their head around the wall looking up into to the theater (probably just a theater worker checking on things) but I immediately started plotting an exit strategy in case it was a threat.

I know, I'm sick. But, I could never forgive myself if I wasn't prepared and harm came to any of my family.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's funny you say that. I was at the movies the other day, and there was someone that I thought was suspicious stick their head around the wall looking up into to the theater (probably just a theater worker checking on things) but I immediately started plotting an exit strategy in case it was a threat.

I know, I'm sick. But, I could never forgive myself if I wasn't prepared and harm came to any of my family.
I don't think you could pass the psych eval to become a cop.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't think you could pass the psych eval to become a cop.
Probably not. I've already stated that I would probably use the tazer too much. Plus, I always think the worst in regards to mine or my families safety.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Truth of the matter is that society as a whole has become more violent, citizen and police alike. The sad part is that it will likely get worse before it gets better.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Truth of the matter is that society as a whole has become more violent, citizen and police alike. The sad part is that it will likely get worse before it gets better.
Sad thing is with government budgets being mismanaged and shrinking as a whole, it may not at all. Government in general is mismanaged and could do more with less, but don't try to tell them that because fire and police is the first places they look to cut budgets safety be damned. There are so many other things they could cut, but they see us as the easy target because that's where the largest portion of most budgets is. Our frickin city put in rental bicycles and bike paths and wants to build a damn lake so lets cut PD a fire to save money. great logic.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sad thing is with government budgets being mismanaged and shrinking as a whole, it may not at all. Government in general is mismanaged and could do more with less, but don't try to tell them that because fire and police is the first places they look to cut budgets safety be damned. There are so many other things they could cut, but they see us as the easy target because that's where the largest portion of most budgets is. Our frickin city put in rental bicycles and bike paths and wants to build a damn lake so lets cut PD a fire to save money. great logic.
All of that is probably true but I am thinking more in terms of peoples mentality. There seems to be a penchant for violent acts at about every level. It is troubling but I have had a longer time to witness behavior than most.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I said it was wrong...you went out and painted law enforcement with a broad brush of all being super bad people. There are bad folks in every walk of life. I wonder if there are any positive stories about cops...or prison guards for that matter.

Very few lately, actually. Don't forget to vote.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
So in your mind the cop should have tazed these guys 1st?

I am not making lite of these horrible situations I just don't understand how they fit the conversation.

They don't.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Forts is one of the good ones, and he works for a larger, more modern police department that has actual training. In this state, the local yokel "Barney Fifes" and the highway patrol (who protect Texas from ticket shortages and don't do much else) seem to be the biggest offenders among Police. Dallas (and Dallas Area Cities), Houston, Austin, and Midland seem to usually have good departments. San Antonio... not as good. It isn't awful, but they are prone to corruption scandals.
Well, we all know that Mexicans are more prone to corruption. Many of them are only a few generations removed from Mexico. I watch my back every day living in the house that I do.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Well, we all know that Mexicans are more prone to corruption. Many of them are only a few generations removed from Mexico. I watch my back every day living in the house that I do.
I take offense here, that is absolutly not true, they are just more stupid covering it up, or just bolder if you will.
It cracks me up when people talk about the big mexican druglords, you mean to tell me there isn't an american making tons of money from the mexican drug trade? It will be the first time I hear of a mexican producer selling in the US and getting the better of the deal...

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Maybe I didn't explain properly. If I stop someone for a reason (traffic stop, noticed they were doing something I suspected was illegal, etc) then I have legally detained them and they are not free to go until I have completed my "investigation". If they run, then I WILL chase them. If I am walking down the street and just say hello to someone because I'm officer Friendly and they run, then no, I'm not chasing them.
And see, that's where we differ.

I hate when people run away as I approach.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Didn't say I didn't want to, but it can't lead to anything good in terms of reasonable suspicion or PC. If I chase someone based on that scenario, I catch them and find dope or worse get into a shooting, the arrest would get thrown out or I would wind up in jail for a bad shooting. IN that case, it isn't worth the risk and 8 out of 10 times I'll have a legit reason to deal with them another day. That's the beauty of what I do. The same people always come around again to do stupid stuff.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Not sure how many hunters we have here, but think of it this way. As a hunter, you would never want to take a high risk low reward shot on a dear way off for fear of only wounding the dear and not being able to find it to kill it. Same thing here. It's a high risk low reward scenario.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not sure how many hunters we have here, but think of it this way. As a hunter, you would never want to take a high risk low reward shot on a dear way off for fear of only wounding the dear and not being able to find it to kill it. Same thing here. It's a high risk low reward scenario.
A deer might be a better choice to shoot because a dear could be your wife. :art

Top Bottom