New Coaching Staff Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My guess is Jerry is desperate to be competitive now because of his age. He was afraid of a learning curve.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Lot of mixed reactions so far on the interwebs and across NFL media.
Rightfully so. His departure from Green Bay was pretty ugly. He totally lost that team and then a year later, they are right back to the playoffs.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Based on what Adam Schefter is saying the Cowboys were never really interested in a college coach. Finding a coach who has NFL experience was among his top priorities.

Sounds like the senile old bastard finally realized that it's a waste of seasons to have coaches OJT.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Big picture, I think it's a solid enough hire but I'm mostly ambivalent. I definitely think he's better than Garrett but it's a bit uninspiring and definitely not a home run by any means. On the flip side I don't think there's any reason to think that the big name college guys that have been thrown around (Meyer, Riley, Rhule) would be better hires, and historically a McCarthy-like hire is probably a higher probability outcome than a Meyer/Riley/Rhule-type hire.

With that said, the search/process is a complete joke and is a reflection of how dysfunctional this organization is. They want to "win now", great, but how in the world does that mean "only someone with HC experience"?

Pederson won it all his second year, McVay made it to the SB his second year, Dan Quinn made it in like his fourth year, McCarthy himself won it his fourth year, Harbaugh won it in either his fourth or fifth year.

All first-time HC's.

It just goes to show how closed-minded and lacking in foresight this organization is.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Based on what Adam Schefter is saying the Cowboys were never really interested in a college coach. Finding a coach who has NFL experience was among his top priorities.

Sounds like the senile old bastard finally realized that it's a waste of seasons to have coaches OJT.
Sure but coordinators like Greg Roman aren't needing OJT just because they haven't been a HC, this is just another example of the organization being myopic.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rapaport just said on GMFB McCarthy is the hire and they're working on his contract now
I like it, but still wish they had at least talked to some other coaches first. It's like walking onto a car lot and buying the first car you see instead of doing some research first. It's just dumb to me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I bet McCarthy was so desperate, he agreed to bring whomever back they said.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Andy Reid lost the Eagles his last year and they made the playoffs the very next year, it happens all the time in the NFL.
I think part of Reid's deal in Philly was the power struggle with Roseman and the "Dream Team" failures. In terms of him losing that team, it was a lot different from the mess in Green Bay from what I see.

He also reinvented himself when he went to KC and brought the college concepts to the NFL.

If McCarthy is going to do that fine, but I have a feeling he really won't. I also happen to think Reid is a better football mind, honestly.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
My guess is Jerry is desperate to be competitive now because of his age. He was afraid of a learning curve.
That's understandable but also laughable considering how basically all of the top/recent winning HC's in the league right now are guys who didn't have previous HC experience at their current stop.

Payton, Harbaugh, Shannahan, McVay, Tomlin, Pederson, the list goes on and on.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sure but coordinators like Greg Roman aren't needing OJT just because they haven't been a HC, this is just another example of the organization being myopic.
They wanted NFL head coaching experience, no college coach or NFL assistant without HC experience was even a thought.

Apparently they are thinking they are this close to a Super Bowl again.

In other words, they once again tripped over their own dicks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He also reinvented himself when he went to KC and brought the college concepts to the NFL.

If McCarthy is going to do that fine, but I have a feeling he really won't. I also happen to think Reid is a better football mind, honestly.
You're probably right although from all the recent interviews and such McCarthy has done it sounds like he's been very reflecting and inward-looking in his year off in an attempt to kind of revamp how he does things.

It may be lip service but I feel like he's probably going to at least attempt to reinvent himself to some extent.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You're probably right although from all the recent interviews and such McCarthy has done it sounds like he's been very reflecting and inward-looking in his year off in an attempt to kind of revamp how he does things.

It may be lip service but I feel like he's probably going to at least attempt to reinvent himself to some extent.
He is going to have to prove it to me.

From what I see, he took a year to re-brand himself to get hired to a plum job and he found the perfect rubes to fall for it. We will see real quick how genuine that is.

GShock

DCC 4Life
That's understandable but also laughable considering how basically all of the top/recent winning HC's in the league right now are guys who didn't have previous HC experience at their current stop.

Payton, Harbaugh, Shannahan, McVay, Tomlin, Pederson, the list goes on and on.
Yeah, not a fan of re-tread city.

And Mike Nolan?

:picard

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They wanted NFL head coaching experience, no college coach or NFL assistant without HC experience was even a thought.

Apparently they are thinking they are this close to a Super Bowl again.

In other words, they once again tripped over their own dicks.
McVay
Payton
Shannahan
Tomlin
Harbaugh
Pederson
Quinn

All first-time HC's with their current teams who have either made or won the Super Bowl in their first 5 years, as well as Shannahan who is probably at least 50/50 to make it this year.

Then you have guys like McDermott, Zimmer, LaFleur, Vrabel, and Reich who have generally done well as first-timers.

Just a perfect example of how closed-minded Jerry is.

Top Bottom