New Coaching Staff Thread...

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I'm a little sad about Matt Ruhle to the Panthers...
But it does open the door for Garrett to the Giants. That would be interesting. Might answer partially the question of was Garrett the issue or was Jerry’s continual meddling still the problem.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
But it does open the door for Garrett to the Giants. That would be interesting. Might answer partially the question of was Garrett the issue or was Jerry’s continual meddling still the problem.
If the Giants hire him, the only question that will get answered is whether or not he is capable of being a decent OC.

Or we will also get to understand if he is a horrid little weasel who will knife his head coach in the back if he is in the way.

vince

Not So New Member
Yikes! Per Adam Shefter, Giants finalizing a deal to make Patriots WR coach Joe Judge next HC. :laff

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We have had many many many sad and dejecting times as Cowboys fans. I want everyone to enjoy this for a while. I'm banning Booze.
Absolutely.

We need to enjoy this little window for as long as we can because I cannot remember the last time I was this enthusiastic talking about anything in regards to the team.

Let the good times roll.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Happy Days are here again

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Too bad all of those memes about McCarthy sleeping over were wasted.

data

Forbes #1

@Texas Ace

""Garrett stated after the Washington game he wanted to continue to coach and he wanted it to be with Dallas. The high-ranking source said that had the Cowboys not been overwhelmed by McCarthy or any other candidates, there was a chance Garrett could have returned as coach.""

Smitty

DCC 4Life

@Texas Ace

""Garrett stated after the Washington game he wanted to continue to coach and he wanted it to be with Dallas. The high-ranking source said that had the Cowboys not been overwhelmed by McCarthy or any other candidates, there was a chance Garrett could have returned as coach.""
Makes sense as to why he was lobbying so hard.

The idiot Joneses left the door open for him and let him think there was a chance.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Inside the eight days it took the Dallas Cowboys to hire a head coach
11:16 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones did not enter Saturday's interview with Mike McCarthy with a preconception that he would become the Dallas Cowboys' coach less than 48 hours later, but a high-ranking source said McCarthy "blew the socks off" with his interview.

After their first face-to-face meeting lasted more than 12 hours, the Joneses felt like they did not need to talk with other candidates.

The realization that McCarthy would become the ninth coach in the history of the Cowboys -- something the team has yet to officially announce -- capped a wild chain of events that started almost immediately after the 2019 regular season ended with a 47-16 win against the Washington Redskins on Dec. 29.

Multiple sources inside the Cowboys organization thought Jerry Jones was going to make the decision to move on from coach Jason Garrett immediately after the game. Instead, it took seven days for the break to become official. Garrett's contract is set to expire Jan. 14 and his status with the team had been uncertain since last February, when the Cowboys opted not to offer him an extension.

As is customary after every season, Garrett met with the Joneses at The Star the day after the Washington game, following a brief meeting with the players in which the coach and the owner and general manager spoke. Garrett and Jones met again on Tuesday, Dec. 31 for about an hour, but no resolution was made on the coach's fate.

That night, Jones flew to Aspen, Colorado, to celebrate the New Year with family, but reports of a third meeting between Jones and Garrett on Jan. 2 were incorrect. Nothing was scheduled, and Garrett did not go into the office that day.

ESPN's Ed Werder reported on the evening of Jan. 2 that the Cowboys had decided to move on from Garrett and he would not have a role within the organization.

The high-level source said there was never a time Garrett was considered for a front-office role with the Cowboys. Garrett stated after the Washington game he wanted to continue to coach and he wanted it to be with Dallas. The high-ranking source said that had the Cowboys not been overwhelmed by McCarthy or any other candidates, there was a chance Garrett could have returned as coach.

Given the structure of the organization, there was no substantive role available for Garrett with Jerry Jones as general manager, Stephen Jones as executive vice president and Will McClay as vice president of player personnel.

Since 2014, McClay has helped build a roster the Joneses thought was the strongest since the 1990s and he was mostly responsible for the drafting of six Pro Bowl players.

Plus, the Joneses did not want the new coach to be burdened by seeing the Cowboys' former coach around the building.

The Cowboys first wanted to explore the experienced coaches available. Late in the season, Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas that college coaches have the lowest success rate of any new coaches coming into the NFL. The high-ranking source said the Cowboys did not reach out to Oklahoma's Lincoln Riley, who had been rumored as a potential candidate for two years, directly or indirectly.

On Friday, Jan. 3, Marvin Lewis, who had a 16-year run as the Cincinnati Bengals coach, arrived for the first interview, falling in line with the ESPN report that the Cowboys had opted to move on from Garrett. His interview carried over into the next morning before McCarthy's arrival later in the day.

The Cowboys' familiarity with McCarthy was mostly from afar. There was little interaction other than cursory introductions over the years. It helped that he held a 7-3 record against the Cowboys as Green Bay's coach, including two divisional-round wins in the 2014 and 2016 playoffs. A source told ESPN's Rob Demovsky that part of the Cowboys' interest in McCarthy stemmed from the fact the Joneses believed McCarthy had beat Dallas with inferior talent.

Sources said McCarthy's interview with Dallas "could not have gone better." He spoke openly about his time away from the sidelines, how he would use analytics and about who would be on his coaching staff. Before anybody noticed, his interview had lasted well past midnight.

Monday through Friday, host Mina Kimes brings you an inside look at the most interesting stories at ESPN, as told by the top reporters and insiders on the planet. Listen

McCarthy spent the night at Frisco's Omni Hotel, which is connected to Ford Center at The Star; not at Jerry Jones' Highland Park home.

On Sunday, Jan. 5, the Joneses were convinced McCarthy was their guy and they informed Garrett he would not be back in 2020, as Fox Sports first reported. Jones put out a lengthy statement thanking Garrett for his work and dedication after so many years as a player, assistant coach and head coach, dating to 1992.

On Monday, the Cowboys reached an agreement on a five-year deal with McCarthy, bringing an end to their search and the end of an eight-day odyssey that at times was an adventure -- even for the Cowboys.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Makes sense as to why he was lobbying so hard.

The idiot Joneses left the door open for him and let him think there was a chance.
I don't have any sympathy for him, but I have to say that was actively cruel. There's no reason to 'Campo' your coach, just tell him to pack his bags and have a nice trip.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

@Texas Ace

Doesn't surprise me one bit.

I will always believe that the Cowboys had significant discussions about bringing Garrett back.

I'm just glad it didn't happen.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't have any sympathy for him, but I have to say that was actively cruel. There's no reason to 'Campo' your coach, just tell him to pack his bags and have a nice trip.
Campo didn't get it anywhere near this bad.

Yes, they talked to Parcells while he was still the coach but everyone knew he was a dead man walking and the Cowboys were trying to get as big a jump start as they could.

After the 49ers loss, Campo was done so the Cowboys immediately started talking to Parcells following that loss in week 15. The very next morning after the Cowboys played their regular season finale, Campo was fired.

Garrett's situation was way different because he didn't have to be fired. He had an expiring contract so the Cowboys owed him the professional courtesy of informing him as quickly as possible what his future status would be. But I think the reason they delayed it is because they were seriously considering bringing him back.

The shitty part would be if they made up their minds BEFORE any of his lobbying attempts and yet still continued to allow him to do so while also giving him false hope. Like you, I do not have any sympathy for him but I can recognize the lack of professionalism on the Jones' part.

p1_

DCC 4Life
How do we really know that those initial meetings didn’t serve as his unofficial firing? Just because the media didn’t have anyone inside to tell us what transpired doesn’t mean it was about keeping him around .

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It’s stunning to think it was possible
Stuff like this just reaffirms my belief that NFCC or bust was never the standard for Garrett as many speculated.

It's clear that Jerry did have a goal in mind that Garrett had to meet in order to be given a new contract, but I don't think that goal was reaching X game in the playoffs. I think it was more about whether Garrett could give him hope that he could eventually get over the hump.

And as I said weeks ago, I truly believe that had he won in Philly and somehow beaten the Seahawks in the WC round, that would've been all Jerry would've needed to justify bringing him back because of his leadership and resiliency blah blah blah.

Thank you Garrett for being you. It's how we finally got out of this mess.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Stuff like this just reaffirms my belief that NFCC or bust was never the standard for Garrett as many speculated.

It's clear that Jerry did have a goal in mind that Garrett had to meet in order to be given a new contract, but I don't think that goal was reaching X game in the playoffs. I think it was more about whether Garrett could give him hope that he could eventually get over the hump.

And as I said weeks ago, I truly believe that had he won in Philly and somehow beaten the Seahawks in the WC round, that would've been all Jerry would've needed to justify bringing him back because of his leadership and resiliency blah blah blah.

Thank you Garrett for being you. It's how we finally got out of this mess.
So you thought he needed both victories to stay? Winning the division wasn’t enough

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I accept this account as being more factual than all the other reports that were coming out. I couldn’t accept some of the accounts of others because they didn’t make sense. The media people were speculating on Garrett and his so called lobbying while others such as Glazer was reporting that Garrett was still hanging around after the return of the Jones and lobbying for his job all the while the Jones had already informed him he was done. Plus the subsequent additional informed statement of the Jones notification to Garrett again. The account above clears it up and puts the actual time line of events in proper order.

Top Bottom