NFL Free Agency Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

data

Forbes #1
I hate the Gore case like I hate the Curtis Martin case.

Gore is not a HOFer. He's a no brainer to get in because he's 3rd all time in rushing yards. He's that, though, only because he played forever.

He was never among the best running backs in the league in any given season. Good not great.
They put in Jerome Bettis which opened up the gates for Edgerrin James, opening the gates for Frank Gore.

Cotton

Staff member

data

Forbes #1
1 year, $1,195,000 contract. They went uber cheap.
There’s gotta be some moneyball on this shit. Is Mike Glennon really gonna win you a game more than a rookie UDFA? Backup QBs don’t even play special teams.

If Glennon is your #2, you ain’t winning shit and you’re better off taking that $1.2M to up your big free agent game, bettering your 16 games.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
There’s gotta be some moneyball on this shit. Is Mike Glennon really gonna win you a game more than a rookie UDFA? Backup QBs don’t even play special teams.

If Glennon is your #2, you ain’t winning shit and you’re better off taking that $1.2M to up your big free agent game, bettering your 16 games.
There's something to be said for having a veteran to help a young QB develop.

data

Forbes #1
There's something to be said for having a veteran to help a young QB develop.
Is there a difference between that veteran being hired as a mentor for $300k off the salary cap books wearing shorts T-shirt in practice vs $1.2M counting against the salary cap in shoulder pads?

We’re talking Andy Dalton who can win you a game...this is Mike Glennon

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Is there a difference between that veteran being hired as a mentor for $300k off the salary cap books wearing shorts T-shirt in practice vs $1.2M counting against the salary cap in shoulder pads?

We’re talking Andy Dalton who can win you a game...this is Mike Glennon
Dalton never would have signed there I don't think. Besides, I think they're rebuilding anyway so I'm not sure they're that worried about winning.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dalton never would have signed there I don't think. Besides, I think they're rebuilding anyway so I'm not sure they're that worried about winning.
Why waste the money then? It can be carried over to mext years cap if you don't spend it.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Lord knows I'm not the most observant person, but when/how did Gurley become a member of the Falcons? Didn't the Rams just give him a new deal last year?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Lord knows I'm not the most observant person, but when/how did Gurley become a member of the Falcons? Didn't the Rams just give him a new deal last year?
Rams cut him.... overpaid i guess.

data

Forbes #1
I lost you...Let me clarify. We used up $2M of our salary cap to sign a QB that has ability to win a game in Andy Dalton.

They signed a much, much shittier QB in Glennon that won't do anything to win them a game, yet they sacrificed $1.2M in salary cap. You mentioned that a veteran QB could be beneficial. I agree with veteran presence, but that veteran QB doesn't have to be suited up in shoulder pads costing $1.2M against the cap. You could sign any veteran QB to stand on the sidelines as a full-time consultant or something and it wouldn't count against the salary cap. Take that $1.2M and pool it with, hypothetically, your $5M remaining salary cap to go after a $6.5M player.

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom