Must See Movies

Kbrown

Not So New Member
The use of Captain Marvel as an antagonist in the Kingdom Come comic was pretty good.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Cavill is going to be in The Man From UNCLE next. He's going to get big.
I was reading in one review how he has missed several chances in his career. Came in second place to Daniel Craig to play Bond. Was supposed to be the gay emo vampire in the Twilight movies, but was too old to play him when they actually started working on them. Was considered for Superman Returns, but lost to Brandon Routh. Good for him for getting his break.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
One thing that bothered me about the Superman movie.

They did not pay homage to the second Reeve Superman. Just name the bitch Ursa and the clod Nod and it would have been fine. But they didn't. Pissed me off.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
This Is the End was pretty damn funny. Typical dumb humor you would expect from this group but with a different/interesting storyline. Well worth seeing if you're a fan of this type of humor, IMO.

D

Deuce

This Is the End was pretty damn funny. Typical dumb humor you would expect from this group but with a different/interesting storyline. Well worth seeing if you're a fan of this type of humor, IMO.
That's pretty much what I'm expecting which makes me want to see it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Man of Steel was really good, but not on a Batman Begins level. The alien stuff was bigger than I would have liked.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Man of Steel rocked... best live action Superman movie. I did not think they would have the balls to go where they did at the end. When it happened, the entire theater gasped. As a lifelong Superman fan, it was an EPIC moment. Not so much for this particular movie, but for the Superman franchise as a whole. They did it, and they did it right. Props to Christopher Nolan.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Man of Steel rocked... best live action Superman movie. I did not think they would have the balls to go where they did at the end. When it happened, the entire theater gasped. As a lifelong Superman fan, it was an EPIC moment. Not so much for this particular movie, but for the Superman franchise as a whole. They did it, and they did it right. Props to Christopher Nolan.
Definitely the best Superman movie ever made, IMO. I also liked how they touched on his childhood via brief flashbacks instead of wasting a lot of time with long drawn out scenes dedicated to showing how he grew up. At this point we all know the Superman back story so it was nice to see that there was no overkill in that department.

And I was surprised when he killed Zod as well. Normally you don't see the main villains killed in comic book movies.

Last edited:

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Must suck to be Zack Snyder and David Goyer. Everyone has been talking about the "Nolan" Superman. :lol

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Man of Steel rocked. The crazy destruction evoked 911 memories which probably freaked a lot of people out. They basically showed all the shit that got destroyed that Disney chose not to in Avengers.

This is not a "comic" movie, it's a new style altogether and I'm happy for it. This approach though misses its target audience that needs to see cheesy winks at the camera, Lois being taken for romantic trips, and cats being saved from trees. That shit has been done and it's time to move on.

BTW, I'm a huge Superman fan, and while they could have named one of the Kryptonians "Non", Faora has always been Faora in the comics and was only Ursa in the first two movies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
BTW, I'm a huge Superman fan, and while they could have named one of the Kryptonians "Non", Faora has always been Faora in the comics and was only Ursa in the first two movies.
I was a little shocked that they didn't name her Ursa...but then again I haven't read a Superman comic in years. She was pretty bad ass.

My question is how exactly could she have perished in the crash...Superman wouldn't have.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I was a little shocked that they didn't name her Ursa...but then again I haven't read a Superman comic in years. She was pretty bad ass.

My question is how exactly could she have perished in the crash...Superman wouldn't have.
She was smoking hot, though it's kind of a plot hole how...

... she remained so despite having aged 33 years! As for the crash, everyone on that ship (including the ship itself) ended up getting sucked into the Phantom Zone. Superman barely carried Lois away as it almost sucked him in too.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The alien stuff was bigger than I would have liked.
It totally "alienated" my brother. He couldn't stand it after seeing just that much. Basically people are willing to accept Luke Skywalker hanging with crazy mutants in bars, but not Superman. I think the genres colliding is a bit jarring.

The 1978 Kryptonian civilization was cold and more god-like than really alien.

data

Forbes #1
Just saw MoS and I was underwhelmed. Too much Matrix. The destruction was over the top.

It also seemed overly dramatic for a 'first' movie with the super villian and end of the world theme. I'd think that's more reserved for a third movie. How does the sequel top this movie - Lex Luthor or any other human villian would seem to be anticlimactic.

Btw - Superman's mom was hot. Reminded me of Deanna Troi, Star Trek: TNG.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
I liked it, don't get me wrong, but there were just certain things went on too long...and some not long enough.

Zod was good, but he monologued way too much. In their fight scene, every time there was a lull, he had some kind of threat or insult to say. He even had farm smack against Superman.

Kal-El becoming Superman was underwhelming...oh, here's your suit, you have powers, go. He needed a Ras Al Ghul. He struggled flying once, then had that shit mastered. I like me a good training sequece.

Russell Crowe was in it too much...and Costner was not in it enough.

Top Bottom