NBA Chatter Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For rural America-Iowa white guy, I get that. To innercity kid who grew up dreaming of playing in the place, it's different.
Hey, I have no dreams of moving back to Iowa either though. I'm certainly not one that wants to live in the country. Just New York has never been appealing to me other then for purely business reasons.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Unrestricted free agent Ray Allen is talking with the Cavaliers and Rockets while continuing to contemplate retirement.
Allen is still undecided on whether he wants to return for another NBA season, or retire after 18 years in the NBA. He has reportedly been in talks with both the Rockets and Cavaliers, but is yet to speak with his former team. "We knew that he wanted to take some time and be patient to see where he is," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. "We'll see what happens." Whether he chooses to play next season or retire, Allen will go down as the greatest three-point shooter in the history of the NBA.

Rotoworld

Tony D

DCC 4Life
For rural America-Iowa white guy, I get that. To innercity kid who grew up dreaming of playing in the place, it's different.
This is true. People from Texas, Iowa, etc. don't get the big city.

D

Deuce

I was hoping someone could explain to me the great draw?
Basketball is king in NY. Much like football in the south, hockey in Canada, etc. Kids grow up there wanting to play basketball first and foremost. MSG is an extension on that. Most of them are Knicks fans and that's where the Knicks play. They all watch college basketball and until last year, the Big East was what they watched most and their tournement every year was at MSG. There's a reason it's called The Mecca.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basketball is king in NY. Much like football in the south, hockey in Canada, etc. Kids grow up there wanting to play basketball first and foremost. MSG is an extension on that. Most of them are Knicks fans and that's where the Knicks play. They all watch college basketball and until last year, the Big East was what they watched most and their tournement every year was at MSG. There's a reason it's called The Mecca.
That explains why New York is a draw for people from New York but I was under the impression that some where claiming New York is a big draw for NBA free agents (and professional free agents) in general. A lot of NBA players come from areas not in New York. I doubt Broadway is bringing those guys in.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That explains why New York is a draw for people from New York but I was under the impression that some where claiming New York is a big draw for NBA free agents (and professional free agents) in general. A lot of NBA players come from areas not in New York. I doubt Broadway is bringing those guys in.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
This is true. People from Texas, Iowa, etc. don't get the big city.
I know they aren't the size of NYC but Houston, SA, and DFW are plenty big. I think the big city is got here in Texas.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'm sorry, but compairing NYC to Houston is like compairing England to Mexico...

Jiggyfly

Banned
I was hoping someone could explain to me the great draw?
For a basketball player its exposure look no further than Linsanity as an example of what that market can do for a player.

As for the city itself its a lifestyle choice some people want that hustle and bustle some don't but don't act like its overrated maybe not your cup of tea, but it lives up to its reputation.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I know they aren't the size of NYC but Houston, SA, and DFW are plenty big. I think the big city is got here in Texas.
New Yorkers tend to be mostly the same. Everything is better and more delicious and faster and cooler in New York. And the people are shitty and rude there but that is somehow comforting and better than people who aren't dicks. Yawn.

Jiggyfly

Banned
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-lottery-reform-is-coming/

The NBA submitted an official proposal to reform the lottery this week at competition committee meetings in Las Vegas, pushing aside the Wheel idea in favor of a revised weighting system that shifts each team’s odds of getting the top pick, per several sources who have seen and reviewed the league’s proposal.

The proposal, which dominated the lottery-reform discussion in league meetings this week, is essentially an attempt to squeeze the lottery odds at either extreme toward a more balanced system in which all 14 teams have a relatively similar chance at the no. 1 pick, per sources familiar with the proposal.

The proposal also calls for the drawing of the first six picks via the Ping-Pong ball lottery, sources say. The current lottery system actually involves the drawing of only the top three selections. The rest of the lottery goes in order of record, from worst to best, after the top-three drawing is over.

The league could implement lottery reform as early as next season, though there are many hurdles to overcome before then.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
When you go to NYC on business do you just stay around Midtown? If so, you have to get away from there and explore the city. Midtown and Times Square are full of tourists and such. We always stay downtown. I enjoy exploring all the different neighborhoods in the city. Head down to the Village, Chelsea, SoHo, East Village, Little Italy (which is shrinking), Tribeca, etc. Great food, great bars. Even the Upper West and East Sides. Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx have some cool neighborhoods to hit as well.

I like the vibe of the city. There's just an electricity there I don't get many other places, if any. I work in DC and there is no vibe here. Totally different.

And I think the people from NY get a bad rap. Most of the people we meet in the city are not assholes. The thing is we don't go to the clubs where I'm quite sure they're tons of assholes. My wife and I hit the dive bars, the Irish Pubs, etc. and there are literally thousands to choose from. Great time.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't think MSG is that big of a draw anymore.

It was to kids in the 90's and even the early to mid 2000's? But now?

The Knicks have been so bad for a long that the appeal of playing there isn't what it used to be.

I don't think a 16 year old junior with high hopes dreams of playing in the Garden, but I could be wrong.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think MSG is that big of a draw anymore.

It was to kids in the 90's and even the early to mid 2000's? But now?

The Knicks have been so bad for a long that the appeal of playing there isn't what it used to be.

I don't think a 16 year old junior with high hopes dreams of playing in the Garden, but I could be wrong.
Disagree...it is still a big draw to play there because there are constant reminders of who had big scoring games there...just based on it being MSG.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
South of Dupont Circle. Moving to Charleston, SC in 3 weeks though. Been in DC for 10 years.
Indeed, I'm pretty close to there although I've actually been considering moving to either Nashville or Charleston oddly enough.

Top Bottom