MLB Chatter Thread

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Going to end up with pitching machines as well if the guys keep getting hurt.
They're going to have to re-look how pitchers are developed. It seems to me that pitching injuries are an issue created by youth programs and everyone trying to throw hard as hell rather than learning how to properly pitch.

Pitchers from 25+ years ago routinely threw complete games, pitched over 200 innings, and went well beyond 100 pitches during their starts, and rarely did you see any of them needing Tommy John. Even mid-tier pitchers would have heavy workloads with little to no damage being done to their arms and shoulder.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Back in my day Frank Viola would throw a 135-pitch complete game on 3 days rest. /old man rant

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
They're going to have to re-look how pitchers are developed. It seems to me that pitching injuries are an issue created by youth programs and everyone trying to throw hard as hell rather than learning how to properly pitch.

Pitchers from 25+ years ago routinely threw complete games, pitched over 200 innings, and went well beyond 100 pitches during their starts, and rarely did you see any of them needing Tommy John. Even mid-tier pitchers would have heavy workloads with little to no damage being done to their arms and shoulder.
That's exactly what they need to do. Tim Kirchen was just talking about this last night on the pregame show. We need to go all the way down to the youth leagues and teach them how to pitch. He also said that he was talking to Orel Hershiser and he commented that today's 100 pitches would be the same equivalent to 130 pitches during his time. It's just Max effort and Max spin.

Last edited:

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
They aren't though. You're either safe or out. It's fair or it's foul. It's a catch or it's not. Where's the judgment?
At the moment, a robot can't tell if you trapped the ball or tagged a guy at the plate. You need humans on the field or in the replay booth to do that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
At the moment, a robot can't tell if you trapped the ball or tagged a guy at the plate. You need humans on the field or in the replay booth to do that.

Yes it can.

Also, it's not judgment, it's perception. And robots have better perception than humans.

Rev

Staff member
Somebody got moved to the separate hard drive.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Somebody got moved to the separate hard drive.
OT, but I guess you survived the eclipse freak invasion?

Rev

Staff member
OT, but I guess you survived the eclipse freak invasion?
Yep. The weather forecast kept most of the visitors away from this area which was nice.

We did get see the eclipse through the breaks in the clouds all the way through its progress.

Rev

Staff member
If you watch the Ranger game tonight there are supposed to be a group of fans dressed as umps. This group is organized by a TikTok creator and has had some big events in the past. The section wide Shohei Otani sign last season was organized by his group. The big banner this past weekend. They stole the roll call the Yankees do (I don't agree with this one and wouldn't participate).

Anyways hopefully there will be a lot of participation.

Rev

Staff member

Top Bottom