PFT: Ezekiel Elliott has privately said that he’s planning a training-camp*holdout

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
If "caved" is triggering, let's just say that Jerry blinked first. He could have called Zeke's bluff by playing the first three (winnable) games without him, but he panicked and waved the white flag instead. This is what happens when you have an underwhelming QB and build your team around an erratic RB -- the exact opposite of New England's approach to winning football. But what do they know?

They were gonna resign him all along and even said so the day Gurley got that massive deal he got.

People need to stop with the Patriots comparisons for everything too. This "Patriots way" works because 1) they have by far the best HC of last 25 years and 2) they have the best QB of last 25 yrs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If "caved" is triggering, let's just say that Jerry blinked first. He could have called Zeke's bluff by playing the first three (winnable) games without him, but he panicked and waved the white flag instead. This is what happens when you have an underwhelming QB and build your team around an erratic RB -- the exact opposite of New England's approach to winning football. But what do they know?

I actually think it's safe to say we built the offense around the Oline. Which actually should have allowed us to not invest crazy amounts at RB. But alas we might just not be any good at drafting backs. Zeke was kind of easy to find.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
I actually think it's safe to say we built the offense around the Oline. Which actually should have allowed us to not invest crazy amounts at RB. But alas we might just not be any good at drafting backs. Zeke was kind of easy to find.
Pollard looks like a keeper so far. We'll see how he does in real games, but he definitely looks promising.

People always get sideways if they think you don't draft the best players, and that's why they picked Zeke at 4. He was definitely the best player available and had a huge impact on the offense and our defense.

I don't think Prescott will ever be an elite passer but if he is surrounded with the right pieces and the right coach I do think he could win a championship, so a back like Zeke isn't a "luxury" it's more of a necessity for us.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We’ve been looking for a speedy versatile back and center fielding safety forever. Since before Jimmy even.

We just may have found both in one season. Even if we get nothing from the 2nd and 3rd rounds in 2019, those two things alone would be huge.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We’ve been looking for a speedy versatile back and center fielding safety forever. Since before Jimmy even.

We just may have found both in one season. Even if we get nothing from the 2nd and 3rd rounds in 2019, those two things alone would be huge.
Yeah I like what I have seen from Pollard. He already looks better than I thought when we drafted him. I hope we really use him. Zeke is sort of the type of back they never want to pull off the field. But they should for Pollard. It will keep Zeke fresher and more impactful in my opinion.

This is why I laughed when analysts said Jerry had all the leverage. Was there ever any doubt that he'd cave? They now have zero excuses not to go 3-0 out of the shoot.
I see 1-2 just because. It never fails.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah I like what I have seen from Pollard. He already looks better than I thought when we drafted him. I hope we really use him. Zeke is sort of the type of back they never want to pull off the field. But they should for Pollard. It will keep Zeke fresher and more impactful in my opinion.
They could even play both at the same time. Deception and speed are everything. When a guy circles from the backfield into a wheel route it can pressure a defense better than any FB charging straight ahead and telling everyone exactly where the play is going.

Seeing a pro set in Dallas again would be a rush. A really dangerous formation from balanced offenses and even more so when either player can run, pass block, or catch.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In one of the clauses of the contract, if Zeke were to get suspended or have another off-the-field incident, most of his guaranteed money would void, according to Ustadium.
This makes me feel much better about the guaranteed portion.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You didn't read much of this then.

What the heck did you think he was going to get? League minimum or something? His deal is not out of line with what Gurley and Bell got and in some ways is actually better for the team, than theirs was.
Yeah, because the only alternative to Gurley money is league minimum. Come on, now.

It's a position that is demonstrated via analytics to have less impact on winning on today's league. On top of that, we've had to invest highly in the OL to maximize this return, but that's costing a ton too.

We have had Elliott's back through thick and thin, yet when it came down to it, Elliott was gonna miss games if he couldn't get "top RB in the league" money. And he got it, every cent of it.

Isn't winning important to him? What about the rest of the team?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not singling out Elliott. I will trash Prescott the same way when he gets his $40m a year deal, which there is absolutely precedent now to support that Jerry will give him every red cent he asks for... as he's now done with Lawrence AND Elliott.

The guys like Jaylon Smith and La'el Collins, who accept team friendly-ish deals, should be the paragons here.

Not Elliott.

Yeah, he got his. Thanks for taking us for everything, buddy.

I don't care that "he got his money." It's the salary cap that is concerning, not Jerry's limitless supply of money.

When players and agents say "It's not my job," to manage the cap, that's a cop out and an excuse for greed. The simple fact is, they are putting themselves ahead of winning when they demand to be paid as the very, very best.

It sucks and there's no other way to say it.

Give me a soft cap and you will hear no complaining from me.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Enjoy your Collins and Smiths. They arent the norm in any profession. Maybe they took team friendly deals because they wanted to or saw the writing on the wall with the upcoming contracts (more so Collins than Smith) and knew they would have to. I know that you said that if you were a player that you would take less but this is a different NFL now. You have players exchanging Jerseys. They arent into the team as much aa the previous generations of players. It's more status and money now.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I know that you said that if you were a player that you would take less but this is a different NFL now. You have players exchanging Jerseys. They arent into the team as much aa the previous generations of players. It's more status and money now.
Yep, the few times I see these talk shows on ESPN or FS1 it seems like half the talk is about contracts and guys "getting their money" or getting paid. It's like some are more concerned about players maximizing every dollar they can get or their "brands" than the sport they play. I don't get it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah, because the only alternative to Gurley money is league minimum. Come on, now.

It's a position that is demonstrated via analytics to have less impact on winning on today's league. On top of that, we've had to invest highly in the OL to maximize this return, but that's costing a ton too.

We have had Elliott's back through thick and thin, yet when it came down to it, Elliott was gonna miss games if he couldn't get "top RB in the league" money. And he got it, every cent of it.

Isn't winning important to him? What about the rest of the team?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not singling out Elliott. I will trash Prescott the same way when he gets his $40m a year deal, which there is absolutely precedent now to support that Jerry will give him every red cent he asks for... as he's now done with Lawrence AND Elliott.

The guys like Jaylon Smith and La'el Collins, who accept team friendly-ish deals, should be the paragons here.

Not Elliott.

Yeah, he got his. Thanks for taking us for everything, buddy.

I don't care that "he got his money." It's the salary cap that is concerning, not Jerry's limitless supply of money.

When players and agents say "It's not my job," to manage the cap, that's a cop out and an excuse for greed. The simple fact is, they are putting themselves ahead of winning when they demand to be paid as the very, very best.

It sucks and there's no other way to say it.

Give me a soft cap and you will hear no complaining from me.
Elliot cAn make a case for being the best in the league at his position. Neither Smith nor Collins can make such a claim. To me, therein lies Zeke’s power. He is the single best player on our roster, and arguably best RB in the league. And he knows it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Elliot cAn make a case for being the best in the league at his position. Neither Smith nor Collins can make such a claim. To me, therein lies Zeke’s power. He is the single best player on our roster, and arguably best RB in the league. And he knows it.
I think Jaylon can but Tyron definitely can claim to be the best and he took a very team deal also.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:lol

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think Jaylon can but Tyron definitely can claim to be the best and he took a very team deal also.
And Jaylon? So soon?

As of the last 3 years (comparing to Zeke), Jaylon has been on a comeback to normalcy, much less playing at a sustained high level on a par with Zeke. Last year was outstanding, but 2 seasons ago, he was a serious liability you may recall.

Top Bottom