New Coaching Staff Thread...

midswat

... soon
Congrats on hiring MehCarthy.

Y’all still suck though.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
He's was an above average coach before he was fired. I like the fact he didn't just sit on his ass for a year. He studied up on the current game. What's working in the NFL in 2019 and what's not. Sounds like he was pretty thorough and spent many, many hours on that and reshaping his thinking and style. Read the article from Peter King with him if you haven't. Good insight into this. Coaches can get better over time. Just because it got rough with Rodgers at the end isn't the end all. Rodgers is obviously difficult to get along with as he and LaFleur were at odds.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Nolan has been the Saints LB coach the last few years so I don't think he's beholden to the 3-4.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
That's less than great. Isn't Nolan a 3-4 guy? Seems odd to switch schemes again, but any change is better than keeping Marinelli.
Nolan has done a lot of both, he coached 4-3 under Dan Reeves in NY. Admittedly I have a soft spot for him because of the Landry Tree connections. He's coached good defenses before, I wouldn't be averse to the hire.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Big picture, I think it's a solid enough hire but I'm mostly ambivalent. I definitely think he's better than Garrett but it's a bit uninspiring and definitely not a home run by any means. On the flip side I don't think there's any reason to think that the big name college guys that have been thrown around (Meyer, Riley, Rhule) would be better hires, and historically a McCarthy-like hire is probably a higher probability outcome than a Meyer/Riley/Rhule-type hire.

With that said, the search/process is a complete joke and is a reflection of how dysfunctional this organization is. They want to "win now", great, but how in the world does that mean "only someone with HC experience"?

Pederson won it all his second year, McVay made it to the SB his second year, Dan Quinn made it in like his fourth year, McCarthy himself won it his fourth year, Harbaugh won it in either his fourth or fifth year.

All first-time HC's.

It just goes to show how closed-minded and lacking in foresight this organization is.
Definitely felt rushed like McCarthy was the guy who they wanted all along. Unless I missed a report or two, Marvin Lewis was the only other person brought in for an interview....and that was likely only done to comply with the Rooney Rule requirements.

I'd have felt a lot better about the McCarthy hire if they brought in a few more people and came to this decision later in the wee. At least they I would have felt like they did their homework.

And who knows maybe someone they brought in, not named McCarthy, blows them away during the interview. Kind of like what Mike Tomlin did with the Steelers several years ago. IIRC, Tomlin wasn't considered a serious candidate but he wowed the Steelers during the interview and his eventual hiring came completely out of left field.

That's definitely not Jerry's style though. He either has to have had a previous personal relationship with you or you have to have previous NFL HC experience to even be considered for the Cowboys HC job. Everyone except for Chan Gailey fits the mold.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I won’t give a shit unless the only returning coach is Jon Kitna.

I’d almost rather have a completely fresh staff, Kitna seemed to be a positive for Dak, that’s the only carryover I’d be happy about.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Mike McCarthy went 7-3 against the Cowboys while with Green Bay, including two divisional-round playoff wins. That played a part in this decision by the Joneses. They also came away impressed with the work he did as he sat out in 2019, including a greater appreciation for analytics. He becomes the ninth coach in franchise history, following Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Bill Parcells, Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer 26m ago

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Sure but coordinators like Greg Roman aren't needing OJT just because they haven't been a HC, this is just another example of the organization being myopic.
I didn't mean to lump all coordinators and position coaches into that category. I'm mainly referring to guys like Garrett & Kellen Moore who were handed prominent NFL jobs without having to earn them.

Those guys were OJTing it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Top Bottom