NBA Chatter Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most people who say they'll never watch X again usually end up watching X again. :lol

Just curious. Are we done with MLS, MLB, and the other sports and athletes who boycotted too? Or is it just the NBA?
If baseball decided to cancel the season for BLM they would definitely take a hit in terms of fans. And does MLS even have fans?

But now the NBA is back so this is all moot. NBA still doesn't excite me but I'm not going to pretend that it has to do with BLM. This whole Covid weird bubble thing has just made it lose all steam for me.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Go the fuck ahead. Finish off your piece of shit league.

The NHL is ready and waiting to take more fans.
:lol

Nobody gives a shit about hockey and they never will.

The NBA could close up shop tomorrow and nobody that watches basketball would then decide to pick up hockey as an alternative.

Hockey is a niche sport and it will never be more popular than it is right now in this country.

It's not even as popular as soccer is in this country now.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And does MLS even have fans?
Yes indeed.

I don't care for the MLS myself as I feel it's an inferior product, but as a fan of the sport, I am happy to see how much the popularity of the sport and the MLS as a league has grown in the last 20 years.

The Atlanta team, a team placed in the south in Georgia which isn't known for being some sort of soccer hotbed, averaged 52K in attendance for 2019 and 2018 which is an increase from 48K in 2017.

Do you think an NHL team in Atlanta would draw over 50K to the stadium for entire season?

Portland and Seattle have really long waiting lists for season tickets.

The MLS was 3rd in attendance for 2019 in the USA after the NFL and MLB, and above the NBA and the NHL.

With that being said, of all the sporting leagues in this country, they would probably be the least affected by any boycotting because so much of their fanbase is made up of people of ethnicity and I think they'd either support the movement or not care one way or the other.

Last edited:

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Yes indeed.

I don't care for the MLS myself as I feel it's an inferior product, but as a fan of the sport, I am happy to see how much the popularity of the sport and the MLS as a league has grown in the last 20 years.

The Atlanta team, a team placed in south in Georgia which isn't know for being some sort of soccer hotbed, averaged 52K in attendance for 2019 and 2018 which is an increse from 48K in 2017.

Do you think an NHL team in Atlanta would draw over 50K to the stadium for entire season?

Portland and Seattle have really long waiting lists for season tickets.

The MLS was 3rd in attendance for 2019 in the USA after the NFL and MLB, and above the NBA and the NHL.

With that being said, of all the sporting leagues in this country, they would probably be the least affected by any boycotting because so much of their fanbase is made up of people of ethnicity and I think they'd either support the movement or not care one way or the other.
wow, did not know this, soccer has come a LONG way

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
wow, did not know this, soccer has come a LONG way
Yeah, like I said, as a fan of the sport I think it's really cool.

The Seattle team plays in the Seahawks stadium but they're going to build them their own.

They average 40K in attendance and most of the MLS stadiums are built for 20-30K, so they will probably have the largest exclusive MLS stadium in the league.

Portland's stadium is only 25K, but there's no doubt that they would do probably double that if they had the capacity to. The Pacific NW has become a hotbed for the sport and the Portland team has led the way in season ticket sales for years now.

LA has 2 teams both with their own stadiums and they both sell out yearly.

Of the 24 teams in the league, 14 of them average 90% attendance or higher, and 18 average 80% or higher.

So yeah, it has grown far more than I ever thought it would.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Soccer is horrid.
:lol

Hey, it's not for you and I get it.

But the discussion wasn't about how good/bad it is, it's about where it ranks in popularity and it has long surpassed some of the other "major" sports in this country.

And it's still growing, unlike hockey and even baseball, really.

Hockey has been around in this country forever and it's a distant last in the USA in ratings and attendance. The interest level is what it is and it's not changing at this point.

I know it's big in the northern states, but it will always be a niche sport everywhere else.

Baseball is obviously far more popular than hockey, but it too isn't a sport that I think is going to bring in a new crowd. It's not a pick up and play type of sport and whoever likes it at this point does, and whoever doesn't never will.

Both the NFL and NBA have the potential to still grow because both continue to grow globally, especially the NBA.

The NFL still has room domestically too because everyone who comes here from another country eventually tunes in to the NFL because they know it's the king sport here that is loved by all the natives, so out of sheer intrigue, it draws in new fans.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Soccer is horrid.
I'm not a big soccer guy but I wouldn't call it horrid. It's probably 5th on the list of sports that I'd sit down to watch from start to finish.

I watched a lot of European soccer back in May & June before the US sports leagues started back up and I kinda enjoyed.

For those wondering my list of watchable sports.

1. Basketball
2. Football
3. Baseball
4. Tennis
5. Soccer

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm not a big soccer guy but I wouldn't call it horrid. It's probably 5th on the list of sports that I'd sit down to watch from star to finish.

I watched a lot of European soccer back in May & June before the US sports leagues started back up and I kinda enjoyed.

1. Basketball
2. Football
3. Baseball
4. Tennis
5. Soccer
Yeah, if you're gonna watch the sport you have to watch it at the highest level.

If you were going to get someone into football or baseball, you wouldn't have them watch the CFL or AA ball.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
But the discussion wasn't about how good/bad it is, it's about where it ranks in popularity and it has long surpassed some of the other "major" sports in this country.
True. From a global standpoint I think soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world.

The salaries of elite soccer players make the salaries of elite American athletes like Lebron James & Mike Trout look like chump change.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
True. From a global standpoint I think soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world.

The salaries of elite soccer players make the salaries of elite American athletes like Lebron James & Mike Trout look like chump change.
Oh yeah.

Globally it has always been the most popular sport, it just had never really caught on here......until now.

Really, it started with the 94 World Cup being held here. It has steadily grown since.

In the last 10 years, though, it has grown immensely in the US as the sport's stars started to be globally recognized and marketed the way we see stars in American sports with their branding.

Now you have American youth following the likes of Neymar, Messi, Mbappe, Ronaldo, etc.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm not a big soccer guy but I wouldn't call it horrid. It's probably 5th on the list of sports that I'd sit down to watch from start to finish.

1. Basketball
2. Football
3. Baseball
4. Tennis
5. Soccer
You having tennis above soccer says a shit ton about soccer. :lol

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Yeah, like I said, as a fan of the sport I think it's really cool.

The Seattle team plays in the Seahawks stadium but they're going to build them their own.

They average 40K in attendance and most of the MLS stadiums are built for 20-30K, so they will probably have the largest exclusive MLS stadium in the league.

Portland's stadium is only 25K, but there's no doubt that they would do probably double that if they had the capacity to. The Pacific NW has become a hotbed for the sport and the Portland team has led the way in season ticket sales for years now.

LA has 2 teams both with their own stadiums and they both sell out yearly.

Of the 24 teams in the league, 14 of them average 90% attendance or higher, and 18 average 80% or higher.

So yeah, it has grown far more than I ever thought it would.
I love soccer and played obsessively growing up but never thought it had a chance in the US, those numbers really surprise me

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Hockey is a niche sport and MLS is more popular?

Then why do I see hockey games on main channels and soccer is on ESPN 8 or some obscure shit like that?

TV is a pretty defining judge of which sport is more popular than which in this country.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I played a lot of soccer as a kid because it just so happened the little NAIA (at that time) college in my town won several soccer national championships. So people here were more into it than most small Texas cities.

That said, I still think it sucks.

Tennis isn't all bad, although the players tend to be huge douchebags.

I think I'd like hockey a lot if I understood it better, but it's hard for me to get that into a sport I never played.

Football is far and away my favorite sport. I guess I'll be watching tons of replays this fall.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Hockey is a niche sport and MLS is more popular?

Then why do I see hockey games on main channels and soccer is on ESPN 8 or some obscure shit like that?

TV is a pretty defining judge of which sport is more popular than which in this country.
:lol @ ESPN 8

Top Bottom