NBA Chatter Thread

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I definitely think they can win the west this year. OKC still does not have a legit SG and I want to see how Westbrook comes back from his injury.
They don't but Houston doesn't really have a legit PG or PF and I like how OKC matches up with them since Houston loves to get up and down which plays into OKC's hands. Plus, Perkins kind of sucks but for whatever reason he does well against Howard, probably because all he has to do is body him and be physical considering Howard has just about no offensive polish.

If Westbrook doesn't go down last year I think they make the Finals rather easily, although they'd have lost once they got there since the Heat aren't a great matchup for them. A torn meniscus is nothing serious so I expect Westbrook back at 100%.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The great thing about seeing how Houston revamped so quickly is that Hinkie worked under him and I can see the aggressiveness wore off on him. We are setting ourselves up nicely for the draft next year and could be an attractive destination for the 2015 FA class.

Carp

DCC 4Life
They don't but Houston doesn't really have a legit PG or PF and I like how OKC matches up with them since Houston loves to get up and down which plays into OKC's hands. Plus, Perkins kind of sucks but for whatever reason he does well against Howard, probably because all he has to do is body him and be physical considering Howard has just about no offensive polish.

If Westbrook doesn't go down last year I think they make the Finals rather easily, although they'd have lost once they got there since the Heat aren't a great matchup for them. A torn meniscus is nothing serious so I expect Westbrook back at 100%.
I think Lin will be very good with this current set up. Harden handles the ball quite a bit anyways, so I don't think they need a traditional PG. I'm not real worried about their PF position...I like Smith and they could just go small and surround Howard with shooters.

gator

Brand New Member
I would have no problem with trading Asik.
I think they will. They're leaking these denials in hopes of maintaining his trade value. There's no way you pay Asik that much to back up Howard. Playing them together would be disastrous.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they will. They're leaking these denials in hopes of maintaining his trade value. There's no way you pay Asik that much to back up Howard. Playing them together would be disastrous.
I am by no means an expert on the NBA but they obviously were far enough under the cap to sign Howard. It's not like they are desperate for cap room. I would imagine if they could trade Asik for a good starting PF or something they would, but if not why not hold on to him? Howard gets hurt. Having a good backup certainly wouldn't hurt the Rockets.

gator

Brand New Member
I am by no means an expert on the NBA but they obviously were far enough under the cap to sign Howard. It's not like they are desperate for cap room. I would imagine if they could trade Asik for a good starting PF or something they would, but if not why not hold on to him? Howard gets hurt. Having a good backup certainly wouldn't hurt the Rockets.
Sure, but he's already disgruntled and too expensive for the impact he'd make. He makes up about 15% of their total cap, and there's no chance he's on the court in crunch time unless Howard's hurt.

They should try to flip him for a stretch PF as you mentioned. The strategy with Howard at C and Lin/ Harden handling the ball is pretty simple. Run pick and rolls through Howard and punish the D if they collapse on the paint by kicking out to elite shooters.

Jiggyfly

Banned

The lack of a 3rd scorer is going to hurt OKC I can see them taking a step back this year unless Lamb steps up.

I really think the West will be up for grabs there are 4 teams with a legitimate shot, I can't say Houston is a true contender until I see what else they do with the roster, Delfino was a huge part of their success last year, they will miss his 3 point shooting.

I will say this if all of the young guys continue to improve the sky is the ceiling and the real scary part is that Terrence Jones has the skill set to be the perfect 4 for this team, its amazing the young talent Morey has assembled.

Asik will be gone by the trading deadline I think they want to see what is needed once the team has played together awhile.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am no fan of Lin and would definitely like to see an upgrade but I have to give him props as a guy who can hit some big shots so I could see him doing well as the 3rd or 4th option, he has to improve as a catch and shoot guy for this to really work out.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think Lin will be very good with this current set up. Harden handles the ball quite a bit anyways, so I don't think they need a traditional PG. I'm not real worried about their PF position...I like Smith and they could just go small and surround Howard with shooters.
Smith is not a starting PF he has no game outside of 10 feet, Terrence Jones is the guy to keep an eye on.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It will be interesting to see who steps into that third scorer role for OKC.

As it stands now, Reggie Jackson looks like the odds on favorite to be the 6th man/third scoring option.

I thought he did well in the playoffs considering the circumstances. He made a few reckless plays that cost us some close games but he's a young guy who is still improving.

I'm not too optimistic about Jeremy Lamb making a big leap. I think he's still a year or two away. He's got a nice stroke but he needs to add more to his game.

I suppose in the meantime he will be best served as a spot of shooter who spaces the floor and makes teams pay for doubling Durant.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
According to SI.com, Metta World Peace will be amnestied by the Lakers.

---------------------------------------

The Los Angeles Lakers will cut forward Metta World Peace using their amnesty provision, the Orange County Register’s Kevin Ding reported Monday.

The move will provide the Lakers with about $30 million in salary and luxury tax savings, according to Ding. World Peace is owed about $7.7 million next season, the last on an expiring contract.

The 33-year-old World Peace averaged 12.4 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game last season in 33.7 minutes. He underwent meniscus surgery late in the season. He returned in time for the Lakers’ playoff series against the San Antonio Spurs, but clearly was not the same player. He sat out Game 4 of that series and watched the Lakers get swept in a 21-point loss.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Smith is not a starting PF he has no game outside of 10 feet, Terrence Jones is the guy to keep an eye on.
You need a dirty work guy there at PF...Smith would fit that bill perfectly.

D

Deuce

Bynum offered a 1 year, $12M deal with Cleveland. He needs to take that and cash in just in case his knees suck.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
According to SI.com, Metta World Peace will be amnestied by the Lakers.

---------------------------------------

The Los Angeles Lakers will cut forward Metta World Peace using their amnesty provision, the Orange County Register’s Kevin Ding reported Monday.

The move will provide the Lakers with about $30 million in salary and luxury tax savings, according to Ding. World Peace is owed about $7.7 million next season, the last on an expiring contract.

The 33-year-old World Peace averaged 12.4 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game last season in 33.7 minutes. He underwent meniscus surgery late in the season. He returned in time for the Lakers’ playoff series against the San Antonio Spurs, but clearly was not the same player. He sat out Game 4 of that series and watched the Lakers get swept in a 21-point loss.
He can still help a team.

His defense is still top notch.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It is a one year deal with a team option for the 2nd year.

Cleveland though? Dallas? Feh. He needs to go to a team that has a legit chance to win...may have to take a MLE somewhere. I'd look at GS if I was him. He could split time with Bogut.

D

Deuce

Reading some twitter feeds about the Orlando Summer League, some great stuff going on.

@DavidBaumann33: Danny Ainge just yelled at ref: "That was perfect defense." Larry Bird responds: "What do you know about defense Ainge?" Hilarious. #Celtics

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'll tell you what...Olynyk has looked pretty good the first couple of games.

Top Bottom