NBA Chatter Thread

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
And by the way, this is not true at all. Jokic tanked down the stretch of the regular season and Embiid went off.

To wit (paraphrased from a reddit post but these are the facts):

Jokic was actually in the lead much of the season. In early March the odds shifted slightly to Embiids favor at -110 but it was because the sixers went on an 8 game win streak at the same time the Nuggets went on a 4 game losing streak. The odds were still close up until April 4th Embiid was only at -150. That night Embiid lead the Sixers to a win against the Celtics on national tv with 52/6/13 and the Nuggets lost to the rockets by 21 and jokic went 14/10/4 with 8 turn overs. The next day the odds for Embiid MVP went to -750.
So Jokic gets down voted because of a bad 4 game stretch? Meanwhile, for the season he finishes .2 APG short of averaging a triple double for the season and posted an absurd 3rd straight year with a player efficiency rating over 30.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So Jokic gets down voted because of a bad 4 game stretch? Meanwhile, for the season he finishes .2 APG short of averaging a triple double for the season and posted an absurd 3rd straight year with a player efficiency rating over 30.

Yes. It's that close. Jokic was leading through most of the year until that stretch.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think the “Jokic haters” thing is happening now cause he was probably deserved to win the MVP again but voters down voted him purposefully cause of his lack of post season success.
Wait. You just told me the other day that Embiid and the Sixers don’t win in the playoffs. But he just won the MVP even tho they don't win in the playoffs, as you say. But now you’re saying that the voters dinged Jokic because he doesn’t win in the playoffs?

Your arguments are very… fluid.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
Wait. You just told me the other day that Embiid and the Sixers don’t win in the playoffs. But he just won the MVP even tho they don't win in the playoffs, as you say. But now you’re saying that the voters dinged Jokic because he doesn’t win in the playoffs?

Your arguments are very… fluid.
it’s a completely subjective award, so the arguments are never fluid. I don’t claim that post season success should ever effect the award. It’s a regular season award. I’m just repeating what I read was the concern from some voters.

Also, giving it to Embiid is probably just a consolation prize since he never goes far in the post season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

This organization has no clue what it is doing. :picard

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

This organization has no clue what it is doing. :picard
Dude, this would be their best hire in YEARS.

JVG is a damn good coach and brings hard-nosed defense and discipline. He's not afraid to coach stars and assert his authority.

One of the worst mistakes the Rockets made was getting rid of him for that nothing-but-offense charlatan, Mike D'antoni.

JVG absolutely belongs in the NBA and is exactly what this team needs.

I would LOVE this hire.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I wonder if he'd want to work under a fool like Kidd, though. It would be like hiring an actual excellent HC to be an assistant to Jason Garrett.

Cotton

Staff member
Dude, this would be their best hire in YEARS.

JVG is a damn good coach and brings hard-nosed defense and discipline. He's not afraid to coach stars and assert his authority.

One of the worst mistakes the Rockets made was getting rid of him for that nothing-but-offense charlatan, Mike D'antoni.

JVG absolutely belongs in the NBA and is exactly what this team needs.

I would LOVE this hire.
As an assistant?? Hell no. Get rid of Kidd and bring him in.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I wonder if he'd want to work under a fool like Kidd, though. It would be like hiring an actual excellent HC to be an assistant to Jason Garrett.
Like when we tried to hire Dan Reeves to be a consultant to Wade Phillips.

I always hated that it didn't work out because that team was pretty solid and a firm hand that knew what it was doing might have allowed that team to get further in what was a very winnable NFC that year.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
As an assistant?? Hell no. Get rid of Kidd and bring him in.
I get that part and I agree.

But it's better than nothing and who knows? Maybe the team struggles a bit and they get rid of Kidd midseason and let JVG take over.

The pressure will definitely be on Kidd now which is a great thing.

Cotton

Staff member
I get that part and I agree.

But it's better than nothing and who knows? Maybe the team struggles a bit and they get rid of Kidd midseason and let JVG take over.

The pressure will definitely be on Kidd now which is a great thing.
Kidd should already be gone. I guess this would give JVG a foot in the door but it seems like a waste of time with Kidd still there.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Like when we tried to hire Dan Reeves to be a consultant to Wade Phillips.

I always hated that it didn't work out because that team was pretty solid and a firm hand that knew what it was doing might have allowed that team to get further in what was a very winnable NFC that year.
Little different because Wade and Reeves were great friends, and in fact I think Wade was the one who initiated that. Reeves was going to hold Garrett's hand. But I think Jerry didn't want his pet overshadowed, so he killed the deal.

But I get your point. :)

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I completely forgot he coached the Rockets.

I agree with you about adding him to the staff. He wasn't a championship coach but JVG was a damn good coach who should be a nice addition to your coaching staff.

My only concern is he hasn't coached in over 15 years. So there is that concern about him having to get spun up on modern day schemes and strategies.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I completely forgot he coached the Rockets.

I agree with you about adding him to the staff. He wasn't a championship coach but JVG was a damn good coach who should be a nice addition to your coaching staff.

My only concern is he hasn't coached in over 15 years. So there is that concern about him having to get spun up on modern day schemes and strategies.
Yeah, it's been a while but I think what will help alleviate that potential issue is the fact that he covers live games all year round and has been doing it for years, so he's very much aware of what today's basketball entails.

Whoever gets him will be lucky to have him so I really hope it's us.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I've never seen a player less enthused about winning a championship.....especially their first.

Jokic just wants to go back to Serbia ASAP. :lol

Top Bottom