New Coaching Staff Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wow, this has been amazing. I couldn't have sat down with my Big Chief tablet and #2 pencil and written out a better way for all of this to come together. Let's recap.

1. Garrett is gone! :towel :mj :happydance:fistpump:parrot

2. Jerry hires a very good head coach

3. Jerry gets the fuck out of the way and let's him bring in his own staff

4. Jerry forces zero current coaches on the new HC

5. New HC makes some way more than just solid hires for key positions on his staff

6. The assistant coaches he brings in should fix two of our biggest problems last year (STs and lack of turnovers)

7. Profit

It's amazing how fast we went from desolate to adulated. So damn awesome.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Wow, this has been amazing. I couldn't have sat down with my Big Chief tablet and #2 pencil and written out a better way for all of this to come together. Let's recap.

5. New HC makes some way more than just solid hires for key positions on his staff

6. The assistant coaches he brings in should fix two of our biggest problems last year (STs and lack of turnovers)

7. Profit

Not to be melodramatic, but it does feel a little surreal.

See, I had honestly come to the realization back in 2013 that I was never going to see this team ever win a SB in my lifetime. I had resigned myself to the idea that the Cowboys would always be a family-run business and because of this, this team would never have what they needed to truly win a SB outside of a lightning in a bottle scenario.

So while I'm not making hotel reservations or looking to purchase tickets to next year's big game, it is a bit strange to feel like the Cowboys have a shot again. I'm not placing odds on them or anything like that. I'm simply saying that I feel like McCarthy and the staff he's assembling actually gives us a chance to do something whereas under Garrett, I went into even the most promising-looking seasons feeling like it was going to fall apart.

Hell, go back to the Phil's yearly preseason poll and you'll find I picked 8-8 based on the simple idea that it was the year after a playoff appearance which to me guaranteed it would end in disappointment.

So for the first time since 2012, I'll be following the day-to-day, watching the draft, the preaseason.....all of that.

Football matters again and that's pretty cool.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Eh, this seems like blame shifting to me.
It is true Thompson didn't go out and sign many quality FA's. The year after McCarthy leaves they sign 2 guys(Smith's) that are top 10 in NFL in sacks. That's where they improved. It's not like their offense took off this season. It was the defense that improved and those 2 guys and others are a big reason.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Solidifying the DL gives us a chance. I’m sure we’ll find ways to keep Cooper and Prescott, but the interior DL has been fundamentally broken for decades.

Every great team has that powerhouse interior presence that keeps them in tough football games and is point for dominating the rest.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It is true Thompson didn't go out and sign many quality FA's. The year after McCarthy leaves they sign 2 guys(Smith's) that are top 10 in NFL in sacks. That's where they improved. It's not like their offense took off this season. It was the defense that improved and those 2 guys and others are a big reason.
Yeah, not debating they didn't sign a lot of FAs.... but that's why he couldn't do motion? I dunno about that.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah, not debating they didn't sign a lot of FAs.... but that's why he couldn't do motion? I dunno about that.
Well he did spend a year in that think tank.. Let's wait and see if there are changes to his trends.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah, that's a cop out.

At least the guy appears to recognize the poor tendencies he developed and seems to have a good idea on what he needs to do going forward.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Ahh, ok. I agree with that point. He pretty much said he got away from it in those interviews from his place in Green Bay and he probably shouldn't have. He'll get back to it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This is a homerun hire
Really? What ST guy is gonna fire you up?

7. Profit

I almost hate to say it, but Im feelin' .... home, r~r~r~run. Or is it simply the joy of purging the decade of mediocrity?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What is rarely mentioned with Garrett is that after almost 15 years in Dallas the guy had a very limited pool of coaching relationships that he could leverage. Towards the end his staff was very incestuous with a bunch of former players throughout the staff, even guys like Phillip Tanner.

He barely had any coaching experience outside of Dallas and whether he was doing it to protect himself or he had no other option, he became extremely insular with his staff and I think it would've only continued that way.

One of the concerns in the back of my mind with Meyer, Riley and even Rhule was whether or not they could put together a quality NFL staff having spent basically the entirety of their careers in college, clearly that isn't an issue with McCarthy.

p1_

DCC 4Life
What is rarely mentioned with Garrett is that after almost 15 years in Dallas the guy had a very limited pool of coaching relationships that he could leverage. Towards the end his staff was very incestuous with a bunch of former players throughout the staff, even guys like Phillip Tanner.

He barely had any coaching experience outside of Dallas and whether he was doing it to protect himself or he had no other option, he became extremely insular with his staff and I think it would've only continued that way.

One of the concerns in the back of my mind with Meyer, Riley and even Rhule was whether or not they could put together a quality NFL staff having spent basically the entirety of their careers in college, clearly that isn't an issue with McCarthy.
Marinelli, Richard and O'Quinn come to mind.

Top Bottom