NFL Free Agency Thread

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The dude just gives some of the shittiest effort. He will do well on a couple plays but the majority of them you watch with the Dolphins and he literally just stood around and did nothing. It's probably why he was able to get 5 sacks and still get benched. Sacks are great but if you suckass on all the other plays your still a liability in the end.
He spent too much time worrying about orchestrating the shittiest of sack celebrations and standing up his hot boy club, football effort was the last thing on his mind.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's surprising after the assurances I was given that he was good.
Yeah I think it was pretty clear the Falcons were not pleased with how he has produced. This is an even further indication of it since the fifth year option is only guaranteed for injury. It's a pretty low risk proposition to place the fifth year option on a guy. So when a player doesn't get it, the team clearly doesn't think much of the player.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Bad day for the pass rushers who went before Watt. McKinnley no fifth year option. Taco cut. Harris traded for basically nothing.
Weird year, it was supposed to be a great draft for DEs, but a lot of the 1st rounders have busted. Those guys you mentioned, plus Thomas hasn't been good, Barnett has been pretty mediocre.

We're basically left with Garrett and Watt among that 1st round class that lived up to anything.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Yeah I think it was pretty clear the Falcons were not pleased with how he has produced. This is an even further indication of it since the fifth year option is only guaranteed for injury. It's a pretty low risk proposition to place the fifth year option on a guy. So when a player doesn't get it, the team clearly doesn't think much of the player.
Yes, to say nothing of the fact that the Falcons went out and gave Fowler the multi-year deal and are now trading for Harris to get a look at him. It's clear that they're not happy with McKinnley.

To me, they were boneheads for not drafting Chaisson when they had the chance. But that provided better selection for the Cowboys anyway so I'm happy for that.

But the Falcons recent decision making is highly questionable in my mind.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weird year, it was supposed to be a great draft for DEs, but a lot of the 1st rounders have busted. Those guys you mentioned, plus Thomas hasn't been good, Barnett has been pretty mediocre.

We're basically left with Garrett and Watt among that 1st round class that lived up to anything.
Yeah I have to admit I liked McKinnley and Harris at the time of the draft. I think it just goes to show how difficult it is to judge DEs. I never understood the Thomas love. I was a big Barnett fan too, which he has sort of been hit or miss so far but not a bust like the other guys.

Jonathan Allen has been pretty good too although he is more of a 3-4 DE/4-3 DT type.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it also highlights how hard to is to hit on picks even in the first round. It's why when you're faced with a no brainer like Lamb you take him instead of throwing darts at guys like Chaisson who could easily go either direction.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Yeah I have to admit I liked McKinnley and Harris at the time of the draft. I think it just goes to show how difficult it is to judge DEs. I never understood the Thomas love. I was a big Barnett fan too, which he has sort of been hit or miss so far but not a bust like the other guys.

Jonathan Allen has been pretty good too although he is more of a 3-4 DE/4-3 DT type.
I will never get over the team passing on TJ Watt.

Not ever.

:angry

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I think it also highlights how hard to is to hit on picks even in the first round. It's why when you're faced with a no brainer like Lamb you take him instead of throwing darts at guys like Chaisson who could easily go either direction.
I was a Chaisson guy but even I can't have a problem with the team jumping on Lamb. It was a no-brainer when a talent like that inexplicably fell to them. And to me, it worked out so well in so many areas.
  1. They certainly foiled the Eagles plans to draft him, making themselves better and preventing a division opponent from doing the same.
  2. They stuck to their board afterwards and didn't force a pick on the DE position.
  3. They got a steal later on in Anae, considered to be the biggest value pick in the draft at that same position.
This just feels like a charmed draft, where not only did the Cowboys do the right thing when they were on the clock, but that outside factors worked in their favor and the stars aligned for them as well.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Yeah I loved Watt too. At the time I thought it was a no brainer, production through the roof, great athlete, great bloodlines. To me I felt like he was a low risk and high ceiling player.
Exactly how I felt. He was definitely a player on the rise, just starting to realize his vast potential, and you knew that there was zero question with work ethic, unlike the bum we took (and the one we took last year as well).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was a Chaisson guy but even I can't have a problem with the team jumping on Lamb. It was a no-brainer when a talent like that inexplicably fell to them. And to me, it worked out so well in so many areas.
  1. They certainly foiled the Eagles plans to draft him, making themselves better and preventing a division opponent from doing the same.
  2. They stuck to their board afterwards and didn't force a pick on the DE position.
  3. They got a steal later on in Anae, considered to be the biggest value pick in the draft at that same position.
This just feels like a charmed draft, where not only did the Cowboys do the right thing when they were on the clock, but that outside factors worked in their favor and the stars aligned for them as well.
Yeah I hate getting my hopes up for Anae in the fifth round because, well he was a fifth round pick. But had he gone in the third it wouldn't have shocked me at all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly how I felt. He was definitely a player on the rise, just starting to realize his vast potential, and you knew that there was zero question with work ethic, unlike the bum we took (and the one we took last year as well).
I think having a nonstop motor gets made fun of sometimes on this board but it's pretty damn important especially for a D-lineman. Guys either seem to have it or they don't. And trying to light a fire under a guy who is lazy and takes plays off isn't easy to do at all. Traits are great but without the energy and work ethic to do along with it they often times end up busts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Imagine how great this team might be right now if we'd taken Watt instead of Taco, and last year took Thornhill instead of Hill...
Yep, and part of me wonders if we had dumped the old coaching staff a couple years earlier if both players wouldn't be here right now.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Yeah I hate getting my hopes up for Anae in the fifth round because, well he was a fifth round pick. But had he gone in the third it wouldn't have shocked me at all.
A lot of people seemed to have him ticketed there. Some even as high as round 2 from what I've seen.

I'm not sure what you think of the LAW Nation film reviews, but he was on the guy big time in the weeks leading up to the draft.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Imagine how great this team might be right now if we'd taken Watt instead of Taco, and last year took Thornhill instead of Hill...
Exactly what I have been screaming to my fellow Cowboys fans for quite some time now.

No holes.

This team would literally have no holes at all and everything they just added in the draft would be piling on.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I think having a nonstop motor gets made fun of sometimes on this board but it's pretty damn important especially for a D-lineman. Guys either seem to have it or they don't. And trying to light a fire under a guy who is lazy and takes plays off isn't easy to do at all. Traits are great but without the energy and work ethic to do along with it they often times end up busts.
And the worst part is that there were questions about it on both Taco and Hill.

Hill's red flags were all over the place and you had to willfully blind yourself not to see them.

As for Taco, there were certainly some questions about effort and why it took him so long to develop. But yeah, 'Marinelli knows better than us'....
:rolleyes

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And the worst part is that there were questions about it on both Taco and Hill.

Hill's red flags were all over the place and you had to willfully blind yourself not to see them.

As for Taco, there were certainly some questions about effort and why it took him so long to develop. But yeah, 'Marinelli knows better than us'....
:rolleyes
Yeah I absolutely hated the Hill pick. Looked like a bust before we ever took him to me. And it has played out so far just like I thought. No more excuses for him though. This coaching staff isn't tied to him and I doubt they will want to hold on to him simply because Marinelli fell in love.

Our Dline coach will either get him to perform or he is gone. And while I would love to see him prove me wrong, nothing has shown me a reason to change my mind. I'm just glad we got a better DT in the third round this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom