Pelissero: Quinn Staying In Dallas

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Great news, but did anyone really expect Moore and his 49ers/Kurt Warner exposed offense to get a HC job?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Now if ATL would just cut Grady Jarrett, Coach Q could get this defense really whipped into shape.

If I'm reading correctly, they can save $16.5mill by cutting him.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
  • Picard
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This wouldn't surprise me. And why would he want a shitty head coaching job? He doesn't want to go to the Bears with no QB or the Broncos with no QB and basically be fired in a couple of years when he maxes out a roster being held back by shitty QB play. Hell look at Fangio with the Broncos. He basically did as good as you can with that QB situation.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If I had to guess it was probably the Bears, they announced Eberflus almost at the exact same time the news broke that Quinn was returning, and the rumors were that they were down to Eberflus/Quinn and I think Jim Caldwell?

So yea, the Bears would make the most sense given that I don't think Quinn was particularly interested in that sort of situation.

Seemed like Denver or bust to me with these other interviews likely being for leverage.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There's been a special little piece of homerism floating around in my head for a month or two now that I didn't want to let out until/unless Quinn came back. Now that he's back, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that if we keep building up the defensive side of the ball we could have a poor man's early 2010's Seattle-type defense on our hands.

At their peak they were built around role-players on the interior DL (Mebane, Branch, Clinton McDonald), very good but not elite edge rushers in Avril, Bennett and Irvin, an elite LB duo in Wright/Wagner, and an elite S duo (Thomas/Chancellor) with one elite ball-hawking CB in Sherman plus average guys like Brandon Browner and Byron Maxwell filling out the CB group.

The clear area where we're lacking in comparison is at safety and the traditional "off-ball" LB's (although Parsons does fill that role to some extent), but we're pretty similar along the DL with role-players on the interior and good but not elite edge rushers, along with the ball-hawking CB. You could even argue that the level Kearse played at this year was pretty similar to Chancellor at his peak in Seattle, he wasn't quite as good but it wasn't as far off as I would've thought before looking at the stats. Who knows if he can maintain it, but I don't see why not as long as he's in Quinn's scheme.

We probably have the advantage at edge rusher with Lawrence/Gregory/Parsons, as well as CB with one stud similar to Sherman but with more depth than they had, and potentially even on the interior DL depending on how Osa/Gallimore continue to develop.

Where we're really lacking of course is at safety with someone like Thomas and traditional LB with someone like Wagner, although if we can add another legitimate pass-rushing threat in the draft either on the edge or the interior (Ojabo, Jermaine Johnson, Travon Walker, Cameron Thomas), Parsons could fill that role to some extent while also pass-rushing plenty.

I'm not really arguing one way or the other here, but if things fall right and we find another impact defensive player or two in the draft (and/or get an internal quantum leap similar to Diggs from someone like Osa, Kelvin Joseph, Chauncey Golston, etc.) we could really have something special.

Last edited:

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Yeah, no doubt the draw of having Quinn back is that the defense takes that next step.

It damn sure didn't seem phony, smoke and mirrors kind of success that they had this year.

Get Kearse back and I'm hoping like hell ATL decides to part ways with Grady J.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, no doubt the draw of having Quinn back is that the defense takes that next step.

It damn sure didn't seem phony, smoke and mirrors kind of success that they had this year.

Get Kearse back and I'm hoping like hell ATL decides to part ways with Grady J.
Jarrett would be awesome but I doubt we'd spend that money. And yea, the defense definitely wasn't smoke and mirrors, they were very average in the first half against SF but considering the whole team came out flat I blame McCarthy primarily.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
This was as close to a magic act as possible. Give a lot of credit to Parsons but he had Diggs balling and Brown/Lewis/Kearse performing at a high level.
Sounds like a repeat of last year but if we could just get a run stuffing DT, centerfield Safety and add a Kicker the roster will look pretty good. There are obvious improvements to be made on the OL as well now.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Apparently the Dolphins are still in it.
So your saying there’s a chance….

I would almost bet money that it is Harbaugh before Moore. I know Ross said no but….

maybe moore
Can go to Michigan.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was as close to a magic act as possible. Give a lot of credit to Parsons but he had Diggs balling and Brown/Lewis/Kearse performing at a high level.
Sounds like a repeat of last year but if we could just get a run stuffing DT, centerfield Safety and add a Kicker the roster will look pretty good. There are obvious improvements to be made on the OL as well now.
Gosh run stuffing DT and centerfield safety. The years change but the needs never seem to.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Gosh run stuffing DT and centerfield safety. The years change but the needs never seem to.
Pretty sure we have been saying it since Woodson left. Last big boy we had in the middle was Ferguson(?).

Top Bottom