NBA Chatter Thread

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

I'd boycott, but I don't watch it
That sign on the left, though...

The Morey controversy and subsequent China sucking really turned me off of that league, and I'd followed my team very closely for many years. It'll be interesting to see how their ratings are if they ever actually start up.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

NEWSJULY 02, 2020

Marcellus Wiley delivers passionate argument against NBA painting 'Black Lives Matter' on courts
'I don't know how many people really look into the mission statement of Black Lives Matter, but I did'

Marcellus Wiley (Vivien Killilea/Getty Images for March of Dimes)
BRECK DUMAS

ESPN reported this week that the NBA plans to paint "Black Lives Matter" on its courts when the season resumes, in reaction to players' insistence "that the fight for racial equality and social justice be a central part" of the league.

But Fox Sports 1's Marcellus Wiley says that is "not a good idea," and gave an impassioned speech on his show explaining why.
What are the details?
During a discussion on Wiley's "Speak for Yourself," he argued against the NBA's purported plan to paint "Black Lives Matter" on their courts, pointing to the organization's political goals as to his reasoning.
"There's a problem when you start to go down this road of freedom of expression, freedom of speech, and how much social space is allowed for those who don't support in that same space," Wiley argued. "And that's where I wonder where this is going to go in terms of identity politics. We know what identity politics does—it divides, and it polarizes. No matter how you want to look at it, that's just the effect of it no matter how great the intentions are. We all know the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Wiley read from BLM"s mission statement, voicing concern over the movement's declaration that they aim to "dismantle the patriarchal practice," and "disrupt the western-described nuclear family structure requirement."
The former NFL player and Ivy Leaguer explained:
When I know statistics, when I know my reality—forget statistics, I knew this before I went to Columbia [University] and saw these same statistics that I'm going to read to you right now.
Children from single parent homes versus two parent homes: The children from the single parent homes (this was in 1995 I was reading this) [are] five times more likely to commit suicide. Six times more likely to be in poverty. Nine times more likely to drop out of high school. Ten times more likely to abuse chemical substances. Fourteen times more likely to commit rape, 20 times more likely to end up in prison, and 32 times more likely to run away from home.
I knew that. You know why I knew it? Because a lot of my friends didn't have family structures that were nuclear like mine, and they found themselves outside of their dreams and goals and aspirations. So when I see that as a mission statement for Black Lives Matter, it makes me scratch my head.
When I also see their mission is to eradicate white supremacy. In 2020, white supremacy is the mission. Woo, that's a lot of digging through minutiae right there. I'm on a show that I'm hosting with another black guy who is hosting with me who replaced another black guy, and that's just one example of it. So, I understand, I respect your space, I respect what you're protesting for. But will you respect others who don't support that same protest?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

NEWSJULY 02, 2020

Marcellus Wiley delivers passionate argument against NBA painting 'Black Lives Matter' on courts
'I don't know how many people really look into the mission statement of Black Lives Matter, but I did'

Marcellus Wiley (Vivien Killilea/Getty Images for March of Dimes)
BRECK DUMAS

ESPN reported this week that the NBA plans to paint "Black Lives Matter" on its courts when the season resumes, in reaction to players' insistence "that the fight for racial equality and social justice be a central part" of the league.

But Fox Sports 1's Marcellus Wiley says that is "not a good idea," and gave an impassioned speech on his show explaining why.
What are the details?
During a discussion on Wiley's "Speak for Yourself," he argued against the NBA's purported plan to paint "Black Lives Matter" on their courts, pointing to the organization's political goals as to his reasoning.
"There's a problem when you start to go down this road of freedom of expression, freedom of speech, and how much social space is allowed for those who don't support in that same space," Wiley argued. "And that's where I wonder where this is going to go in terms of identity politics. We know what identity politics does—it divides, and it polarizes. No matter how you want to look at it, that's just the effect of it no matter how great the intentions are. We all know the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Wiley read from BLM"s mission statement, voicing concern over the movement's declaration that they aim to "dismantle the patriarchal practice," and "disrupt the western-described nuclear family structure requirement."
The former NFL player and Ivy Leaguer explained:
I have much respect for this man, now.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Wow. I'm shocked ESPN would even write that article. Maybe that's a tiny bit of progress.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
American coaches at three NBA training academies in China told league officials their Chinese partners were physically abusing young players and failing to provide schooling, even though commissioner Adam Silver had said that education would be central to the program, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the complaints.

The NBA ran into myriad problems by opening one of the academies in Xinjiang, a police state in western China where more than a million Uighur Muslims are now held in barbed-wire camps. American coaches were frequently harassed and surveilled in Xinjiang, the sources said. One American coach was detained three times without cause; he and others were unable to obtain housing because of their status as foreigners.

A former league employee compared the atmosphere when he worked in Xinjiang to "World War II Germany."

wow.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Not trying to defend the NBA because they (especially Lebron) are very hypocritical when it comes to human rights issues in China. But the NBA is nowhere near the biggest US company turning a blind eye to what's going on over there for the sake of making money.

Any major American company that you throw out there, is probably doing business in China in some capacity. Apple, Boeing, Nike, Coca Cola, KFC, McDonald's, Starbucks, Intel, etc., etc., etc.....all in China.

I think it would take a united effort by something like the top 20 US companies to pressure China into even consider making a change. One company can't do it alone. Hell, after Morey made his comments last Fall, China cast the NBA and that $5 billion in revenue aside without even blinking.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Not trying to defend the NBA because they (especially Lebron) are very hypocritical when it comes to human rights issues in China. But the NBA is nowhere near the biggest US company turning a blind eye to what's going on over there for the sake of making money.

Any major American company that you throw out there, is probably doing business in China in some capacity. Apple, Boeing, Nike, Coca Cola, KFC, McDonald's, Starbucks, Intel, etc., etc., etc.....all in China.

I think it would took a united effort by something like the top 20 US companies to pressure China into even consider making a change. One company can't do it alone. Hell, after Morey made his comments last Fall, China casts the NBA and that $5 billion in revenue aside without even blinking.
I agree. More companies should be reconsidering what they are doing in that country to a huge degree

The difference between companies like Nike and say McDonalds is, Nike has set up shop there. They have literally all of their manufacturing plants there. McDonalds just has stores there. What Trump has done so far is a good step towards getting those plants back home. We need to continue in that effort. Just as much as we needed to cut off our reliance on foreign oil (which Trump also has done) we need to cut off our dependence on China's exports.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The other difference is the NBA's players, media, and coaches are constantly preaching what a terrible country this is while praising China.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he is a smart man who is absolutely correct in his statement. It's just crazy how thos shit works.

You'll kneel when we tell you to kneel. You'll wear a mask when we tell you to wear a mask. You'll wear a BLM shirt when we tell you to wear one. God the conformist culture has gotten extreme.

Cotton

Staff member
What a game that Mavs/Clippers game was. Holy hell. Mavs down by 21 in the second, come back and get up by 10 at one point before giving the lead up to head to OT. Clippers go up by 1, and Mavs have 3.7 seconds left to try to win the game. Luka steps back and nails the 3 at the buzzer to secure the win. Just a really amazing game. :towel

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
What a game that Mavs/Clippers game was. Holy hell. Mavs down by 21 in the second, come back and get up by 10 at one point before giving the lead up to head to OT. Clippers go up by 1, and Mavs have 3.7 seconds left to try to win the game. Luka steps back and nails the 3 at the buzzer to secure the win. Just a really amazing game. :towel
PAWB FTW.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I worked yesterday so I only caught the 4th qtr and OT.

I love his mentality. He's one of those players who' not afraid of taking the big shot. They said that was actually his first career GW shot with under a minute to play. I was kinda surprised to hear that.

He's still a bit of a chucker from three point range....I think he needs to dial down his number of attempts given his poor 3PT shooting percentage. That and FT shooting are his only real weaknesses on offense.

Still only 21 and nowhere close to reaching his prime years. I just hope the Mavs are able to put a better team around him going forward.

Top Bottom