MLB Chatter Thread

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And of course it would be Adolis who would break it up.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I know it's the Astros so no one will like it, but it's really damn impressive to witness someone throw 14 innings straight of no hit ball.

I appreciate it. If it was a brave or a met I wouldn't, but I don't hate the Astros that much.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Another one following Angels path of shitty work

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Another one following Angels path of shitty work

The plate work was unreal last night. I'm tired of it. I'm not a huge fan of robotic strike/ball callers, but Jesus.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't like the idea of robotic calls. The game was just fine for 100 years. It's only gotten ridiculous recently. They need to do a better job of policing their umpires. This Angel Hernandez bullshit is way beyond absurd. There has to be some kind of grading system for their umpires, and if they don't make the cut, then they are GONE. And make the grading public.

Same thing in the NFL. Both of these leagues are worth billions of dollars. It's nonsense to look at them as a secondary thing to the game. They are part of the game itself. Hire your officials full time and pay them better, making it more enticing to have this job. Then hold them to a standard they must meet to be able to keep this job. Mistakes are going to be made. That's part of the beauty and charm of sports, having the human element. But they should only happen once in a great while, and be a surprise when they do. Not multiple times per game, FFS.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Like Federal employees, if they're vested, it's hard to get rid of them. Robots can call balls and strikes, but you still need humans to call close plays on the bases or in the field.

Genghis Khan

There has to be some kind of grading system for their umpires, and if they don't make the cut, then they are GONE. And make the grading public.

I don't think that's the answer. I've said this before but the nba has a grading system and it appears to make absolutely no difference, the officiating is still awful.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
They've been using robot umpires/electronic strike zones at the Triple A level since last season. That means it's probably only a matter of time before we see it at the MLB level. Usually they like to test run big changes for a season or two in the minors before they decide to change things in MLB..

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't think that's the answer. I've said this before but the nba has a grading system and it appears to make absolutely no difference, the officiating is still awful.
This would also go hand in hand with where I said they need to do a better job of policing their officials, and getting rid of them if they don't make the grade. That's where we're lacking.

Genghis Khan

This would also go hand in hand with where I said they need to do a better job of policing their officials, and getting rid of them if they don't make the grade. That's where we're lacking.

Sure, but why aren't they? There's nothing stopping them other than an overinflated union.

Top Bottom