Must See Movies

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Spider-man Homecoming did not disappoint.

Very well done. I even liked all the supporting high school characters.

I may check it out again next weekend.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Ok, I enjoyed Spiderman, but some things annoyed me.

The lack of spider sense. He should never have been surprised by any of the attacks that came his way, least of all that stupid scene with the Shocker in the parking lot at prom. Next, the gadgetry in the suit given him by Stark. Again, jacks with the whole Spidey ethos that he relies on that stuff. HE had the Spidey sense, and a tracker he developed and the web shooters. Almost done, They are going to screw with Mary Jane. My first red-headed crush. This is blasphemy. Another, the best friend that knows who he is also screws things up because part of Parker's appeal was his loneliness until MJ. Plus the kid has the name of someone who is one of the villains in the comics. and Lastly, it moved really slow in a bunch of spots.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Spiderman Homecoming was enjoyable, but I was disappointed. Holland is excellent and the kid who played Ned was funny. There were just no iconic moments in it for me. Raimi's version is superior. I feel like not mentioning Uncle Ben, The Daily Bugle, and the "MJ" moment was weak as hell. We see Mac Gargan twice...who is well known as Scorpion in the comics...and he is played by some nobody. Keaton was great too, but they overly Disney'd this movie. Even the eventual big showdown between Spidey and Vulture was weak. Yes Jon Watts...we get you were influenced by John Hughes, get over it. We see the suit Stark gave him in Civil War...which makes shit way too easy for him. He is basically Iron Man in a Spiderman suit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Spiderman Homecoming was enjoyable, but I was disappointed. Holland is excellent and the kid who played Ned was funny. There were just no iconic moments in it for me. Raimi's version is superior. I feel like not mentioning Uncle Ben, The Daily Bugle, and the "MJ" moment was weak as hell.
Yes, but we didn't need his origin story yet again. How many Uncle Bens have to be killed off? We have already had Cliff Robinson and Martin Sheen. The dad dying trope has been played out anyways. Besides, this movie is definitely a mash up of old Spider-Man from the 1960s, Ultimate and also the Miles Morales one.

We see Mac Gargan twice...who is well known as Scorpion in the comics...and he is played by some nobody.
That actor is Michael Mando, played Nacho on Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. If they are going to make more movies with him as a psychopath, I think he can pull it off. I also noticed others that are up and comers in this, like Bokeem Woodbine from Fargo.

We see the suit Stark gave him in Civil War...which makes shit way too easy for him. He is basically Iron Man in a Spiderman suit.
Now this part I agree with. It would not shock me to see a bunch of Tony Stark built Spider Men. Kind of like the Iron Man and War Machine suits being passed around. That is probably how they will introduce the Miles Morales character. They already have set the table with the Prowler.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Watched Homecoming tonight and then I just had to stay later and watch Baby Driver again.

That is such a good movie. It is the first flick other than Star Wars as a kid that I had to see twice in the theater.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I did not need them to re-hash Uncle Ben, but at least mention it. It would be good to at least know why he is motivated to become a crime fighter. With so many differences from previous versions I think it would be good to clarify. We know why Toomes is what he is, but not so much with Peter. They retconned the kid in the Iron Man mask from Iron Man 2 to be Peter Parker, so it could have easily been done.

I liked the movie, but Raimi's were just so much better. I think any solo Marvel movie is very limited because they ultimately have to stay within a structure to push forward the overall Marvel company line. That is why Wonder Woman was so much better...like Spidey in Civil War, she was introduced in BvS, but they did a much better job of fleshing out how she got there.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Like most...I loved Baby Driver. Wright is a vreat director, Scott Pilgrem is criminally underrated, so to see him just get complete freedom on a big movie was great. The dialogue was so good, reminded me of Pulp Fiction in that way....it was easy to be invested in all the characters.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I guess I may have to go see Baby Driver this weekend. I still have yet to find anyone that has seen it that didn't like it. Matter of fact, I have yet to find anyone that didn't completely rave about it. Not even a single "it was just okay" type of review.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Like most...I loved Baby Driver. Wright is a vreat director, Scott Pilgrem is criminally underrated, so to see him just get complete freedom on a big movie was great. The dialogue was so good, reminded me of Pulp Fiction in that way....it was easy to be invested in all the characters.
Jon Hamm was very good, as was Spacey.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Jon Hamm was very good, as was Spacey.
Hamm was great in it for sure...I liked Bats crew too. Bernthal was only in it for a minute, but the sequence where he points to go forward and Baby slams it in reverse is such a cool sequence.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't know if I mentioned it before, but Free Fire was kind of in the dame vein as Baby Driver...definitely worth checking out.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I guess I may have to go see Baby Driver this weekend. I still have yet to find anyone that has seen it that didn't like it. Matter of fact, I have yet to find anyone that didn't completely rave about it. Not even a single "it was just okay" type of review.
I try to go into movies with no expectations because I am hard to please. I thought it was one of the funnest movies I've seen in a long time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I try to go into movies with no expectations because I am hard to please. I thought it was one of the funnest movies I've seen in a long time.
I liked the old fashioned charm. There was a main character, who was simple, a bunch of noise around him. Baby had a heart and his shit together.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I liked the old fashioned charm. There was a main character, who was simple, a bunch of noise around him. Baby had a heart and his shit together.
I feel like we are grooving together for the first time ever.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am intrigued. Explain.
Free Fire is basically a 1 hour gun shoot out...with good actors dropping excellent lines. Hell, Armie Hammer was actually charming in this. Bree Larson, Cilian Murphy, and Sharlto Copley...who was frigging hilarious. It is way over the top, but just kind of has that vibe that the movie does not take itself too seriously. Excellent ending.

Carp

DCC 4Life
When the fuck are they going to release Goon 2? The first one is an alltimer for me.

Cotton

Staff member
Finally watched Baby Driver. It was good, but I think I went in with my expectations a little too high after reading all of the hype. I did not see a great movie. The cinematography was well done, but it was just a good movie too me. Again, maybe I had my expectations too high.

Cotton

Staff member

Oh. My. Goodness.

Carp

DCC 4Life
These trailers were awesome a few few months ago.

Top Bottom