Must See Movies

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
13th was pretty cool and informative.
Yeah it was. I watched it a few months back.

After watching that documentary I don't see how anyone could be against lighter sentences for drug offenses.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yeah it was. I watched it a few months back.

After watching that documentary I don't see how anyone could be against lighter sentences for drug offenses.
No doubt. Even Newt agrees with this, which is shocking.

There has to be a way to bring the races together in a two-step process of helping black and brown folks break some cycles.

1. Communities need to own up to their problems within their culture by breaking the poverty mentality that keeps them enslaved.

2. The white community needs to open their damn eyes to what part they have played and build some real bridges.

As a semi-cracker I can say that even as a well intention-ed person I have blind spots that has prevented me from seeing the whole picture. I just wish there was a way to lower the hostility and make some progress.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As far as my position on pot,etc., I really don't care which way the rulings go but however it sifts out the players are going to have to comply. If they don't and get caught then I don feel sorry for them.

1bigfan13

Staff member
As far as my position on pot,etc., I really don't care which way the rulings go but however it sifts out the players are going to have to comply. If they don't and get caught then I don feel sorry for them.
We aren't talking about the NFL. We're talking about the way the laws are heavy-handed against drug offenders. Particularly when it comes to drugs that are easily accessible to minorities.

For instance, in the documentary that Skid and I are talking about, they gave several examples of how the drug laws that were put in place in the Reagan era seemed like they put in place to target the poor and minorities. One example of that was used was how they handled crack cocaine offenses. Possession of a single gram of crack lands you an automatic minimum sentence of 10 years but a person caught with several pounds of heroin, which is notoriously known to be one of the drugs of choice for people who are well off, could easily get off with less than a year served.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We aren't talking about the NFL. We're talking about the way the laws are heavy-handed against drug offenders. Particularly when it comes to drugs that are easily accessible to minorities.

For instance, in the documentary that Skid and I are talking about, they gave several examples of how the drug laws that were put in place in the Reagan era seemed like they put in place to target the poor and minorities. One example of that was used was how they handled crack cocaine offenses. Possession of a single gram of crack lands you an automatic minimum sentence of 10 years but a person caught with several pounds of heroin, which is notoriously known to be one of the drugs of choice for people who are well off, could easily get off with less than a year served.
Okay. My mistake.

1bigfan13

Staff member

There has to be a way to bring the races together in a two-step process of helping black and brown folks break some cycles.

1. Communities need to own up to their problems within their culture by breaking the poverty mentality that keeps them enslaved.

2. The white community needs to open their damn eyes to what part they have played and build some real bridges.

As a semi-cracker I can say that even as a well intention-ed person I have blind spots that has prevented me from seeing the whole picture. I just wish there was a way to lower the hostility and make some progress.
I especially agree with your first point. But the problem is anytime someone brings it up most of us ("us" being black people) get defensive about it. Even when other blacks bring it up they are always met with resistance and Uncle Tom-like insults.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I especially agree with your first point. But the problem is anytime someone brings it up most of us ("us" being black people) get defensive about it. Even when other blacks bring it up they are always met with resistance and Uncle Tom-like insults.
I'm not trying to speak for black peeps, but I can tell you I think at least part of the problem is our society glorifies victims to such a degree that it becomes so attractive that even in the face of poverty it seems a more appealing route than breaking the cycle. This is only a guess going off of how I view our society's stance on victimization. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that theory.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Hidden Figures was a pretty good flick as well. This was one of those movies that had me reading through Wikipedia after watching it just to read up on some of the astronauts, shuttles, and incidents that were referenced in the movie.

Jim Parsons is pretty much only known for his Sheldon character on Big Bang, so it was kind of weird seeing him playing the semi-antagonist role.

My only real complaint is the actors they used to play John Glenn and other astronauts looked way too young. Glenn and the others were Colonels/Commanders in the Marine Corps and Navy which would put them at around 40 years old. In fact when I was reading through Wikipedia I figured out that Glenn would have been about 40 years old during the time period referenced in the movie. However Glenn and all the other astronauts looked like 22 year old frat boys in the movie.

Jiggyfly

Banned

More people from all sides need to do what you did right here and admit they have a blindspot.

And the 2nd thing is not get defensive when somebody tells you their truth, it might not be accurate but at least have empathy for how they feel about an issue.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm not trying to speak for black peeps, but I can tell you I think at least part of the problem is our society glorifies victims to such a degree that it becomes so attractive that even in the face of poverty it seems a more appealing route than breaking the cycle. This is only a guess going off of how I view our society's stance on victimization. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that theory.

Dude, I don't even know where to begin.

This probably needs to be moved to the race thread.

Edit: and after a bit of reflection I realized I need to take my own advice and not come off so snarky, so my bad.

But I still totally disagree with that assumption.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Dude, I don't even know where to begin.

This probably needs to be moved to the race thread.
Edit: and after a bit of reflection I realized I need to take my own advice and not come off so snarky, so my bad.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

It is more of a theory than an assumption. Obviously, I can't assume anything since I have never been in that cycle. I have been in poverty before, though, so that part of it all I can speak to. The cycle thing I cannot. Although, my family was extremely poor when I was a kid, and I followed that with almost being homeless as late as age 25, I still have not been in that deep of a cycle.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

So yeah, this is really going to make things easier in the current climate.

But I bet it makes a shit ton of money though.

Jiggyfly

Banned

So yeah, this is really going to make things easier in the current climate.

But I bet it makes a shit ton of money though.
1st time I have seen an extended in trailer and it looks better than I thought.

From the reviews I have read it plays up the comedy much more than what is shown here.

Top Bottom